Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

mods before supercharger???

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 10:28 PM
bobbadio

Default mods before supercharger???

So I have a 2007 mustang gt 5 speed, i've been talking to a bunch of different people and I have been getting different answers from everyone. I'm planning on installing a supercharger in a few months but do I need any mods to the car so my car can handle the supercharger???? exhaust, gears, etc..... PLEASE HELP!!!!
Old 09-18-2009, 12:40 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

I just put a supercharger on my car.

My advice - don't try fixing stuff that isn't broken. Just get the supercharger and then decide what, if anything, you need. You aren't going to break the car or yourself because you didn't have mods x,y,z before getting blown.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:24 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

True to the above but I have exp. that rear suspension mods (at least) and one piece DS and bigger brakes or better yet SS lines and new brake fluid (DOT4) and new brake pads to stop a car that is much faster then before. Have I done any of them yet? Nope so it is not necessary but recommended at some point in the future.

If you get FI just make sure it is a complete kit inc. new larger injectors, possibly a BAP or GT500 dual pumps, new plugs, and intercooled regardless of how little psi your running. Makes a huge difference for the T/S S/C's (Whipple, Saleen, KB) in regards to heat soak which robs power!

post it up if you do get FI....you wont regret it!
Old 09-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Vapour Trails
3rd Gear Member

No, you don't need anything.

If anything, go to a taller gear. My 4.10s are coming out very soon. You simply cannot make use of the added torque/power with 4.10s on the street. I can only go WOT in 3rd gear, 1st and 2nd are completely useless.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:52 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

need? a tune after, bout it. if your going to use the supercharger, control arms, good tires, things of nature to not spin through a set of tires in a month. more fuel=more power, so money for a fuel pump, MAF, they say put new plugs in before you tune, it depends on what kind of numbers you want to put up. what do you NEED for 600hp.. yes.. everything you can think of. so post up some goals... and we can tell you what you need for that. if it doesn't matter, you'll need a tune after you install. good luck
Old 09-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

I agree with all of the above... main thing that helps though is good tires and upgraded LCAs (and anti-squat brackets if lowered). That's all I have for now and mine hooks up surprisingly well with what's in my sig.

Good luck as getting blown will make you smile everytime you get behind the wheel and nail the throttle!
Old 09-18-2009, 10:15 AM
shanec
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Doogie65
Good luck as getting blown will make you smile everytime you get behind the wheel and nail the throttle!
That's the truth! During this morning's commute I passed a guy with just a tap of the throttle. This thing pulled as hard in 4th gear, half throttle, 2300 rpm as it used to pull in 2nd gear, WOT, high rpm.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:44 AM
dkersten
2nd Gear Member

The only mod I would do before the supercharger is the savings account mod.. you are going to need money once you start going FI.. Gauges, suspension, gears, tires, engine dress, and a whole slew of supporting mods will add hundreds or even thousands to your price, so be prepared to spend more money than just the supercharger.

Personally, I would not do shorter gears than 3.73's.. I took my 4.10s out and put the 3.73s in just before the supercharger, and I am glad I did.

Suspension is not that expensive to modify (relatively) and can make a big difference. New LCA's, relocation brackets (especially if you are lowered), an adjustable upper control arm, and even adj. panhard are all good investments. The relocation bracket will impact your traction more than anything. Be prepared for more NVH though..

If you plan to go higher than 500 rwtq, plan for a clutch, and it is usually a little easier to install before a supercharger (a positive displacement one anyway) because you can tilt the engine back easier. If you are doing 10psi or less, no need for a clutch (or if you have an auto trans, of course).

Gauges are not a necessity, but if you are doing the install yourself, then they can come in handy to verify things are working properly. Personally, I did a tripple pillar pod with AF ratio gauge (most important in my opinion), boost gauge (more for coolness factor than anything), and Aeroforce Interceptor gauge (monitor any OBD2 parameter).

Otherwise, any good supercharger kit will have everything else you need.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:06 AM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

you dont need them...but Long Tubes work quite well with FI. I would beef up the supsension, better meats, gears.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:39 PM
bobbadio

Thanks everyone for the help, I really appreciate it.

Quick Reply: mods before supercharger???