Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

brooksspeed email tune

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 03:39 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Default brooksspeed email tune

I just received my email tune from brooksspeed. Eric Brooks like Doug can write tunes for both SCT and Diablo. According to the butt dyno, this tune feels stronger than the 91 tq tune from Bamachips, which in itself is an awesome tune. With the brookspeed tune, I was actually able to chirp the tires shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I have not noticed a loss of power in the upper rpm ranges.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:52 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

congrats, glad you like the tune
Old 10-06-2009, 08:22 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

I am surprised that his tunes are not mentioned more often. I believe he runs the site over at modularfords
Old 10-06-2009, 09:43 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i'm sure as time goes on and if he
continues to produce good work,
he'll gain in popularity. we all have
our favorite tuners.
Old 10-07-2009, 01:55 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Glad to hear you're happy with the new tune. I've heard that Eric does quality tuning work.

However, IMHO it's very possible that one or more of the following factors, and not the new tune, may have been the reason why your car felt more powerful, and was able to chirp the tires on a 2-3 shift.
I realize there are others, like tire tread softness, but I consider these to be the primary ones.

(1) Installation process of the new tune.
This wipes any conservative driving parameters from the ECU's memory, which many owners claim increases the engine's responsiveness and power output.
My car starts feeling sluggish when I drive it conservatively for an extended time. When this happens I reinstall the tune, and it feels like the lost power and responsiveness is restored.

(2) Ambient temperature and relative humidity.
These increase engine power when either(or both) are low, and decrease power when either(or both) are high.
No doubts hear. My car definitely has more power, runs faster, and chirps the tires more easily when the temps get cooler, and/or the air gets drier.

(3) Road surface condition, material, and temperature, and tire tread temperature.
When I drive on several roads made from different materials with varying degrees of smoothness on the same day with the same weather conditions, I'm able to get a nice 2-3 chirp on some of the roads and no chirp at all on the others.
Similarly, I cannot get a 2-3 chirp on a specific road when the weather is hot and humid, but get a nice 2-3 chirp on the same road when the weather is cool and dry.
In fact, when the ambient temperature drops into the 40's and below, and the road surface and tire tread temperatures have also cooled down considerably, I'm able to very easily spin the tires from a low speed rolling start in 1st and get the car almost sideways during the 1-2 shift on almost every local road. I can do neither of these on any road when the ambient temperature, road surface, and tire treads are hot.

Just some food for thought.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:56 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ski
Glad to hear you're happy with the new tune. I've heard that Eric does quality tuning work.

However, IMHO it's very possible that one or more of the following factors, and not the new tune, may have been the reason why your car felt more powerful, and was able to chirp the tires on a 2-3 shift.
I realize there are others, like tire tread softness, but I consider these to be the primary ones.

(1) Installation process of the new tune.
This wipes any conservative driving parameters from the ECU's memory, which many owners claim increases the engine's responsiveness and power output.
My car starts feeling sluggish when I drive it conservatively for an extended time. When this happens I reinstall the tune, and it feels like the lost power and responsiveness is restored.

(2) Ambient temperature and relative humidity.
These increase engine power when either(or both) are low, and decrease power when either(or both) are high.
No doubts hear. My car definitely has more power, runs faster, and chirps the tires more easily when the temps get cooler, and/or the air gets drier.

(3) Road surface condition, material, and temperature, and tire tread temperature.
When I drive on several roads made from different materials with varying degrees of smoothness on the same day with the same weather conditions, I'm able to get a nice 2-3 chirp on some of the roads and no chirp at all on the others.
Similarly, I cannot get a 2-3 chirp on a specific road when the weather is hot and humid, but get a nice 2-3 chirp on the same road when the weather is cool and dry.
In fact, when the ambient temperature drops into the 40's and below, and the road surface and tire tread temperatures have also cooled down considerably, I'm able to very easily spin the tires from a low speed rolling start in 1st and get the car almost sideways during the 1-2 shift on almost every local road. I can do neither of these on any road when the ambient temperature, road surface, and tire treads are hot.

Just some food for thought.
You bring up some valid points. Prior to installing the new tune, I had just installed Bamas 91 tq tune the day before, so I don't think that was the problem. Temp was not an issue, it was about 65-70. The real tests will be at the dyno and the track.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:58 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

Also according to Eric, the whole sacrificing power up top for power down low or vice verse is an internet myth. His tunes don't sacrifice power. I have not noticed any lose of power up top.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:46 PM
RainsFather
1st Gear Member

i have always wondered why if a tuner can set different parameters for the entire rev range where the same parts on a car can be either low torque heavy or make big high rpm HP why they couldn't put the torque tune parameters in down low and the high rpm parameters at the top. It makes sense that it can't be done on a carbed ohv motor because you set the cam timing when the motor is built, the fuel is set with jets which I have never heard of being adjustable while the motor is running let alone while burning down the 1/4, and ignition timing can be tweaked with vacuum or mechanical advance and ignition boxes but not anywhere near the way the ecu in modern vehicles is. After seeing your post over on MM I checked out the Brooks Speed web site and seeing as they are able to remote tune my car ( its an 07 and the other company the advertises remote tuning can only work on 05-06 ) I decided to contact them. Eric returned my email next morning answering all my questions. I really like my Bama tune but I am very close to the point where blind email tunes just won't work, I'm basically a mod or two away from needing a dyno which isn't an option in my area.

Last edited by RainsFather; 10-07-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:28 AM
ski
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gman73
The real tests will be at the dyno and the track.
It will be interesting to see the results. Keep us posted. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:46 PM
gman73
5th Gear Member

It could all be a placebo effect. Maybe tomorrow I will dyno the car.

Quick Reply: brooksspeed email tune