Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Car bogs REALLY bad at cold start after whipple

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 11:35 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Default Car bogs REALLY bad at cold start after whipple

Ever since my whipple install and custom dyno tune, at cold starts, my car would bog really bad and the rpms would go so low i cannot even feel the car is on anymore.
When i start the car, the rpms will start at about 2000-2100 and eventually go down to 700 at idle. If i dont start driving right away on the street (for example im driving slow in a parking garage) the car will begin to bog badly and today it dropped to an all time low of about 200-300 rpm!! The car didint shut off, but felt like it wanted to.
I have to give it gas and it would sputter a couple seconds(kind of like it doesnt have enough fuel flowing into the engine smoothly) then finally get to normal operating level. What could be the problem? Injectors? (i have 38lbs) Tune? not enough fuel going to the car? Rpms set too low? Keep in mind i have never touched the rpm settings of my car even though i increased tire size etc. Could that be the problem the rpms are so low?

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2009, 01:18 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

chididdy, how does your car run with the
FRPP calibration?

it does sound like a tune issue to me at this
point.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:01 AM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

hammeron, I never had the frpp tune. I am thinking about purchasing it though over my custom dyno tune (i may be the first to ever prefer this lol) because everyone whom ive spoke with never had an issue with their frpp tune.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:09 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

It's tuning. Call your tuner and explain it to him. He may want a datalog of the event and then he can adjust it.

There is a table within the tuning stuf thatmy tuner called "cold based timing". It's basically a very mild version of your tune for when your car is cold. Generally very little timing and extar fuel to keep the motor running just right until it's warm. This stuff can be adjusted.

I'm not sure if this is your issue but it could be.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:08 AM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
It's tuning. Call your tuner and explain it to him. He may want a datalog of the event and then he can adjust it.

There is a table within the tuning stuf thatmy tuner called "cold based timing". It's basically a very mild version of your tune for when your car is cold. Generally very little timing and extar fuel to keep the motor running just right until it's warm. This stuff can be adjusted.

I'm not sure if this is your issue but it could be.
Ok thank you. Your explanation makes sense to me. I still kind of want the frpp tune because i was told that the same tune can be used for whipple pulleys 3.625-3.375 or something like that. Can a custom tune be done like that? Or everytime i change a pulley for slightly more power i must retune?
Old 12-29-2009, 12:16 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

maybe the place that dyno tuned it, can adjust the tune for free. ask them and see what they say. i believe the FRPP tune is the same up to 10-12 psi. custom tune may be different. i changed pulleys from 3.375 to 3.5 when i changed to 8 ribs, my custom tune is the same.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:46 PM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
maybe the place that dyno tuned it, can adjust the tune for free. ask them and see what they say. i believe the FRPP tune is the same up to 10-12 psi. custom tune may be different. i changed pulleys from 3.375 to 3.5 when i changed to 8 ribs, my custom tune is the same.
Nah my tuner charged 150 to retune it last time when i went from 3.875 to 3.625. I think all he did was ad fuel or something. Maybe the frpp tune lets you go up to 10-12 psi because they set the tune to add sufficient fuel up to that high of boost alrdy?
Old 12-29-2009, 02:22 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

I could be wrong, but I think when you get an frpp 10psi tune, it's good for 8-12.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:12 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-02-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:00 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by ChiDiddy
Ok thank you. Your explanation makes sense to me. I still kind of want the frpp tune because i was told that the same tune can be used for whipple pulleys 3.625-3.375 or something like that. Can a custom tune be done like that? Or everytime i change a pulley for slightly more power i must retune?
I agree with what Simon1 says...I too had the same issue when cold but the car was reaL PIG RICH when at operating temp and my tuner adj my fuel trims and some other things in the tune and the car is now fine. I still start it up and let the RPMs come down and idle for a minute or 2.

My tuner told me that he only does WOT dyno runs when the car reaches operating temps which is an ideal real world condition and sets timing etc from there. He lets the car cool for 15 mins between runs and get back to operating temp before doing the next run. He said depending on climate and weather conditions on high perfromace cars with tunes/FI/etc that the tune usually doesn't need to be adjusted based off cold starts and the closed loop/ open loop that the computer controls until the cars set operating temp is reached. Anyway whippled cars seem to have suffered this the most but so have other S/C companies....which I wont name (its a centri)....

So short story...tune....then enjoy!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Car bogs REALLY bad at cold start after whipple