Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Catback and Headers: 2010 GT Premium

Old 10-27-2009, 07:45 PM
AZ MSCL
1st Gear Member

Default Catback and Headers: 2010 GT Premium

Went to my Ford Service dep't and picked up a copy of the 2009 performance parts manual. Lot's of neat stuff, but not what I'm looking for at the moment. Nothing on catbacks. Anyway, I am looking for a catback, similar to my Corsa, for the Mustang. Not too loud at idle and normal driving, but roars at WOT. Of the ones I've looked at, I've seen that the prices are a lot less than for the Challenger. So, I'm seeking recommendations on a catback that meets what I have described. Any suggestions? Also, has anyone put headers on? What kind? I understand there are clearance issues. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:09 AM
AZ MSCL
1st Gear Member

Default Help

Come on folks, throw me a bone!
Old 10-28-2009, 10:14 AM
antonio1988
4th Gear Member

well since we have the same motor, I will tell you that Magnaflow axlebacks might be what you're looking for... if yo want something that is nice and deep but not loud at idle and normal driving conditions and absolutely screams at WOT, then get the Magnapacks
Old 10-28-2009, 11:36 AM
AZ MSCL
1st Gear Member

Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by antonio1988
well since we have the same motor, I will tell you that Magnaflow axlebacks might be what you're looking for... if yo want something that is nice and deep but not loud at idle and normal driving conditions and absolutely screams at WOT, then get the Magnapacks
I am looking for both the sound I described and performance. How restrictive is the stock exhaust anyway? If the only benefit I'm gonna get is sound, then I suppose I need to go with headers plus a catback. I'll look into the Magnapacks, thanks. Anybody have Borla on their car?
Old 10-28-2009, 06:06 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Catbacks are a waste over axlebacks since the stock exhaust flows so well. Neither one provides any performance gains; only sound.

If your state allows you to lose the cats, than LT's with an O/R X or H will provide you the most gain. Beware the X, though. It can cause a raspy note depending on the other components.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:10 PM
antonio1988
4th Gear Member

Nuke is preachin' to the choir, +1 buddy
Old 10-28-2009, 08:26 PM
AZ MSCL
1st Gear Member

Default Great

Originally Posted by Nuke
Catbacks are a waste over axlebacks since the stock exhaust flows so well. Neither one provides any performance gains; only sound.

If your state allows you to lose the cats, than LT's with an O/R X or H will provide you the most gain. Beware the X, though. It can cause a raspy note depending on the other components.
Can't dump the cats. I was thinking of shorty headers and catbacks, but that seems to be unnecessary if you are correct. What about headers and axlebacks? Or even headers and the stock exhaust if it is that freeflowing? There must be some gains by adding headers.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:04 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Shorties have some but minimal gain. Toss in some hi flow cats and you'll add a few more. The overall gains are disputable; I'd say roughly 5-10 RWHP with both. Catbacks or axlebacks, STILL, no gain.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:17 PM
10GTSTANG
3rd Gear Member

Headers will set you up for the next big mods!

Old 10-29-2009, 04:46 PM
AZ MSCL
1st Gear Member

Spoke with my new Ford service guy, he said as long as I stick with the parts that don't say "off road use only" in the Ford Performance catalog, I'll be fine. I also know what the Magnuson-Moss Act says (the lemon law) about aftermarket parts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Catback and Headers: 2010 GT Premium