Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Corsa Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 05:38 PM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Corsa Exhaust

F1Fan,

Thanks for the write up. Interesting info.

So in your tests...adding free flowing axle backs or straight pipes (like the SLP's loudmouths) actually caused a power loss? This is probably the computer pulling back timing. This 2005 ECU is sooooo sensitive. It appears that any modification will require a tune.

I'm sticking with the stock exhaust for now unless I get headers in the future (Which would require a custom tune anyways).

Ford really did their homework with the stock exhaust which is refreshing to see.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:38 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bahbahblacksheep

F1Fan,

Thanks for the write up. Interesting info.

So in your tests...adding free flowing axle backs or straight pipes (like the SLP's loudmouths) actually caused a power loss? This is probably the computer pulling back timing. This 2005 ECU is sooooo sensitive. It appears that any modification will require a tune.

I'm sticking with the stock exhaust for now unless I get headers in the future (Which would require a custom tune anyways).

Ford really did their homework with the stock exhaust which is refreshing to see.

blacksheep,

I used 2.5" steel exhaust tube scrap for the straight test tubes, I did not have a set of straight through cans to test with. I had my local muffler shop cut and expand the axle end, then bend them in an S just enough to point them out the rear of the car to the same length as a stock Ford muffler. They looked pretty wierd but the length was right on for the testing. I wasn't looking at the ignition timing during the run nor did we take the time to log the ECU data, I was looking at the WBO2 display.

BTW, there was no significant difference in A/F during the run with the straight test pipe vs. the stock Ford mufflers so I don't think there was any ignition timing pulled out. I think the exhaust system on my car as it sits is just too big and offers insuficent back pressure without a muffler installed.

If I knew what I know now I would probably just go with JBA headers, stock Ford catted H pipe or weld in a Bassani SS X-pipe after the factory cats and one of the straight through rear mufflers like Corsa or Magnaflow. The problem with going with a straight through rear muffler design with the current setup (JBA shortys & Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe with high flow cats), is that the system becomes a basically straight through system and is really LOUD all the time, even cruzing around town. This is just not tollerable even for a car nut like me and on a daily basis downright unacceptable to everybody in town and the next county. So the solution for me was to load up the stock rear muffs and enjoy the power and sound of the JBA headers and Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe w/cats which also just happen to make the best HP and torque given the components I have on hand. I may go out and find some double wall or rolled tips for the stock muffs and cut off the stock slash cut tips and weld on the new ones. I don't like the slash cut single wall tube look so much.

HTH
Old 07-26-2005, 08:43 PM
New2Ford
1st Gear Member

I never got how an exhaust can be too loud[&:]????? I have all my life been runnin muscle cars with everything from glasspaks to open headers and have yet to find it too loud and Im 37!
N2F
Old 07-26-2005, 09:03 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: New2Ford

I never got how an exhaust can be too loud[&:]????? I have all my life been runnin muscle cars with everything from glasspaks to open headers and have yet to find it too loud and Im 37!
N2F

New2Ford,

You're too young to know the problems youll have when you're older. There is more to consider than my own feelings on the sounds coming out of my garage. I've been running open and performance exhaust systems on everything from vintage F1 cars (open tubular exhaust), GP race bikes (open tubular with megaphones or expansion chambers), muscle cars blown and N.A. hot German imports w/turbos, blowers and N.A. etc. The problem is that for the last 18 years I've been doing it all in one place and my neighbors are as tired of it as the cops are chasing me down to tell me to get that thing back in the garage and off the street or I'll get yet another ticket. I'm only 50 and expect to live a little longer here and want my neighbors to stay friends so they can all the paramedics when I keel over.

When you've lived in a small town, in one place as long as I have with so many toys and even more friends with more toys than me that need fixing, tuning, tweeking or whatever you'll be saying the same thing.

HTH
Old 07-27-2005, 12:47 AM
New2Ford
1st Gear Member

You are 13 yrs. older than me,so I dont think I am too young.I have lived in the same 3 blocks of a small town on my own since 16.The place I am at now I have been in since 20.So I have had the same neighbors for 17 years,and I dont give a **** about them.I have the cops at my door every month for being too loud and it dosnt bother me one bit!I love it loud and think its pretty stupid for you to say you dont like it loud because of your neighbors,**** them and do what you want!
N2F
Old 07-27-2005, 05:58 AM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

[/quote]

"Too many factors with dynos that can influence numbers so I always take dyno numbers with a grain of salt..."

"Don't be fooled by BS marketing departments. There is no gain to be had from Axle backs on the 2005 mustang gt's"

[/quote]

OK, you don't put much faith in dynos, where do you think the Magazines got their data from?

And the reviews and dyno results I was talking about were not from the manufacturers. I don't know if the mufflers are any good, I'm just repeating what I've seen.

Old 07-27-2005, 06:09 AM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

F1 Fan,

How does your switching out different components of your exhaust setup with a tune have anything to do with Corsa's mufflers w/o a tune?
Old 07-27-2005, 06:42 AM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

Someone post some reliable #'s for these please so we can all stop guessing.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:04 AM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DAVE05GT

"Too many factors with dynos that can influence numbers so I always take dyno numbers with a grain of salt..."

"Don't be fooled by BS marketing departments. There is no gain to be had from Axle backs on the 2005 mustang gt's"

OK, you don't put much faith in dynos, where do you think the Magazines got their data from?

And the reviews and dyno results I was talking about were not from the manufacturers. I don't know if the mufflers are any good, I'm just repeating what I've seen.

Dave, I went to the Corsa website ( http://www.corsaperf.com/mustang.htm ) and they claim...13hp, 9 ft/lbs with just the mufflers (axle backs) and they claim you get the gains as a direct bolt on (i.e., no tune). This makes me a little skeptical. The numbers are too high for the 2005 mustang gt which does not react to mods like mustangs of old. It makes me more skeptical when I know the stock exhaust is not a restriction. Are these magic mufflers? Do they behave against the laws of physics? (You recognize what movie I'm sorta quoting from? lol)

Old 07-27-2005, 07:18 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Has anyone seen the Ford Racing shorty headers? They're stainless steel, direct bolton. $350 from dealer. $320 online. Do you think I'll see any HP gains with otherwise stock exhaust? Throttle response? Sound changes? I'm drawn to them b/c they're a Genuine Ford part, my dealer will do the install for $175 if I don't want to do it myself and they'll be waranteed. It sounds from all the talk here that they may not do anything?

[IMG]local://upfiles/16153/730884E5A39348A6B484F0770577AE8D.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Corsa Exhaust