Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Corsa Exhaust

Old 07-20-2005, 11:44 PM
cliff

Default Corsa Exhaust

Does anyone have this system? If so, how does it compare to the stock exhaust?

Thanks,
Old 07-24-2005, 03:49 PM
nickbrace
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Corsa Exhaust

There is one guy on here who has it I think....cannot think who though - use the search link at top of page and you should find some info.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:31 PM
JC74
2nd Gear Member

OK, sorry it took me awhile to finally post some video of my Corsa exhaust, but here it is. I installed the axle-back within 24 hours of delivery. I wish I had waited a couple of weeks so I could get a feel for the stock exhaust. It's difficult to say if there was a significant HP/torque gain. It did seem a little more resonsive, but it could be all in my head.

The exhaust does sound nice WOT and is pretty quiet in the cabin.

http://jusspress.com/day.php?userid=...724&imageNum=0
Old 07-25-2005, 12:08 AM
cliff

JC74--Thanks the for response and the video. Your Mustang sounds really good. I also like the tail lights. I was looking on the net and found someone that installed the Corsa exhaust and the dyno actually showed 15 hp and 10 lbs torque increase at the rear wheels. Even if there isn't much of an increase in power, I think the exhaust sound is worth the price.

thanks again!
Old 07-25-2005, 12:22 AM
Albizo66
4th Gear Member

Man, sweet sounds..thats got a lot of gurgle to it!
Old 07-25-2005, 07:04 AM
nickbrace
2nd Gear Member

That sounds so sweet!!! A deep growl - great noise
Old 07-25-2005, 02:17 PM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliff

JC74--Thanks the for response and the video. Your Mustang sounds really good. I also like the tail lights. I was looking on the net and found someone that installed the Corsa exhaust and the dyno actually showed 15 hp and 10 lbs torque increase at the rear wheels. Even if there isn't much of an increase in power, I think the exhaust sound is worth the price.

thanks again!
they sound nice, but there's no way you're getting 15hp and 10lbs from switching out axle backs, especially since the stock exhaust is not a restriction until about 400hp.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:02 PM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bahbahblacksheep

thanks again!
they sound nice, but there's no way you're getting 15hp and 10lbs from switching out axle backs, especially since the stock exhaust is not a restriction until about 400hp.
I used to think that also but now I've heard of like 4 or 5 people claiming gains in the 10 hp range on dyno's for these things. Either there's something to it or Corsa has orchestrated an elaborate conspiracy. Well gotta go de-bug my house again, you know big brother is watching.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:38 PM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DAVE05GT

thanks again!
I used to think that also but now I've heard of like 4 or 5 people claiming gains in the 10 hp range on dyno's for these things. Either there's something to it or Corsa has orchestrated an elaborate conspiracy. Well gotta go de-bug my house again, you know big brother is watching.
Too many factors with dynos that can influence numbers so I always take dyno numbers with a grain of salt...

Well, there are many articles on the internet that say there is 0 gain from switching out the mufflers. Here's a quote from Ford Muscle Magazine:

"...modern engines, especially those with variable cam timing like the '05 Mustang, are not going to respond to a reduction in backpressure like older engines do. This is largely in part due to the variable cam timing and wide lobe separation angles used on modern cams. As a result the exhaust system plays very little role, if any, on scavenging and drawing the intake charge to the cylinder. It is no surprise then that we saw no significant power gains on the dyno. The factory '05 mufflers apparently flow well enough to support as much as 425 horsepower."

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...lers/index.php

Don't be fooled by BS marketing departments. There is no gain to be had from Axle backs on the 2005 mustang gt's

Old 07-26-2005, 05:25 PM
F1Fan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DAVE05GT

thanks again!
Too many factors with dynos that can influence numbers so I always take dyno numbers with a grain of salt...

Well, there are many articles on the internet that say there is 0 gain from switching out the mufflers. Here's a quote from Ford Muscle Magazine:

"...modern engines, especially those with variable cam timing like the '05 Mustang, are not going to respond to a reduction in backpressure like older engines do. This is largely in part due to the variable cam timing and wide lobe separation angles used on modern cams. As a result the exhaust system plays very little role, if any, on scavenging and drawing the intake charge to the cylinder. It is no surprise then that we saw no significant power gains on the dyno. The factory '05 mufflers apparently flow well enough to support as much as 425 horsepower."

