Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Engine Oil...What kind to use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 09:39 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hattrick58
5w20 synthetic. its what the engines clearances are designed to run. spec no less and really no thicker.
I don't believe that for a second. Do you really think the clearances are different between the 3v and the 2v's of yesterday that ran thicker oil? How about cars sold overseas that spec 5w30?

http://synthetic-motor-oil-air-filte...mmendation.htm
Old 10-03-2009, 09:46 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap

As far as viscosity, use what it specifies in the manual. Don't second guess what millions of dollars in R&D to design the vehicle/engine have resulted in as far as recommendation. I believe its 5w20 iirc.
oh brother! You think Ford spent millions testing and developing this motor to run 5w20?
Old 10-04-2009, 06:35 PM
2006Boss
1st Gear Member

Royal Purple oil and filter...
Old 10-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Your Owners Manual (that thing in the glove box made of paper... Don't worry. It won't burst into flames if you open it) states "ENGINE OIL RECOMMENDATIONS" when it discusses 5W20 for the V8 and 5W30 for the V6. It does not say that is REQUIRED. Use what you feel confident using after you've researched the topic to your satisfaction.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Amsoil 0W20 with Amsoil filter.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

Amsoil 5w20XL + Amsoil Ea filter.

Look up WRXTransformed on Mustangforums. He slings Amsoil as a part time job. He got me a good deal.

Here's his profile, just shoot him a PM.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...nceformed.html
Old 10-05-2009, 09:07 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
oh brother! You think Ford spent millions testing and developing this motor to run 5w20?
You think they just dumped the **** in there cause its what was left over in the used oil pan? I think they spent millions designing the car/motor yeah. Millions on the 5/20 topic, obviously not.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:28 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KTownGT
Amsoil 5w20XL + Amsoil Ea filter.

Look up WRXTransformed on Mustangforums. He slings Amsoil as a part time job. He got me a good deal.

Here's his profile, just shoot him a PM.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...nceformed.html
OR become an Amsoil preferred member. I save $2.10 per quart and $8.25 per gallon on their 0W20 ASM oil and $4.15 on their Ea filter as compared to their retail prices in addition to the other stuff I buy from them. Membership is only $20/year.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:18 PM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

Or you can befriend an Amsoil rep and get an even better deal, and not have to grab a membership.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:39 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by moosestang
I doubt you can go wrong with motorcraft filters. I use Wix filters, but only because that's what my motorcycle needs and i mail order them in bulk. I've been using mobil 1 since new, but plan to try pennzoil platinum at my next oil change, which is about a week ago, lol! I had my oil analyzed a few months ago and will send off a sample of the current used oil again. Then when the pennzoil is done I'll have it analyzed to see if it is better than mobil 1.
Let me know Moose what your findings are (I was thinking of switching and trying pennzoil). I have been seeing many commercials and they compare to Mobil1 that they are 5x better job of getting sludge out and lubricating the motor etc.....that's a big claim and wonder if there is any validity to it.....thanks
Originally Posted by Mudflap
The filter is more important than the oil choice IMHO. Any of the major brand oils will suffice, providing you change it at a realistic interval for your use. Synthetic is probably a waste of money for most users as you're unlikely to ever see any appreciable difference in the time you own a car. I believe the manual calls for a blend, I'd use that if you don't want to spring for the full synthetic. As far as filters go, just stay away from the cheapies like Fram. The Mobil1 and Motorcraft filters are good. I use K&N oil filters and have for many years.

As far as viscosity, use what it specifies in the manual. Don't second guess what millions of dollars in R&D to design the vehicle/engine have resulted in as far as recommendation. I believe its 5w20 iirc.

I change mine once a year, but the car has 2800 miles on it and I bought it a year ago (and changed it last fall at 1000 miles -- after the blower install). Its running Mobil1 at the moment, not sure what I'll put in next. I hate buying synthetic because I know deep down its a waste. The fact that I only change it yearly is what caused me to say 'f it' when I bought the Mobil1 last time.
I have to agree (comment in bold) and the motorcraft filters are some of the best....though I use K&N as well and Mobil1 syn right now and have since the first oil change about 3 yrs ago. Thinking of making the switch to pennzoil like stated above but will wait for the oil analysis Moose gets done before I switch over....so that will be in about a yr as I have the Mobil1 right now for the last oil change of the season (time for storage)

Quick Reply: Engine Oil...What kind to use?