Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

To Supercharge or not....That is the question

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 07:12 PM
SkiBallz

Default To Supercharge or not....That is the question

Hey everybody. Well I just wanted to get this off my mind because it's been eating at me for a couple weeks now. Now I know all our new little ponies are bad little beasts and all,but they are just begging to be beefed up more. In all honesty what do you guys and gals think about throwing a good quality supercharger on an '05 or '06? I know Jack Roush is waving one in my face on his performance site,but is it really worth it?
Old 07-14-2005, 08:22 PM
Martin123
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: To Supercharge or not....That is the question

How bad do you want the power?
Old 07-15-2005, 03:26 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Yes, if there is some overwhelming need you have to have the most HP on the block, maybe a gradge against some local hotrodder, then supercharging looks like a good bet. Several companies seem to be making blowers for the '05 already.
Personally, if I wanted to sink that kind of money into my new car that's still under warranty, I'd consider getting a better stereo/DVD than the Skipper 500, racing stripes, custom interior... Maybe a unique paint job?
Old 07-15-2005, 01:20 PM
nickbrace
2nd Gear Member

Depends how important speed is to you.....I almost bought a Procharger a couple of weeks ago and then changed my mind - in the end I decided to spend the money on new stripes/wheels/tires/painted mirrors, etc, etc...

I say if you want more power then go for it!!!
Old 07-15-2005, 01:45 PM
TorchRedBeauty
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nickbrace

Depends how important speed is to you.....I almost bought a Procharger a couple of weeks ago and then changed my mind - in the end I decided to spend the money on new stripes/wheels/tires/painted mirrors, etc, etc...

I say if you want more power then go for it!!!
Make sure to post the pics when you're done. I'd like to see the results.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:01 PM
SkiBallz

You guys make a valid point. I can squeeze power from other areas without supercharging it. Besides when I get done with the exterior it might look something like TorchRedBeauty's ride. Gotta love that color!
Old 07-15-2005, 05:21 PM
TorchRedBeauty
1st Gear Member

Check out the CAMS post. It looks like you can get up to around 400HP without an S/C.

BTW, thanks for the compliment.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:31 PM
firemedix911
2nd Gear Member

Ok before I say anything I love the new mustang. Just had to say this so you guys know is not anvy or anything like that. I haven't been able to read the post on the CAMs since tha link isn't working for me. I find it really har to belive that you can get 150 rwhp form a cam swap alone. Sorry but it just doesnt sound right. Your cars stock r averaging 250 rwhp. That means that u have to gain 150 rwhp to make 400 to the wheels N/A. I don't think is possible unless you do something to the engine if you know what I mean.

If it was my car and I had the money I would drop the S/C on it with my eyes closed. If you want to be fast, and have a bad a$$$ ride then that's the way to go. There's nothing like poping the hood and have people drooling over the mean look of a S/C. Then againg like you guys said is a personal preference.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:46 PM
TorchRedBeauty
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: firemedix911

Ok before I say anything I love the new mustang. Just had to say this so you guys know is not anvy or anything like that. I haven't been able to read the post on the CAMs since tha link isn't working for me. I find it really har to belive that you can get 150 rwhp form a cam swap alone. Sorry but it just doesnt sound right. Your cars stock r averaging 250 rwhp. That means that u have to gain 150 rwhp to make 400 to the wheels N/A. I don't think is possible unless you do something to the engine if you know what I mean.

If it was my car and I had the money I would drop the S/C on it with my eyes closed. If you want to be fast, and have a bad a$$$ ride then that's the way to go. There's nothing like poping the hood and have people drooling over the mean look of a S/C. Then againg like you guys said is a personal preference.
I wasn't trying to say that you can get to 400rwhp with cams only. That post explains that to get that you needed P&P head, CAI, U/D pulleys, electric water pump, cams etc (i.e. you need several mods to get to this point, but it is possible).

Edit:

Ok, I found the post. I think the mods broke the link since it was on another forum, but here is what was on the car they were testing.

the mods so far on this car are:
BBR CNC Machined Ported & Polished 3V Heads
BBR Custom Grind 3V Cams
BBR Adj. Solid Lifters
IMRC Delete Plates
Underdrive Pullies
JLT CAI
Custom Tuning w/ X-Cal2
StainlessWorks Long Tube Headers
MagnaPack Mufflers (directly off the headers)
4.10 Gears
Spec Stage III Clutch
Tri-Ax Shifter

The guy from Blow-By Racing is claiming that this car will dyno around 400 rwhp. He may be blowing smoke, but as you can see the car has alot more than just cams.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:20 PM
firemedix911
2nd Gear Member

Ok like i said in my post with those mods is possible that he's getting what he says but you saw that he ported the heads and has a lot of work done to the engine. It is nice. I'm an advocate of N/A cars but it takes about the same money and lots more work. And warranty wise is better to just take off a S/C than justify the dealer why the heads r ported. About the numbers he's putting out I wouldn't doubt it. I've seen that the 05's respond really good to minor mods so. you also have to see how much did he portted his heads. Anyways, I love your cars guys. I drool every time one of you drive by me. They r flat out one of the niciest looking stangs ever made. Enjoy them. Hopefully some day I'll be able to have one just like yours.

Quick Reply: To Supercharge or not....That is the question