Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Saleen SC noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 08:16 PM
grandfunk

Default Saleen SC noise

I've just completed an installation of a Saleen supercharger on my car. I've read a thread describing the Saleen supercharger as noisy or gravely at idle due to firewall clearance issues. I am experiencing some noise with mine that has me a bit worried.
Basically I started the car up and it idled fine for about 5-10 minutes, revved it a bit and got a bit of a grinding type noise from the engine bay. It idled down and happened a few more times and I shut it down. Looked through the engine bay to make sure that everything that spins is free and not grabbing anything, no luck there.
It is happening sporadically, not in time with engine cycles or at a given frequency. The best way I can describe it is what you might hear if you missed a gear when shifting, similar to that.
Is this the "normal" noise of this unit? Its pretty damn loud, I'm worried its overfilled or may have no oil at all. It had a large stain in the box when I got it from some oil leakage but was told thats expected during shipping.

Last edited by grandfunk; 11-05-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:18 PM
grandfunk

FYI, I didn't get any check engine lights during the brief period it was running and it idled nice and smooth. I did clearance my firewall before I installed it and thought I had plenty of room so I am leaning away from this as the cause until I can do a more thorough inspection.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:44 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

the saleens are known for having more
noise than other units.

if you are concerned about the oil level, there's
only one way to ease your mind. s/c oil is
cheap and you can get it from summit, as
well as from other sources.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:47 PM
grandfunk

But in regards to the noise is it a constant type of noise or just random? This is like a random metallic sounding scrape or grind. It wasn't happening constantly it just started as the engine warmed and its a sharp sound thats pretty loud but very short, like a metal grindy sneeze, if that makes sense.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:54 PM
2007VistaBlueGT
2nd Gear Member

A lot of Saleen units make that "crunching" type noise. Many of them have failed and been replaced under warranty, I'ld contact Saleen or whatever its called and whoever runs it nowadays
Old 11-05-2009, 08:58 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

grandfunk, there may not be anything wrong
with your unit, so don't get nervous.

this happend to JDwalton also and he just got
used to the noise as i recall.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:57 AM
zoomerman46
1st Gear Member

I have had a Saleen Series VI installed in my 05 for 3years and when it's cold the SC becames a little loud and noisey with some rotor clashing until warm. Saleen says this is nornal .
Here is a link to Saleen's Series VI maint manual. Look at Page 3 of the pdf file.

http://saleenforums.soec.org/showthread.php?t=5422
Old 11-06-2009, 03:35 PM
grandfunk

Spoke to Dave at Brenspeed today and am going to take some video of it and send it their way, I'll also post it up here if I can figure out how. I'll let you guys know what the result is for informational purposes.
I'll either get a video that will help troubleshoot and put my mind at ease, or a video of my motor blowing up. I call that a win/win. Wish me luck

edit- And once again for clarification, this is not a constant whirring as the manual above describes, it is a loud brief crunching noise that occurs every few seconds or so.

Last edited by grandfunk; 11-06-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:52 PM
grandfunk

Just wanted to update the thread in case anyone were curious as to what happened.

So I sent the video off to Brenspeed and they then forwarded the video to Saleen. Both Brenspeed and Saleen deemed it to be abnormal. Basically I couldn't even turn the blower by hand due to some sort of internal interference and the drivebelt was simply forcing it past and causing a pretty disturbing noise in the process.

Saleen sent me a new unit at Brenspeeds recomendation and I installed it a few days ago. The car is running great with no unusual noises and I am sending the bad unit back to Saleen. All of this was handled promptly by the guys at Brenspeed and Saleen, free of charge and with no fuss whatsoever. I can say that Brenspeed has fantastic customer service and has been great with all the questions and issues I have run into. Also Saleen is still a stand up company that honors its warranties. This whole prcess could have been a nightmare if it weren't for Dave and Chandler at Brenspeed being so proactive in solving the problems.

Once again Brenspeeds reputation for being awesome at what they do holds true and I am definitely going to them for any upgrades I am considering in the future.
Old 11-15-2009, 03:48 PM
CammedMysticCobra
1st Gear Member

Nice to hear that they were so cool about it. But I was going to say the eatons got a very simialr noise when the coupler in the snout would go bad.

Quick Reply: Saleen SC noise