Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

hp performance turbo kit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 10:48 PM
jyna06gt
1st Gear Member

Default hp performance turbo kit?

I've been looking at forced induction for a while now trying to figure out what way i wanted to go turbo or cintri supercharged. I was looking threw a old 5.0 mag i had and they had nothing but good things to say about them. I was just wondering if anyone on here has one of there kits and how is the quality of the kit and most importantly the power? After i read the add i did a google search trying to find people's feedback but couldn't really find any goods or bad's about them. Any info or input would be greatly appreciate.

thanks!
Old 12-06-2009, 08:54 PM
jodadejss06gt
1st Gear Member

Well Tom Berry is the one to talk to if you need any info. I too want to go FI and want to do a turbo. I'm currently leaning torwards either the hp turbo single or the Turbo Horsepower kit. Both look pretty decent. Back a while ago I talked to Tom and he was saying with their kit at 5-6psi I should be looking to 4-425 range rwhp. He also recommended the EBC so you can change the boost whenever you want. Hope that helps.
Tom Berry
Turbocharged Power Systems
Peregrine Performance Supercars
Email: hpturbopowered@hotmail.com
Email: info@turbochargedpower.com
Phone: 575-623-1304
Fax: 575-623-9003
Old 12-07-2009, 01:23 AM
jyna06gt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jodadejss06gt
Well Tom Berry is the one to talk to if you need any info. I too want to go FI and want to do a turbo. I'm currently leaning torwards either the hp turbo single or the Turbo Horsepower kit. Both look pretty decent. Back a while ago I talked to Tom and he was saying with their kit at 5-6psi I should be looking to 4-425 range rwhp. He also recommended the EBC so you can change the boost whenever you want. Hope that helps.
Tom Berry
Turbocharged Power Systems
Peregrine Performance Supercars
Email: hpturbopowered@hotmail.com
Email: info@turbochargedpower.com
Phone: 575-623-1304
Fax: 575-623-9003
cool thanks man def going to have to give them a call. But in beer terms budweiser being the best(of course) is the hp kit like bud light good? or more like natural light? lol just trying to get the best kit for the buck, given that helion is the budweiser for the turbo kits for mustangs.(from what i read)
Old 12-07-2009, 06:09 AM
yellowjohn1

Originally Posted by jyna06gt
cool thanks man def going to have to give them a call. But in beer terms budweiser being the best(of course) is the hp kit like bud light good? or more like natural light? lol just trying to get the best kit for the buck, given that helion is the budweiser for the turbo kits for mustangs.(from what i read)
For the relatively small difference in money, I have heard nothing but good things about Hellion. I was looking at HP performance a while back and got a lot of warnings to stay away.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:14 AM
bobby1110
3rd Gear Member

go with hellion it fits perfect and you will never have any problem with it.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:15 PM
jodadejss06gt
1st Gear Member

Hellion does look good but I had heard at one point that it was harder to tune the turbo kits that have a MAF before the turbo. So someone may want to correct me if this is wrong but the car goes really rich when you let off because the computer thinks your bringing more air then you really are and then uping the fuel. That and relocating the swaybar is my other concern. All of this is from my own research and not experience. Maybe sam stranno would be one to talk to if you have any concern for how the car will handle after moving the swaybar. The kit does seem to be very complete though.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:21 AM
jyna06gt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jodadejss06gt
Hellion does look good but I had heard at one point that it was harder to tune the turbo kits that have a MAF before the turbo. So someone may want to correct me if this is wrong but the car goes really rich when you let off because the computer thinks your bringing more air then you really are and then uping the fuel. That and relocating the swaybar is my other concern. All of this is from my own research and not experience. Maybe sam stranno would be one to talk to if you have any concern for how the car will handle after moving the swaybar. The kit does seem to be very complete though.
that is just what i was thinking as well
Old 12-08-2009, 07:26 AM
bobby1110
3rd Gear Member

i converted to blow through so i cant comment on that. i took my sway bar off, and you cant even tell at all.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:28 AM
jodadejss06gt
1st Gear Member

Bobby, what is your main use for the car. I don't see how disconnecting the sway bar would be a great idea for a DD and taking corners hard? If your main purpose is to drag the car, then you don't really need the lateral support that the bar provides. If I were to get a kit it would need to maintain stock like drivability and street manors.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:15 PM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Two of my good friends have the helion turbo kit and it's been great for both of them. One has around 40k miles on turbo kit.

The one issue that they both have is that the pipes hang pretty low, and with them both being lowered they do tend to scrape a fair amount. The good thing is that the pipes are top notch quality and the system fit great.

They are both running the 9lb spring and have around 460hp I believe...

I've driven both quite a bit and they drive like stock when you're not in boost.

Quick Reply: hp performance turbo kit?