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...lers/index.php

Don't be fooled by BS marketing departments. There is no gain to be had from Axle backs on the 2005 mustang gt's

blacksheep.

I'm with you, on the new 3V GT there are VERY few ponys IF ANY to be found by changing out the rear mufflers only. I've had several combinations on the dyno using a mix of the stock exhaust manifolds, stock catted H pipe, stock rear mufflers, JBA shorty headers, Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe with high flow OBDII compliant cat and JBA's rear mufflers and no rear muflers.

What I found on the chassis dyno with JBA's shorty headers and a Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe with cats installed there was a LOSS of HP when running straight pipes in back. This tells me the exhaust tubing is not holding back the engine's power and that the headers and cats are flowing more air than the engine likes. There was no HP to be had when adding the JBA rear muflers and surprise, a slight LOSS of torque in the midrange, this tells me that the JBA muffs flow a lot of air with no restrictions, virtually the same as the straight pipes hung over the axles used for testing. The comination of JBA headers and Tru-X Pipe with cats with stock GT muffs showed gains in HP and torque against stock manifolds, stock H pipe and stock muffs, about 10lbs. torque, and 17HP peak. I also found a few ponys with the combination of JBA shorty headers, stock catted H pipe and JBA's rear mufflers, this was the torquiest combination by a slim margin, probably near the margin of error for the dyno (it was repeatable so the thinking was that it's real but small), but it fell flat on power much earlier with slightly less peak HP than the JBA shorty/Mag Tru-X/stock Ford muffs combination.

What this all means IMO is that Ford did a good job in the exhaust department and designed a very quiet system that can deliver very good power for a NA motor probably up to the 425HP that they told their technology partners it was good to. There is power to be had but it comes at a high price, JBA's shortys are IMO the best available with the longest most even length tubes of any shorty header, I don't think there is a shorty that can beat the JBA's for power or build quality. JBA's are also very well built being stainless steel instead of plain mild steel tubing as are the vast majority of after market headers. If you can get a stainless steel version of one of the other headers they will not be much cheaper and they will also likely not make as much powerdue to their simpler design.

In the exhaust system, axle backs are the most expensive dollars to HP ratio and apparently they can actually make you slower than stock! It also means that all of the straight through systems may actually work to some degree but they most likely will only work on a 3V GT engine with a stock manifold and stock H pipe if at all. I also know that for a car with headers and high flow cats, a straight through pipe looses power. this means Loudmouths and the other socalled straight through axle back designs are likely to have some power gains for a stock manifold and H pipe equiped car but will loose power with the addition of headers and high flow catted X pipe or cattless X or H pipes. IMO this all really boils down to the fact that buying cheap headers and or expensive axle back mufflers is a TOTAL waste of money from a performance point of view. The only significant power to be found was from top of the line headers and highflow catted X-pipe and this was not a lot of power compared to say installing a CAI and a using a name brand programmer.

These are the only places to find power in the 3V GT's exhaust at the moment unless you are going to supercharge the engine or add some other form of power adder. Ford has the exhaust well designed in the new GT's for almost any all motor combination though there are a few more ponys to be found in a good set of shorty headers and high flow cats. There are also a few more ponys to be had if you can accept the compromise that full length headers are especially for a daily driver. JBA long tube headers and a straight X-Pipe run out to stock GT mufflers will make very good power (about 25HP), and will also sound incredible but are also VERY loud. Obviously this is a track or strip system, the lack of cats and very high SPL of this exhaust system will land you a BIG fine and/or a fix-it ticket pronto.

BTW, all of my testing was done on a Mustang chassis dyo with Steeda CAI and DiabloSport Predator supplied by Steeda and a custom dyno tune. You can see Ford REALLY did their homework on the exhaust system because these numbers were from an optimized tune so the gains for the exhaust system would be even LESS without the CAI and dyno tune!

HTH

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corsa Exhaust