Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

1st car an 07 mustang...now if you guys can help me

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 01:34 AM
HoboDxb
2nd Gear Member

Talking 1st car an 07 mustang...now if you guys can help me

soup it up! Hello people, my name's Andy and my dad just bought me an '07 Mustang GT V8. It's second hand with an AT transmission and as far as I am aware,completely stock. I have a rough budget of $5000 to tweak it here and there and I thought I'd seek some expertise from you lot on MF here as I'v got no clue about performance upgrades. Things I'm hoping to find within the budget is an exhaust system (to make it sound good if not necessarily perform), brakes, any minor engine upgrades to shell out a few extra hp and decrease 0-60 time, a decent body kit. I was hoping if you guys could help me compile a list of parts to order within the budget. One site which caught my attention in particular was www.americanmuscle.com which had a great collection of parts...so I'v already picked out headlights,taillights,and other additionals. Hope you all can help me! Thanks! Just to add, I'm 18 and been driving for roughly 6 months now...
Old 12-27-2009, 02:20 AM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HoboDxb
soup it up! Hello people, my name's Andy and my dad just bought me an '07 Mustang GT V8. It's second hand with an AT transmission and as far as I am aware,completely stock. I have a rough budget of $5000 to tweak it here and there and I thought I'd seek some expertise from you lot on MF here as I'v got no clue about performance upgrades. Things I'm hoping to find within the budget is an exhaust system (to make it sound good if not necessarily perform), brakes, any minor engine upgrades to shell out a few extra hp and decrease 0-60 time, a decent body kit. I was hoping if you guys could help me compile a list of parts to order within the budget. One site which caught my attention in particular was www.americanmuscle.com which had a great collection of parts...so I'v already picked out headlights,taillights,and other additionals. Hope you all can help me! Thanks! Just to add, I'm 18 and been driving for roughly 6 months now...
seeing as your only experience is 6 months of driving id wait on performance parts. Especially brakes, no need for new ones unless you want the look at this point.

Americanmuscle is great and comes highly recommended by many.
As for a body kit, you can get off way cheaper with just a chin spoiler and maybe a gt/cs rear bumper.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:28 AM
gman73
5th Gear Member

+1 don't worry about performance parts yet. Learn to handle the car 1st. As far as exterior upgrades, new wheels and tires, agent 47 mirrors and other exterior mods.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:31 AM
AU2BOT
2nd Gear Member

American Muscle is A number one for parts and stuff as well, I realize your young but the first thing I would do is get a CAI ( Cold Air Intake ) and a custom performance tune package from Brenspeed.com or Tillman's.com and you will have a whole new car as far as performance goes , its the best bang for your buck for about $600.00-800.00 its well worth the investment.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:56 AM
BeitzelGT
2nd Gear Member

I agree with them on waiting on HP gains since you havent been driving long... You really wont be racing much, hopefully.. And the car has a decent amount of power to start with.

As for mods, I'd go with a CAI and tune, like 07GT2NV stated, which would give you a good 25-30HP and do a full exhaust to make it sound NICE! Get some nice rims/new tires and some side window louvers and your mustang will be looking freaking awesome man and sounding the same!
Old 12-27-2009, 09:23 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the car.

Take the time to read the stickies in the forum so you can get an idea of what mods do what. As stated above, exhaust work (with the exception of headers) will only gain you sound; no performance. The info in the forum will give you info on which mods gain whatever RWHP, which look good mods look better than others, etc..

Enjoy the toy and don't be (too much) a hot dog. Don't want to see you or the Stang get hurt.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:20 AM
loudnlow
3rd Gear Member

I know where your at lol When I was 16 My first car was an 01 GT I put gears, cams, headers and full exhaust, tuned it, cold air intake, underdrive pulleys, lowered it and some other crap. Well long story short I totaled it and almost killed myself. Then 2 years ago when I turned 18 I got my 05 GT I racked up a few tickets. Driving like a douche isnt cool man, its really not. It hard not to when your young and have a sick car though. Just remember this one thing driving like you respect your car gets you more respect. Plus it always seemed to get me more girls.... Haha

I know how cool it is being 18 and haveing a bad *** car. I have also had my license suspended twice and paid over 4k in tickets within 4 years. But I drive very safely now.

But that being said your best money spent would be a SCT X3 tuner and cold air intake from brenspeed. They have superior tunes and customer service. Next thing I wuld buy would be an axle back exhaust. There are many great ones it all depends onn what sound you prefer. Next thing would be a set of gears either 4:10s or 3:73s. With those mods you will have one fast car man.

As far as exterior goes just do a chin spoiler and lower it or something maybe a gt500 spoiler.

But congrats on the car and welcome!
Old 12-27-2009, 10:21 AM
loudnlow
3rd Gear Member

BTW if you want a cold air and some flowmasters Ill make you a kick *** deal on them to get your car going.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:55 AM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

With $5k in mod money you COULD get a Vortech V3 supercharger from Brenspeed along with some LT headers and maybe even some LCAs... but the question remains do you need that much HP at such an inexperienced driving level? My thoughts are probably not because that kit would put you over 400rwhp, an increase of around 140-160hp over stock.

I'd stick with getting some new suspension (shocks, struts, springs), long tube headers, axle backs and a CAI with SCT tuner. That should set you back around $2.5k or so and allow you to keep the other $3k to help pay for college...
Old 12-27-2009, 11:35 AM
S197steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pypedgt
I know how cool it is being 18 and haveing a bad *** car. I have also had my license suspended twice and paid over 4k in tickets within 4 years. But I drive very safely now.
You sure about that? :-)

Aren't you the same 'pypedgt' that has two street racing threads posted in the Street/Strip section in the past week?

Last edited by S197steve; 12-27-2009 at 11:38 AM.

Quick Reply: 1st car an 07 mustang...now if you guys can help me