MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   Axle-Back Advice PLEASE! (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/568419-axle-back-advice-please.html)

pspence05VERT 10-15-2009 06:39 PM

Axle-Back Advice PLEASE!

I'm another newby looking for some advice. I have spent hours researching axle-back opinions for my 05 GT convertible. I want to upgrade my exhaust a step or 2 above stock, then add CAI/tune next. I already have some drone with the stock exhaust. I live in a nice family neighborhood and want to maybe stir the neighbors but not wake them. I commute an hour to work and drive the car every day. I really want to enjoy the ride but my ego and my desire for attention are still in check. This is what I have learned so far -

SLP - Probably too loud to consider due to the neighborhood issue.
Borla Stingers - great deep sound, pricey, hard to find used. Tell me if you have some for sale!
FRPP Stingers - Loud, a lot of drone. Too loud? Any good stories with no drone?
FRPP GTA - Better than stock, no drone, not too loud.
Flowmaster - Old school chamber muscle, but better systems are available.
Bassanni - Need more info and details.
Stock GT500 - I found some local. Are these really the same thing I have now?

Gentlemen,
Don't let me down. Speed shops, feel free to chime in.

Thank you in advance for your direction.

P.S. I know I am new. But, who's the brainchild that decided this site needs emoticons?... Just sayin.

GlassVapor 10-15-2009 06:46 PM

Like my Pypes Polished AB's heres a good listen
www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPeVtGxpULs

gman73 10-15-2009 06:49 PM

Most people on here like their exhaust systems/axlebacks. If you can join a mustang club in your area and listen to various exhaust set-ups. Just fyi Borla stingers and FRPP stingers are the same thing except the borla has 4" tips and the frpp has 3.5"" tips. The FRPP usually runs about 50-75 cheaper.

pspence05VERT 10-15-2009 07:22 PM

Thanks for clearing up the Borla/FRPP deal. I'll try to get out. But, I figure I can get some more detailed advice and then try to pick up a good used set. If it doesn't work out, I'll put the stockers back on and list the ones I bought for sale. Basically, looking to go maybe half way between stock and SLP?

gman73 10-15-2009 07:39 PM

Good choices would be the stingers, bassani both race and street and what I have-magnapacks. The magnapacks come as either a over the axle pipe (OTA) and axleback set-up or just the axlebacks. If you buy just the axlebacks, they may not work with the stock OTA pipes. I got my magnapack setup off ebay for $310. They were brand new still in the box.

mdg 10-15-2009 09:07 PM

Boomtubes FTW! Check them out on youtube.

mynameismike65 10-15-2009 09:45 PM

Youtube clips do no justice. Try to hear as many setups in person. Your car can either be quiet with no drone, or sound like a mustang but have drone. I hate to break it to you but unless you get Corsa (Very $$$$) or something VERY mild like the Frpp GTAs (might as well save your $$) you will get drone. Its a tradeoff that is inevitable. People talk up drone and make it out to be feared like the plague. Its not a big deal at all. I love my macs. Best sound possible IMO. They were nice with the stock H, the o/r prochamber really woke them up. I would get some macs and deal with the drone. Its not like you drive in the "drone zone" all day long. I drove over 4 hours/600 miles with my mac muffler/ o/r prochamber combo and had no issues at all.

oldlugs 10-15-2009 10:59 PM

Have a listen to the Magnaflow # 16674, 3" cat-back system. From what I've heard, nice and deep but not too loud.
On mine..? some slightly too loud FR500s/KR mufflers. No drone, nice sound at idle and under light throttle, but a definite nasty bark when jumped on... Borderline too loud, so I may switch to that 3" Magnaflow.
Here's a link to those at Jeg's: http://www.jegs.com/i/Magnaflow/642/16674/10002/-1#

BRENSPEED 10-16-2009 10:39 AM

I would have to agree that the magnaflows have a great smooth sound with little drone. I would also recommend the SLP Powerflos (not the Loudmouths). Both of these exhausts have awesome quality and the tips look great. We have exhaust clips on our website under the tech section if you need more information on any of the other exhausts. I really think you'd be happy with the Magnaflow or the SLP PFlows just from the sound of it. If you need any other information feel free to get ahold of me and Ill be glad to assist you.

Thanks!

iresgift 10-16-2009 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by mdg (Post 6572444)
Boomtubes FTW! Check them out on youtube.

:icon_hyper: