Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Upgrades/Mods

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Rambler882

Default Upgrades/Mods

Hello All,

I'm a new owner of a 2007 Mustang GT, automatic. I bought it with the FR1 package installed on the car.

I'm looking for ways to just better overall improve the car. The idea is to get a supercharger in a few years, but cannot afford right now because of the cost.

I'm still pretty new to the Mustang scene so I've been asking around and trying to determine what upgrades/mods I should or could make that will increase the HP or really overall drive of the car.

Here is what I've come up with so far.

1. gears - 4.10 or 3.73? (i have an automatic btw)
2. torque converter - a friend said this would be good for an auto - thoughts?
3. X or H pipe (maybe wait to purchase since an exhaust came with FR1 package?), what are the best X/H pipes for 07 mustang gt? Is X or H preferred?
4. Longtubes/Headers

I am not sure if I should steer away from certain purchases or if I am missing something...or if I should look to get these in a different order etc.

Any insight would be very valuable for me.

Thanks
Old 11-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum. Don't be afraid to use the search feature.

By FRI, I assume you mean the Ford Racing Cold Air Intake. If it's on the car there's a good chance the car was retuned as most CAI's worth a darn are tune-required. But even if you have the FRPP tune to go with that CAI, you can still get more RWHP with custom tunes from Brenspeed or Bama or Tillman or a dyno tune. The fly in the ointment here is that IF you do have a tune for the FRPP CAI AND you don't have the handheld to return the tune to stock, you may have problems. You'd have to ask the tech guys at Brenspeed or Bama how to resolve that, if not have the dealer return to stock. BTW, no-tune required CAI's are almost worthless on these cars.

Gears are a great choice but be sure to consider your driving style before considering 4.10's. If you do a lot of highway, you'll be winding out beyond the "sweet spot" for economy if you're cruising above 65 MPH. But you didn't buy the car for economy, did you? Of course not...

I'll let the auto guys comment on the torque converter.

If you can afford to lose the cats, then LT's are a better choice over shorties. Add some cams to that and that combo is about as good if not better than the performance gains of the CAI & tune. There is little difference in performance between the X and H but the X tends to sound a bit raspy depending on other factors. But with LT's and cams, it would probably be killer. FYI, any exhaust work beyond the H pipe is for sound only. You won't see any gains changing axle or catbacks.

Last edited by Nuke; 11-19-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:36 AM
2011Black5.0
4th Gear Member

I think for FR1 hes talking about this package:

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com.../m-fr1-mgt.htm