Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Wheel spacer and brake cover questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Default Wheel spacer and brake cover questions

I'm having clearance issues with my rear brakes - I have a set of caliper covers, and the clearance is realllly close on all four wheels. I have stock GT Bullets.

However, my rear driver's side is scraping the cover badly when I hit a hard left turn, like on a 90 degree curve, at a relatively high speed (30mph+) We've adjusted and adjusted the caliper cover, even ground a little off the surface of the caliper. NOW there seems to be more clearance around this one than the rest, but it still rubs. My first concern - is there something wrong back there? That's the ONLY side that does that. It also hits the cover JUST enough to make a mouse squeak when one of the 'blades' of the wheel passes over it as I'm slowing to a stop. I realize the calipers move when the brakes are depressed, so the squeak doesn't bother me so much as the wheel apparently flexing enough to cause it to scrape in turns. I'm thinking that wheel has a spoke that's imperfect because the others clear it.

Edit: Here's two pics of the 'before' adjustments. As you can see, it LOOKED like it would clear when we first bolted the wheel back on, and after 30 seconds of driving, it became apparent it would NOT fully clear it.

Secondly - I'm considering getting a set of wheel spacers - no more than 5mm to resolve the problem if the wheel flex is normal. Is there a difference between spacers? I've found a pair of 5mm for 16.00 plus shipping. But I notice some (granted they're 1.25 or 1.5 inches and so a lot more aluminum) are a lot more expensive. Do I get what I pay for with spacers, or is an aluminum plate with holes drilled in it just that - the same as any other aluminum plate with holes drilled in it?

Also, for appearance, would I want just the spacers on the back, or all around?

Last edited by Batenswytch; 11-09-2009 at 10:54 AM. Reason: because I can't explain things clearly the first time. gah.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:36 AM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

Well... when I wrecked, all of the wheels on the car checked out as being round. However, after I got it back, it turned out that from the wreck, 3 of the 4 wheels had been compromised structurally and were doing the "funky chicken dance" (or at least so the tech at the dealership told me) as I was going down the road... mine were the upgraded 17" wheels tho. So it is possible that the wheel is messed up. I would also check and make sure that the rotors are true and not warped.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Well, this car has been wrecked too, but not by moi. LOL I need to look and see if that wheel is one of the wheels that was scraped up and banged up, because if it is, it may need to get das boot.

I'll still probably use spacers though, just because I'm not comfortable with the close fit. Anyone have any advice on those? Are they all the same except for thickness?
Old 11-23-2009, 07:32 PM
ybnormal
2nd Gear Member

Yea the billet 5 spoke that I have were real close also so I added the spacer (the thin one ) like you are talking about. I did not see or have any problem with them 27 k miles. I have made over 15+ passes with a 125 shot and burnouts if that helps you.
The deeper offsets are exspensive because of the material/balance and some times studs that are offered. You ought to be ok but still have the wheels / 4 wheel alignment checked esp. Since it has been wrecked a lil.
Brake covers look good !!!! but slotted and or drill rotors would look even better. Braided lines did seem to make a difference also well not sure cause I put hawk brakes on at the same time.
go for it.

Last edited by ybnormal; 11-23-2009 at 07:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Batenswytch
redneck gamer nerd chick

Yeah, when it comes time to replace/update the brakes, I'll go with the drilled and slotted, same for my 91 Vert. Thanks for the info on the spacers. My 5mm came in Friday, but I just haven't had time to get it on the jack and get em on there. Probably do that this weekend, along with an oil change and get my splitters painted on the headlights. Soooooo ready for the weekend and its just Monday.