Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Brenspeed SCT tune/JLT CAI

Old 11-05-2009, 10:28 AM
BRENSPEED
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MrSandman
Mine did today....

The report came up with these errors:

O2 sensor = Unsupported

O2 sensor heater = Unsupported

Catalytic Converter = Unsupported

Secondary Air = Unsupported

EGR System = Unsupported

Evap. System = Unsupported

When I first took the car in a week ago I stupidly left my Bama Race tune in.. forgetting that it had the O2 sensors "turned off". The Bama tune failed with the same errors.

I then loaded the Brenspeed 93 octane tune a week ago and drove 250 miles.

Took the car in today and got the same errors. Last year, when I asked Brenspeed if they could update the tune for my gears.. I also asked if they could make the tune emissions friendly.

I'm hoping it was just an oversight... or Missouri does inspections differently.. because if it's not the tune.. it's the hardware. The car runs great, though.. so im sure it's the tune.
The only reason you are failing inspection is becuase in our standard tunes, we turn off rear 02's unless requested since 90% of our customers will end up running an O/R pipe down the road. Give us a call and we can get that taken care of. You will pass emissions with no problem after that.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:46 AM
stanged

Originally Posted by BRENSPEED
The only reason you are failing inspection is becuase in our standard tunes, we turn off rear 02's unless requested since 90% of our customers will end up running an O/R pipe down the road. Give us a call and we can get that taken care of. You will pass emissions with no problem after that.
Brian, the following was posted on another forum:
Next, the check here (CA) includes a very thorough OBDII Scan. This includes a little known item called rate based monitoring. This is a system designed into the OBDII that actually monitors each peice of emissions equipment to make sure it runs X number of times for Y drive cycles. They use a numerator and denominator combo to click the RBM points up. If you are running a tune that shuts off anything (like rear O2's) than the RBM will not run for that component and when they download your OBDII, guess what? YOU FAIL.

You cannot simply change the tune back before you head to the station for the check either. Because the RBM is there no matter what tune you have. It is imbedded into the OBDII code.

So, if you are in CA, you better run a C.A.R.B. approved and certified part and have a sticker for any aftermarket engine / exhaust component and that sticker must apply to your year. You also must run a tune that does not turn anything off or change the timing of RBM or you will be on the bench in a hurry.
Is this correct? So far I have only installed the Brenspeed octane tune no after market parts. Does this mean I will fail?

Last edited by stanged; 11-05-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:21 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Daniel60
You need some 3.73 gears now and really feel so difference.
Going with 4.10s in December!!

I think its awesome when we have a vendor posting and answering questions....props to Brian with Brenspeed!

patrick
Old 11-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Brenspeed is number one.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:09 PM
justin07vert
1st Gear Member

Got my C&L street and tuner from Brenspeed installed today. Install was easy, everything fit like a glove...even the bracket for the inlet pipe was good to go.

After reading a ton of postings, I started with the 91 octane tune. Talk about waking this car up. This thing absolutely shreds tires now. Anyone gone from the 91 to 93? Worth it? I like the low down torque from the 91 that I have heard the 93 doesn't have as much of.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:33 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I think they are all about the same except gas mileage is better with higher octane tunes.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:56 AM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stanged
Brian, the following was posted on another forum:

Is this correct? So far I have only installed the Brenspeed octane tune no after market parts. Does this mean I will fail?
I was the poster of that information. Oh it be true......

I work in the industry as an engineer and was on several development programs related to OBDII - RBM. I forgot to mention that it only effects 2007+ MY vehicles. I tried to do a google but didn't find much on it that was useful. However take a look here www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/obdprog/july18workshop.ppt and go to around slide 70 and start there. It will give you some idea of what they were talking about back in 2001 for implementation. It was in fact implemented and is still getting more strict. I still work with this stuff. I have detailed info on this but cannot post it here because of confidential employment issues.

Anyway, you really need to make sure any tune you run in CA is in fact not turning off any emissions device or you will have trouble.

By the way - The CA states which used to only include the "North East Pack" NY, MA, etc but now also include WA and OR and a couple of others (I cannot recall right now) will be phasing this in over the next few years.