Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

best exhaust for price

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 12:45 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: best exhaust for price

I really liked the way the loudmouths sounded in the clip I heard... but I was pretty sure I would need something a *little* quieter... and I LOVE my Powerflos... they sound so nice at idle... and when you jump on it, they really roar... best though is the the 2nd gear coast into my subdivision... pop popopop pop pop..... awesome...
Old 07-19-2005, 02:27 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

I've got Loudmouths on mine also. Only complaint I have is that they are pretty loud on cold start. But after about 20 seconds they quiet down quite a bit. Just a little louder than normal with average driving. Stomp on it and you definitely know they are there!.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:38 AM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Sorry to hijack the thread.

I wanted to ask you guys who have the new model V8 car with aftermarket exhausts......

For the first time, the mufflers are behind the axle (much better idea IMO because mine can drag over speedbumps). Anyway, i was guna ask, Is there a "drone" from the aftermarket exhaust around 2K RPM?

Mustangs with the shorter midpipes are notorious for droning at 2,000 RPM and I read some crap about it being the length of the tailpipe which causes this. Something like an organ pipe which has a certain frequency.

This is especially noticeable with chambered mufflers like flowmasers. That's the reason I got magnaflow for my car - because my flows droned so bad it drove me nuts on the highway.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:37 AM
Herknav
3rd Gear Member

I havn't noticed anything... but then I have not been doing much traveling at 2000 RPM, unless I am coasting... and no drone then...
Old 07-19-2005, 11:46 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

I have heard a couple of people complain about drone and it does not seem specific to any perticular exhaust brand. But for the most part it is just people asking about drone, no one really saying they have it. My loudmouths do it slightly within the first 5 minutes or so after starting cold, but then it goes away.
Old 07-19-2005, 01:21 PM
WLDFILY

I put the SLP Loudmouth on mine a couple of weeks ago..... I love them, just loud enough to turn heads and bother my neighbors. I am putting a Boss 429 hood scoop & rear louvers on next week. I can't wait!!!
Old 07-19-2005, 01:31 PM
ese

ORIGINAL: MikeHawke

I wanted to ask you guys who have the new model V8 car with aftermarket exhausts......

For the first time, the mufflers are behind the axle (much better idea IMO because mine can drag over speedbumps). Anyway, i was guna ask, Is there a "drone" from the aftermarket exhaust around 2K RPM?

Mustangs with the shorter midpipes are notorious for droning at 2,000 RPM and I read some crap about it being the length of the tailpipe which causes this. Something like an organ pipe which has a certain frequency.

This is especially noticeable with chambered mufflers like flowmasers. That's the reason I got magnaflow for my car - because my flows droned so bad it drove me nuts on the highway.
The new American Thunder Flowmasters are supposedly engineered not to have that droning during cruising. But you never really know how true it is until you test it yourself.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:21 PM
ese

ORIGINAL: MikeHawke

The new American Thunder Flowmasters are supposedly engineered not to have that droning during cruising. But you never really know how true it is until you test it yourself.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:09 AM
STANMAN
4th Gear Member

SLP Loudmouths here, I don't hear any droning.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:25 AM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Vidgomd

im sure some others have the same question unless it was asked already
I understand that the piping on a stock mustang corect me if im wront is 2.5"
so is it worth it to buy a cat back exhaust for the car will it make any differece power or sound wise?
and whats your opinion on the best exhaust. i dont want to spend a million dollars but i dont want to buy garbage.

axle back ?? pro's con's?
Prices?
cat back?? pro's con's?

thanks..
sound clips would help too
Well IMO the BEST exhaust system for the '05 GT is already on the car! If you want to change the sound and add power at the same time DON"T change the stock middle pipes and try a set of JBA shortys with a Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe with high flow cats and KEEP the stock GT rear mufflers. I've tried several combinations using the JBA headers, Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe with high flow OBDII compliant cats and JBA rear mufflers in addition to the stock exhaust parts.

The loudest was the JBA headers, Magnaflow Tru-X w/cats and JBA rear mufflers. This is really too loud for daily driver use and every cop in town is looking for the source of thatt amazing sound. But that's the problem they can hear you coming a whole county away.

The best sounding the combo was the one I mentioned first, JBA headers, Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe w/cats and stock Ford rear mufflers. This combo sounds very potent, you can hear the ping of the headers even at idle and the sound only gets better as the RPMs rise even only using partial throttle around town it has a subdued potent sound. Once you get on the throttle it sounds like the real deal and if you are punched and winding it up to shift the sound is pure NASCAR but softer around the edges with everything nearby echoing the sound just like the Mustang Grand Sport Cup cars or a NASCAR stocker off the banking. Unbelieveable sound that you cannot get enough of! This combo has some resonance caused by the Tru-X Pipe when cold but this passes in a few minutes.

The next best sound was the JBA headers with stock catted H pipe and JBA rear mufflers. This is a much more traditional hot rod sound, more street rod and less race car. You can still hear the headers working but overall the exhaust is more traditional lower frequency boom. This combination is also louder than my favorite and it's louder more of the time. There is also some mild resonance in this system, the car has a very audible resonance in the 1500-2500 RPM range when at part throttle. This combination is just barely usable for a daily driven car. This setup may have slightly more lower midrange punch than the first option but this is lost on top where the power flattens out earlier.

I also tried stock cast manifolds with the Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe w/cats and JBA rear mufflers but the cast manifolds give up too much power and why do this if not for the extra power? Also lacking was the sound, stuffy, lacking the header ping but loud somehow! The addition of the JBA headers with the stock Ford catted H pipe and JBA rear mufflers worked better than this combination too boot.

The rear mufflers don't make power, the headers and down pipes are the key to power.

Anyway there it is.

HTH

Quick Reply: best exhaust for price