Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

exhuast reviews..

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 02:04 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default exhuast reviews..

I recently went back to the stock mufflers and I can really appreciate both how they sound and perform soo much more then before... heres why;

I had muffler deletes (that fit horribly BTW), sounded nice at first, clean looks, no problems.

I had cut outs put on and I ran those for awhile, until I felt like dying in agony everytime I started my car next to an old couple mean mugging me at the local grocery market or driving by that cop about to write me up for a ticket.

I put on some JBA shorty headers and it smoothed out the tone some and ran real smooth as well, great low end torque, decent gains.

I thought cut outs opened up alot of HP... until I plugged them up and realized it was actually a little quicker with them closed. I put on the stock mufflers, and to my surprise... it was actually FASTER then either of those set ups (straight pipes/cut outs)

I know it has more to do with the shorties than anything else, but I'd assume the cuts outs made the most gains.. they lost the most HP/TRQ! So did the muffler deletes.. well, I wouldn't say "lost", I'd say they changed the powerband some- with more power, say, mid-up top. But with the stock mufflers back on, the cars pulls ALOT harder in every gear then ever before. In the higher RPMs and WOT, I can hear the shorties at work.. sounds like a deep rumbing sound up near the exhaust manifold.. sounds pretty sick.

All in all, pretty satisfied with the set up FINALLY. Though it's whisper quiet in comparison to either previous set ups.. if it gets too quiet, I can just open up the cut outs.

I can spare a few horses for that insane dump trunk sound lol.

All I need now is an H pipe w/high flow cats and 18 inch resonators.

(-;
Old 11-19-2009, 09:17 AM
MustangRacing4.6ltr
Kenmore Fan

ya i thought the stock gt setup sounded nice , but im a loud guy , so i did the muffler deletes first and with just that , it did sound good and loud for cheap. then i decided getting greedy for noise again lol so i just went ahead and puchased longtubes-x pipe- hi flow cats and got it over with. overall , not too loud while driving, (still cop friendly under light throttle shifts) and i love the sound level.