Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Steeda's Aluminum Driveshaft for A/T

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 08:22 PM
Acerbus
1st Gear Member

Default Steeda's Aluminum Driveshaft for A/T

I recently saw that AmericanMuscle.com updated their inventory with driveshafts for the S197 Mustangs (FINALLY!), and looking through the merchandise, I see Steeda has two offerings. One for Manual and one for Auto transmissions.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/steeda...ft-0509gt.html

I've read around and it seems that Steeda's driveshaft is merely a rebadged Spydershaft. So my question is, what's the deal with these two offerings from Steeda? What's different in each? How come other people with Spydershafts have had no problems with both A/T and M/T cars? (I've only found the "one-size-fits-all" Spydershaft through all the web)

Any info appreciated. I'm considering doing this mod on my car.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:03 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Acerbus
I recently saw that AmericanMuscle.com updated their inventory with driveshafts for the S197 Mustangs (FINALLY!), and looking through the merchandise, I see Steeda has two offerings. One for Manual and one for Auto transmissions.

I've read around and it seems that Steeda's driveshaft is merely a rebadged Spydershaft. So my question is, what's the deal with these two offerings from Steeda? What's different in each? How come other people with Spydershafts have had no problems with both A/T and M/T cars? (I've only found the "one-size-fits-all" Spydershaft through all the web)

Any info appreciated. I'm considering doing this mod on my car.
Hi there. Our shafts are not Spydershafts. Our shafts are custom made for us by a private drivetrain manufacturer that can handle the volume we now do in driveshafts both for retail sales and wholesale distribution.

We offer 2 different part numbers mostly for tracking purposes. It helps with tracking customers vehicle stats in their purchase history. We keep the same parts numbers for wholesale distribution just to avoid confusion on that side.

The shafts themselves are the same between automatic and manual for our shaft from a manufacturing standpoint as far as GT models are concerned. On GT500 it is a different and specific shaft for that application.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:02 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Nice info Gus. It's definitely nice to see a company so actively posting details about their products here!
Old 09-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Acerbus
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
Hi there. Our shafts are not Spydershafts. Our shafts are custom made for us by a private drivetrain manufacturer that can handle the volume we now do in driveshafts both for retail sales and wholesale distribution.

We offer 2 different part numbers mostly for tracking purposes. It helps with tracking customers vehicle stats in their purchase history. We keep the same parts numbers for wholesale distribution just to avoid confusion on that side.

The shafts themselves are the same between automatic and manual for our shaft from a manufacturing standpoint as far as GT models are concerned. On GT500 it is a different and specific shaft for that application.
OK. Placing my order now. It may be priced higher than other DS products out there, but if this one is good enough for Steeda, it's good enough for me. I've had good luck with all the other Steeda stuff I have on my car already.

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:31 PM
Acerbus
1st Gear Member

The driveshaft is in. Zero issues with the installation or the car afterward. Didn't need to adjust pinion angles or anything (my car is not lowered). No vibrations up to 110mph and only noticed a new, very slight metallic resonance sound coming from under the car.

Felt a few more vertebrae snap backward with the driveshaft on during a spirited test drive; specially during WOT shifting on this automatic transmission and the VMP tune.

Very pleased.

Damn, I just realized how much Steeda stuff I have on my car now. Maybe they should start sponsoring me.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:57 PM
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus

Any issues installing on a manual car thats lowered approx 1.5 "??
Old 10-10-2009, 08:17 PM
GeritGoul
3rd Gear Member

what is the torque rating on these shafts? ?
Old 10-12-2009, 03:43 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Acerbus
The driveshaft is in. Zero issues with the installation or the car afterward. Didn't need to adjust pinion angles or anything (my car is not lowered). No vibrations up to 110mph and only noticed a new, very slight metallic resonance sound coming from under the car.

Felt a few more vertebrae snap backward with the driveshaft on during a spirited test drive; specially during WOT shifting on this automatic transmission and the VMP tune.

Very pleased.

Damn, I just realized how much Steeda stuff I have on my car now. Maybe they should start sponsoring me.

Thanks for the feedback!! We never get enough of this it seems. It always seems the customer calls or writes when something goes wrong, and you never get enough feedback from everyone else who is happy.

I verified this months ago in a long experiement where I called pretty much every single customer that bought from me the month before. (that was a long list.. LOL) and everyone that I had not heard from were ecstatic with their purchase. Only ones that I had heard from within that time frame were people who needed help if an issue came up.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:45 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 14901490
Any issues installing on a manual car thats lowered approx 1.5 "??
In a lowered car you definitely want to check the pinion angle. Other than that you should have no issues.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:46 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GeritGoul
what is the torque rating on these shafts? ?
We rate them by horsepower and rate them at 650 rear wheel horsepower.

Quick Reply: Steeda's Aluminum Driveshaft for A/T