Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

05 GT runs hot...

Old 07-19-2005, 02:52 AM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

Default 05 GT runs hot...

I got my 05 GT almost a month ago and I am very happy with it however...
I've noticed the engine runs hot. These engines are supposed to have a 180 degree thermostat but it doesn't act like it.
Last sunday I was driving it around town for a couple of hours, just cruising, not pushing it hard at all. The ambient temp was mid seventies and the motor got so hot that it forced coolant out the pressure cap when I shut it off. As soon as I started it again the coolant leak stopped. It did this 3 times that day. Once earlier in the day when the ambient temp was cooler (low seventies) and again after I shut it off in the garage at home. The coolant level was ok before I started as I had checked it a couple of days before that. It ran fine otherwise except that I noticed a power loss while it was hot. The gauge did not show an overheat condition and never went past the half way mark. The dealer is going to look at it wednesday. I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed this problem?
Old 07-19-2005, 11:25 AM
sdmahr
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 05 GT runs hot...

What does your "TEMP" gage show?

Perhaps it was just topped-off a little too much at the factory and its just spewing a little excess?
Old 07-19-2005, 11:59 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Hummm...it's been in the 90's here for 2 months now and no engine temp issues.

Now if you wanna discuss how fuggin hot the center console gets because of where Ford put the cats on the car we can definitely chat about that. And yes, I have looked to see if the heatshields were there.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:09 PM
algregory
3rd Gear Member

AH SO!

I was out driving in California Saturday. I was impressed with how cool the interior was, I was impressed with how the engine temp appeared to be set in stone. Then, by George! I was impressed by how warm the console was to the touch!
Old 07-19-2005, 12:56 PM
bluepony

Then, by George! I was impressed by how warm the console was to the touch!
The sun really likes to heat up the inside of the stang,especially if you have the IUP. That brushed aluminum gets HOT!!
Old 07-19-2005, 02:57 PM
1fast05GT
3rd Gear Member

The one issue I heard about is that the '05s are prone to what they call heat soak? Apparently the radiator is not big enough to disipate the heat quickly. According to a few articles I read, if they do 2 Dyno pulls in a row, because of the heat soak, they had seen HP levels drop as much as 17 to 20HP in the second Dyno run.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:44 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: bluepony

Then, by George! I was impressed by how warm the console was to the touch!
The sun really likes to heat up the inside of the stang,especially if you have the IUP. That brushed aluminum gets HOT!!
The sun has nothing to do with the sides of the console getting hot. It is the catalytic converter placement.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:55 PM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

1fast05gt: I am not suprised to hear this. I've been messing with cars for 28 years and I've done a lot of engine swaps so I have a pretty good idea how large a radiator one needs for any given application. The radiator in the 05 would be ok for a 281 ci engine if it had no more than 8.5 - 1 compresion however these engines have 9.8 - 1 compression. Compression makes more power AND heat. In my opinion the rad in the 05 GT is a little small. I knew this before I got the car but being here in Canada it doesn't get hot here, ever. The highest temp we ever see here is in the mid ninties which isn't that hot in my opinion. I would think your guys in warmer climates may have more trouble. Dunno, it will be interesting to see what the dealer says tomorow.
At any rate, I am going to install aftermarket gauges for both temp and oil pressure as I don't trust the factory ones. Even though the engine seems to run ok according to the factory temp gauge I KNOW that engine is running hot. I can tell just by the amount of heat in the engine bay. I have a surface mount thermometer that I am going to use to get a rough idea in the meantime. If my suspicions are confirmed I think a larger radiator might be in order. An engine that runs too hot produces less power and may not last as long. I'll keep your guys posted.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:40 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

What's the deal with the rear end damage in your picture? Just curious.
ORIGINAL: 1fast05GT

The one issue I heard about is that the '05s are prone to what they call heat soak? Apparently the radiator is not big enough to disipate the heat quickly. According to a few articles I read, if they do 2 Dyno pulls in a row, because of the heat soak, they had seen HP levels drop as much as 17 to 20HP in the second Dyno run.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:42 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

to speak of what 1fast05gt saids, I have noticed too that I have more power when my engine is cold than when it warms up? Anyone one to intervene on this? Or is this just my imagination.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05 GT runs hot...