Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

FRPP Hotrod cam owners, I need help......

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 10:30 AM
one.wicked.stang
2nd Gear Member

Default FRPP Hotrod cam owners, I need help......

I have a 2006 Mustang GT (Automatic) that I had the FRPP Hotrod Cam installed on. When the car is at a low idle sitting still (parked) it runs fine, it also runs fine at freeway speeds. However, in stop and go traffic conditions or low rpm cruising in town light to light driving the O/D off light will start flashing and the car starts driving badly (wont shift, higher revs between shifts, stuff like that). If I pull over and shut the car down then restart it and get out of the conditions mentioned it runs great. Anyone else have a similar problem or heard of this. With the stock cams in I NEVER had this problem. The tunes are from Bamachips, the tune the day of the install was not modified for the cams and it had this problem, the tune for the cams has this problem also. Could it still be a tune issue or something else?
Old 08-17-2009, 11:38 AM
KcMstang
2nd Gear Member

I would contact Doug at Bamachips for his advice. To me it sounds like something in the tune needs to be adjusted like the idle. Have you tried any adjustments yourself? Might to to plug in the tuner and try raising the idle and see what happens.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:09 PM
RainsFather
1st Gear Member

Crazy question- are you running the a/c when this is happening? I know installing my HR cams made running my a/c in stop and go traffic make my car run like ****.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:09 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Ah man I don't want to hear this! LOL! I guess the Comp Cams Thumprs would be the same...
Old 08-17-2009, 07:10 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

+1 RainsFather, i know exactly what you are
referring to.

i generally turn the ac off when in stop and go
traffic and turn it on when longer stretches
are available. it's not that it runs terribly, it's
just that we can tell some of the low end torque
is missing in action....

it's the price we pay to play

Originally Posted by RainsFather

I know installing my HR cams made running my a/c in stop and go traffic make my car run like ****.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:53 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Well down here in Tejas turning off the A/C in the summer is just not going to happen.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:59 PM
jgf07

don't worry about it, mine does it sometimes. you need to adjust the idle to 800 rpms will help out with this. but it is no cure,i think it just freaks the auto tranny out because of the lopey idle. mine does the same thing yours does. 11,000 miles with hot rod cams no problems. except the occasional o/d light flashing. nature of the beast..
Old 08-17-2009, 10:01 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

we shall see

Originally Posted by SirKnightTG
Well down here in Tejas turning off the A/C in the summer is just not going to happen.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:03 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

very nice to hear jgf07, i may have 1500 miles
so far and also no problems

Originally Posted by jgf07

11,000 miles with hot rod cams no problems
Old 08-19-2009, 06:29 AM
one.wicked.stang
2nd Gear Member

I was emailed a new tune from Matt at Bamachips yesterday evening that was written from scratch off of a base file. I installed tune and drove the car down the street to my buddys house and around the hood. Light never came on, it usually (90% of the time) comes on. The true test will be on the way home from work today because I'll be in stop and go traffic where the O/D off light would always (100%) start flashing. I'll keep everyone updated...........

Quick Reply: FRPP Hotrod cam owners, I need help......