Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need Mellow, Least Drone Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 01:02 PM
MarcZ

Default Need Mellow, Least Drone Mufflers

My girlfriend has an 05 saleen 3v with the exhaust rattle. I plugged the vacuum to keep the valve open, but when I do that it's too loud for her, she has semi-sensitive ears. The other problem is the occasional low frequency drone which I personally could live with, but even I must admit it is worse than my Camaro with headers, 3 inch catback, and straight though mufflers (have a pypes race pro now). She lives with it now because she has to but I'd like to fix the problem for her. But, she does like the sound it makes, just not the drone and especially not the rattle. I think I heard that the 05 mufflers where actually made by borla or magnaflow.

So, I am looking for a pair of single in/single out mufflers that will bypass the valves completely so that it only come out the center that are not too loud and have minimal drone (take note that I do not expect there to be a miracle muffler that will have zero drone, just looking for less drone).

I've considered magnaflow from sound clips I've heard and also pypes because it gave me exactly what I was looking for in quieting down my ride just right, almost no drone, but will it work for this? I am hesitant to think so because my pypes race pro with no tailpipes (coming straight out of the muffler was even louder than my straight through setup. Not until after the tailpipes were on did it do the trick. The saleen has mufflers closer to the rear of the vehicle and much less tailpipe length, or so it would seem, whereas my camaro has a longer tailpipe length due to the muffler being right behind the rear diff. So it's between pypes race pro, pypes street pro and maganflow, online sound clips can be deceptive, so I'm looking for personal input.

p.s. the car is a stock 05 saleen 3v, no mods.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:20 PM
charliebrown266
4th Gear Member

I thought the saleen had a centre exhaust? I have the magnapacks on my car,i love the way they sound,but they do have drone!
Old 10-17-2009, 03:35 PM
MarcZ

yes they do, but they are also dumped at the left or right w/ turn downs that have a vacuum operated butterfly valve that open and close at certain rpms that are supposed to make more torque, but in the 06+ models saleen just got rid of the valves altogether instead of trying to fix them, and told 05+ owners to just plug the vacuums or have a new catback minus the valves installed without voiding the warranty. This is fine, but it's too loud for her that way, so I am looking for a whole new muffler to use without the dumps to make it less droney and not too loud for her.

I'm quite surprised at how much difficulty I am facing in finding exhaust videos I'm looking for on youtube. Of all the mustangs out there you'd think there'd be plenty of videos of stock cars with just catback or muffler swap but there isn't much.

Magnapacks are like bullet-style, right? Like cherry bombs or something?

Nice Roush
Old 10-17-2009, 04:09 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Maybe a set of stock GT takeoffs... I don't know what else would be quieter.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:02 PM
MarcZ

They are offset wrong on the inlet and outlets though, I think they'd have to be same side offset to work with the saleen:

pic:

http://www.superchargersonline.com/i...en_exhaust.jpg

Leaning heavily toward flowtech terminators or afterburners right now.

Last edited by MarcZ; 10-17-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:49 PM
hardcore302
2nd Gear Member

flowtech warlock mufflers have a stock dump.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:47 PM
bullitt2086
1st Gear Member

ive heard alot of good things about the jbas axel back exhaust ive heard they dont drone and that they are considerably quieter than most aftermarket exhaust good luck
Old 10-18-2009, 01:32 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Corsa... no drone, quieter than stock (inside the car) when just driving around and they scream at WOT.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SnUWQd-h6XY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SnUWQd-h6XY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nF_g2A1yHFE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nF_g2A1yHFE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 10-18-2009, 05:08 PM
MarcZ

I forgot to mention that my gf and I don't have a lot of money and are looking for just a muffler swap and not ones that cost $300 each, besides gt catbacks and the like don't work on a Saleen.

I can only use offset in or same side offset or center out with the way the muffler sits on the saleen mustang. So right now it's between pypes race pro and edelbrock sdt mufflers, both will give us what we want, but the edelbrock specifically says it's made to elimate drone and I've heard it, it has a unique sound, where the race pro just says its quieter than most. Race pro is $30 cheaper though.

Last edited by MarcZ; 10-18-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:50 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

There is a miracle muffler, it's called CORSA. Nice, quiet & mellow at cruise and idle, really sounds off at WOT and yes, zero drone. CORSAs are made of aircraft stainless steel and should outlast your car. They're not cheap, but quality never is.