Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Recomendations on next mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Default Recomendations on next mod

I could use some suggestions as to what to install on my car next. I've grown bored of it and I want to install something that will make it feel like a whole different car. No more +5hp mods anymore.

So far I'm torn between 2 choices:
- Lowering springs. I'm thinking either Steeda's sport or competition springs (i don't want to go lower than 1"). I don't plan to go autocrossing. I'm just not liking the high speed INSTABILITY of this car anymore. Going 120mph over a small incline on the road and have the car go completely bouncy/rocking side to side is not a nice experience. If you guys think springs will not solve high speed instability, I'm open for new suggestions. Just don't tell me not to speed.

- Gears. Maybe 3.73. I was thinking going 4.10, but i'm also saving up to buy a Saleen supercharger late next year. 4.10's may be too much for that.

The main reason for picking between these two modifications is price. I don't want to go over $700.
Some of you will suggest that I just save for the supercharger and forget these mods, but I have the money at hand now (Christmas' bonus), and I know myself. If I don't spent it on mods, I'll spend it on some other useless crap.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:55 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

get the gears.....best bang for the buck and the butt dyno will feel a difference....but if you have 3.55's now go with the 4.10's as you wont feel much of anything with the jump from 3.55 to 3.73 IMO.....going from 3.55 to 4.10 will only hurt your gas mileage by 1-2 MPG at 70 MPH.....you wont be that high in the RPM range either while in fifth and cruising on the highway.

Now if you have a 3.55 and want to wait on a rear gear set then go with your springs of choice for lowering....

Neither will make create HP but will aide to getting it to the ground ......
Old 11-22-2009, 08:01 AM
degeze
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
Neither will make create HP but will aide to getting it to the ground ......
+1...
get the springs.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

Well after giving it some thought, I think I'm going with suspension.
Changing gears would probably require me to leave the car overnight in the hands of some stranger who will most definitely "try her out" without telling me. And then I would have to go through the hassle of getting all my tune files updated. (I heard that in an auto transmission car, it isn't just a matter of specifying the gear ratio in the tuner and driving away, the shifting gets all clunky regardless)

I have the parts selected. What do you all think?

Steeda competition springs (I want some "bottom-out resistant" springs. Are these too much?)
J&M Adjustable PHB (rod/spherical bearing)
J&M Extreme joint LCA
J&M Extreme joint adjustable UCA
*maybe* J&M Camber plates

Thinking of saving some money by reusing the stock shocks until they burger.