Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Just recieved a new tune

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 01:28 AM
Daryl06
2nd Gear Member

Default Just recieved a new tune

I have a supercharger wideband gauge and when I got this new tune the gauge was bouncing around during normal low rpm driving. My wideband travels from low 13s To to 16s And when I let my foot off the gas my gauge goes right to 16.With the Gauge lights light showing green and then full red. It's really bright at night. lol Question. What are the usual operating low rpm A/F ratio parameters while just cruising around or sitting at idle with the car in gear? Feedback? Thx.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:20 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

wish i could help you daryl06, but i
don't have an a/f gauge.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:40 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

yeah mines not hooked up yet either...
Old 12-12-2009, 09:09 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

It's perfectly normal for the A/F to fluctuate while cruising and to show lean when you let off the gas, especially at high rpms. There isn't much fuel being added when you let off.

What's the A/F show at WOT? It should be pretty steady.

Who's tune? Dyno tune?
Old 12-13-2009, 12:47 AM
Daryl06
2nd Gear Member

It's a Brenspeed custom e-mail. I have had my car Dynotuned by the only two shops around here and my canned JDM tune ran better than both of the others. They both gave me my money back. So I've heard these guys (Brent) have put a lot of time into calibrating these kits.It will go on the Dyno on Monday for a baseline. I haven't had good times with tuning so I don't want to take any chances. I've been just cruising around at low RPM to see any issues. The driveability is amazing. Best throttle response I have ever drove on this thing. It's -2 celsius outside so no wot.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:32 AM
aclass
3rd Gear Member

keep us posted Daryl06, I'm interested to see the results and your opinion.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:35 AM
Daryl06
2nd Gear Member

Well I didn't get to the dyno this week.I found out that Brenspeed has a option on their tunes called a Dynolock.This will lock the tranny in fourth while on the dyno. It gives a better run I suppose. So my tune didn't have this lock. So I am getting a new tune Friday with this option. I don't know why a person can't just put it fourth manually. But so far these guys are total professionals.Great service.So in the meantime I got my manifold,throttle body, etc flushed they said it was just loaded with black gunk.Time for an oil separator.Any feedback on this 'Dynolock?'
Old 12-18-2009, 11:04 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

At idle mine runs around 14.6 - 14.7. 14.7 is considered neutral. Any less than that is rich, any more is lean. Its common on startup for mine to run lean for a few seconds. During normal driving around town, occasionally it'll blip up high for a fraction of a section, but 99% of the time when I look at the gauge its reading 14.6 - 14.7. When I mash the gas and go WOT, it'll drop to around 11.7 - 11.2 as the boost increases. When I let my foot off the gas quickly from WOT, it'll bottom out rich at 10 for a second, then slowly work its way back up to 14.7 over a period of maybe 4-5 seconds.

The behavior on yours doesn't sound entirely out of the norm, but granted you've got a different blower type than I do, which could account for some of the difference in general behavior.

If you are higher than a reading of 12 at WOT, that would be too lean/dangerous IMO. Ideally you want to be mid-11's (tending towards low when you really get up there in RPM) at WOT from what I understand. Granted, I am not a qualified technician. My advice is to email Brenspeed with your observations on the gauge to ensure that what you are seeing, is what they expect. If you're seeing 12+ at WOT, my advice is to NOT go WOT again until you discuss the readings with Brenspeed. That would be a dangerous condition as I understand it.

IMO running a blower without an A/F and fuel pressure gauge takes cajones, guys. Its one thing the say ok on tune day, the car was running a perfect A/F, but the world isn't that consistent. Any component failure or problem that arises later could affect the A/F, and you may not really discover that until something pops. The gauges aren't a guaranteed 'save', however your chances of seeing that something is awry increase.

Last edited by Mudflap; 12-18-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:29 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
IMO running a blower without an A/F and fuel pressure gauge takes cajones, guys. Its one thing the say ok on tune day, the car was running a perfect A/F, but the world isn't that consistent. Any component failure or problem that arises later could affect the A/F, and you may not really discover that until something pops. The gauges aren't a guaranteed 'save', however your chances of seeing that something is awry increase.
I must have big ones. I can't even watch my boost gauge without almost running off the road. Having all those gauges is dangerous.

Ask the few people on here that have blown motors. I know some of them had a Air/fuel gauge. I do like to check my fuel pressure, which is why I have a gauge that does that, but I don't watch it all the time.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:00 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Clearly, I don't drive staring at a gauge dude. If you can't glance at a gauge while driving, then how the hell do you know how much gas you have or fast you're going? Gimme a break with the dangerous bulls#$%.

Quick Reply: Just recieved a new tune