Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Ford Racing Tuner Intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 01:03 PM
JeepInDeep

Originally Posted by Grabborange
Yes, buy the tuner from either of them. They are great tunes and it is easy to install. . You can always get a custom tune later by a dyno shop, but it usually isn't worthwhile unless you have significant mods.
ya but the only thing is that she is not going to go crazy with performance parts. the CAI, exhaust, and possibly a throtte body. she isn't going to need to keep going back the the tunner. so the $300 or $400 that its woth could just be put into one good tune.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JeepInDeep
ya but the only thing is that she is not going to go crazy with performance parts. the CAI, exhaust, and possibly a throtte body. she isn't going to need to keep going back the the tunner. so the $300 or $400 that its woth could just be put into one good tune.
If you get a CAI AFTER you get tunes, then you'll need revised tunes. And if you do any exhaust work where you lose the cats, you'll need revised tunes. If you change your overall tire diameter you'll need the handheld. If you change gears you'll need the handheld. It really seems like you need to learn what a tuner and the associated tunes are capable of and when they're necessary.

And FYI, the stock TB flows as well as these engines need and is more than adequate. Putting an aftermarket TB on these NA and/or non-bored/stroked S197 engines is a waste of money.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Steves07GTCS
1st Gear Member

Hey JeepInDeep, just to back up what the guys on here have already said but put some numbers behind it my first round of mods was the FRPP CAI, FRPP GTA mufflers, and a SCT tuner with tunes from Brenspeed. With absolutely nothing else done to the car it made 289 horses and 311 lb/ft at the wheels. I have the dyno sheet to prove it. Point is, if you're not looking to go crazy with the car but want a good bump in performance, the CAI you already bought with a loaded tuner from a reputable shop is the perfect solution. Hope this helps some!
Old 10-22-2009, 11:31 AM
07hotwheel

Thanks for the information. I like the Ford Racing intake, cars were so much easier in the old days without the computers to tune them, but I will will look into those tunes suggeted, and my car is a daily driver, so I dont want to do anything thats going to knock me down to 10mpg.
Old 10-22-2009, 02:55 PM
JeepInDeep

Originally Posted by Steves07GTCS
Hey JeepInDeep, just to back up what the guys on here have already said but put some numbers behind it my first round of mods was the FRPP CAI, FRPP GTA mufflers, and a SCT tuner with tunes from Brenspeed. With absolutely nothing else done to the car it made 289 horses and 311 lb/ft at the wheels. I have the dyno sheet to prove it. Point is, if you're not looking to go crazy with the car but want a good bump in performance, the CAI you already bought with a loaded tuner from a reputable shop is the perfect solution. Hope this helps some!

Thanks for the kind help, it helps alot.

And Nuke, learning what the tune is even for is why i started this thread in the first place. but thanks for the information, i had no idea a handheld could do so much. i thought its just a standardized tune for say someone with an exhaust or CAI. there web sites really dont go into dedail, its kinda like they expect you just to know all this stuff.