Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

installed aluminum driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 01:53 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Yep going with the Adapter Plate version, so 499 Shaftmasters I'll give a shot. I've heard no bad about them, and if not racing, I don't hover above 80 for any time period anyways, if I'm in South Dakota on 94 it's 75 on freeway, then we'll see.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:11 PM
sponkey21
1st Gear Member

I think that an aluminum drive shaft sounds like a great mod. Glad to hear you guys are really enjoying it/noticing the difference. Saving weight in the driveline should mean more RWHP right? Less rotational weight in the system means less loss from flywheel to tires? I would think the pick up would be a bit snappier and the fact that braking seems to get better is interesting too.
How much weight do you save upgrading from stock?
Old 12-22-2009, 04:58 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

I did the shaftermasters with the adapter. It is smooth as silk. I have been to 130 with it and not a virbation anywhere. The response is better, the car is much snappier out of the hole and it has better freeway pickup as well.

The isntall (on a hoist) took me about 1 hour. Very easy. If I had to do it in a driveway, it would have been 2 hours just because of the added time to crawl around. In anycase, it is an easy and basic install.

I wouldnt hesitate doing it for a second.

Last edited by FastDEW; 12-22-2009 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:22 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

39 pounds for stock 18 for aluminum thanks.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:30 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

dew did you see my sound tube response
Old 12-23-2009, 12:22 AM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

I have been consumed with end of year business. I will check it out. Havent spent much time on the net the past few days.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:54 AM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FastDEW
The isntall (on a hoist) took me about 1 hour. Very easy.
Yeah, I'd do this myself if I had a lift but I hate crawling around under a car on jackstands so if I do this mod, I'm paying somebody.

Say DEW, how 'bout some pictures of the electric front plate holder? In both up and down positions if you don't mind. TIA.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:13 AM
Blair
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by WeinerDog
Yeah, I'd do this myself if I had a lift but I hate crawling around under a car on jackstands so if I do this mod, I'm paying somebody.

Say DEW, how 'bout some pictures of the electric front plate holder? In both up and down positions if you don't mind. TIA.
Doing the work yourself if 99% of the fun. I do all the work on my car despite the fact that I am in my late thirties and according to my wife and kids am "too old" to be working on cars. In doing all the work I have become very familiar with the car and know it inside and out.

This install really isn't that bad on jackstands, nothing like headers. But you have to put the car in gear and set the parking brake to keep the driveshaft from turning while loosening and tightening bolts. You have to rotate the shaft a couple of times to get all the bolts which requires some back and forth from under the car to in the car, but overall it only took maybe 1 hour. The only part that is slightly tough is getting the stock shaft out and moving it around once unbolted as it weighs so much. If that thing fell on you, you'd be a goner.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:07 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Late 30's, then she would not put up with me 55 having grandkids move the gears while I turn the shaft LMAO
Old 12-23-2009, 10:30 AM
WeinerDog
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blair
Doing the work yourself if 99% of the fun.
Oh I agree, but I guess it's a phobia about the jackstands. I love to do my own work as I'm able. Know what you mean about the wife too. Mine sort of freaked out when she saw the whole rear of the car disassembled when I put the Roush valance on.

The SSS axlebacks are coming today so hopefully I'll get to them this long weekend, if not tonight.

Quick Reply: installed aluminum driveshaft