Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Should I buy this 06 GT

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 08:19 PM
CobraSpdRH

Default Should I buy this 06 GT

I found an 06 GT manual trans. with only 13k miles for $15k, which seems like a great deal. It has a flowmaster cat-back exhaust, bbk intake and a hurst shifter. Oh, also 18" Saleen wheels. Seems very clean, private party seller, but he said he has done all the maintenance himself, inlcuding Royal Purple and a new battery. He bought it with just under 12k miles a year ago from a VW dealership and he barely drives it.

Seems like a great deal right? Can I contact a Ford dealership and ask them to run the VIN for records? It almost seems to good to be true. It does have cloth seats, which is a downside, but man, I can't really find much else wrong with it. I asked him about having an inspection done at a dealer and he said I can't take it without him and he is too busy with the holidays to go with me for it. Red flag? At the very least I plan on running a CarFax.

Thanks in advance for the replies.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:33 PM
09blkgtcal
2nd Gear Member

ya run the vin on carfax, see what come up... It does sound like a good deal, Im always cautious when buying anything used especially a sports car. Wow this guy only put 1000 miles on it, how long did he have it?
Old 11-22-2009, 09:06 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You should review the TSB's in the stickies and verify if the car has any of those issues and if they were addressed. Most notorious would be the water leak TSB which will eventually destroy the SJB. Another critical one that comes to mind is the fuel pump TSB. That could be pretty expensive, too, if it's bad and was not addressed. A lot of things to consider here.

An '06 GT for $15K is about average IF the car is in excellent condition.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:46 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

That price is well under kelly blue book. Go book it out on kbb.com and you'll see. As far as Edmunds goes it's probably an average price.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:09 AM
CobraSpdRH

Thanks for the replies, I will check into the TSB's. He has owned the car for approx. 1 year and yes, only driven it 1k miles.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:34 PM
JohnTN
1st Gear Member

Any chance it is a late 2006 model and still under warranty? I think if it was purchased after July 1, 2006 it has a 5 yr/50K mi warranty. Mine was placed in service June 27, 2006 and only has 3/36 warranty which has now expired.

You can't lose anything by trying a dealership to run the VIN. That would tell you if any TSB's have been addressed.

And CarFax doesn't have all information. My son looked at a used Fusion and it had a clean CarFax, but when he applied for a loan, the credit union found information that it had been wrecked and had previous frame damage. A bank or credit union might be willing to run a check on the car if you express an interest in financing the car through them.

Not all cars have the problems addressed by the TSB. My car is a used '06 with 34K miles and none of the TSB's have been addressed and so far I have not experienced any of the many problems that pop up on here (no fuel pump problem, no problem filling the fuel tank, no water leaks).

Does he have any info on the owners before him or any service records from previous owners.?

John
Old 11-23-2009, 05:46 PM
CobraSpdRH

Great input John. It is a two owner, first owner bought it locally then turned it in on a VW, at which point the current owner picked it up. Not sure if it was early or late year model, but I can ask or check inside the door jamb.

Thanks to a member on the forums, I found out it has a clean 2-owner autocheck (just like the owner said). All the dealership would tell me is there are no recalls on the VIN and it hasn't been in for service recently (owner does his own Royal Purple oil changes).

I am somewhat calmed by the fact that his garage was spotless, very organized, and his Harley next to the Mustang was pristine. He had a blown-up picture of his last Bullitt on the wall, and there were a few rain drops so I could see the wax was great. I'm gonna go back for a second look with a buddy in a couple days, but all signs so far are making me feel pretty good about pulling the trigger.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:52 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

The owner ditched a mustang for a VW?

Revoke his man card.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:38 PM
CobraSpdRH

Sweet, just asked him if I can drop by with my mechanic, said it wasn't a problem. Looks like I will be in a Mustang shortly!
Old 11-24-2009, 10:56 AM
Ken04
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by CobraSpdRH
Sweet, just asked him if I can drop by with my mechanic, said it wasn't a problem. Looks like I will be in a Mustang shortly!
what color is it ?

Quick Reply: Should I buy this 06 GT