Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New here just a few questions....

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 11:02 AM
rpmathe

Default New here just a few questions....

All,

Hello! I been lurking here for a few weeks and am contemplating a used 2009 Mustang convertible V8. I have a few questions for you all.

1. I know it's not an economy car... Having said that, I drive pretty conservatively... I keep very detailed records of mileage! I drive about a 60/40 split highway/city for work. I would guess I will get 23-26 mpg??? Does that sound right??
2. Top down driving is worse mpg, right???
3. Does anyone make a cover that would cover up the passenger and rear seats??? Protect the leather and all, decrease drag, better mileage???
4. CAI's and catbacks are on the list for mods, keeping with a fairly mild right foot, that's got to help, right???
5.Any special top cleaner that works better than another??? And no carwash for convertibles, so is it a chamois or squeegee??
6. Does anyone run BK44K every 5k oil change???

Thanks for any and all input!!!!

Robert
Old 11-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Darren05
1st Gear Member

I do not know about the mileage on an 09 but they should be pretty much the same as what I have so I would guess around the 20 to 22mpg range. As for driving with the top down effecting the mpg, I would guess that if it did, it wouldn't be much. Maybe 1mpg if that. It would be similar to a truck, some people think that driving with the tailgate down or taking it off will increase their gas mileage. It will not. Having the tailgate up causes a bubble effect in the bed so the air goes right over. If you lower it, the air rushes down into the bed and causes drag. Having the top down in the car should have the same effects, the bubble effect. Yes some air will come down into the car but not enough to decrease your mpg very much. I do not add anything to my fuel or oil every oil change but am curious about the z-max. Haven't heard anything about it on this forum.