Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Long Tubes VS. Shorties

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 08:27 AM
Darren05
1st Gear Member

Default Long Tubes VS. Shorties

Is the horsepower difference between the two worth the extra $400? I already have the stock H-pipe for emissions and an off road H-pipe that would work with the Shorties. If I go long tube, I will have to get a catted H-pipe for the Long tubes. All in all, do you think it is worth it or is the h-power increase minimal over the shorties and not worth the extra money. Either one would be an increase over my stock manifolds. Would just like to get ya'lls opinion.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:08 AM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

I am just a fan of shorties, so I say them. Also you will feel the low end torque more in shorties.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:17 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I don't care for the power gains of either for the $$ but if I had to choose, I'd get LT's. If you intend on getting cams at some point, then by all means get headers. The LT's will reap better gains with cams but the shorties will do pretty well, too. IMO, cams and headers are as good a power adder if not better than a CAI & tune.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:46 AM
swat 79
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I don't care for the power gains of either for the $$ but if I had to choose, I'd get LT's. If you intend on getting cams at some point, then by all means get headers. The LT's will reap better gains with cams but the shorties will do pretty well, too. IMO, cams and headers are as good a power adder if not better than a CAI & tune.

I agree...Cams and headers seem to give our cars anywhere from 35-50 rwhp, where as a cai and tune is at best 30 rwhp. There is a pretty big price difference betweeen cams and headers and a cai and tune tho.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:11 AM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

i had no idea that shorty headers give any kind of hp increase. From my understanding, the stock headers are already very efficient up to 500rwhp. LTs would be my choice for the sound alone, and proven at least 10-15 rwhp gains.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:11 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

The way I look at it is this...

You can buy JBA Shorty Headers and FRPP Hot Rod Cams and have them installed for about the same price as long tube headers and catted h-pipe installed.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:13 AM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
The way I look at it is this...

You can buy JBA Shorty Headers and FRPP Hot Rod Cams and have them installed for about the same price as long tube headers and catted h-pipe installed.
depends what long tube your looking at. Mac LT only cost 400-500 and they are perfect fitting and i believe gain the same if not more rwhp than kooks and ARH which cost 1200+.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:40 AM
Darren05
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ChiDiddy
depends what long tube your looking at. Mac LT only cost 400-500 and they are perfect fitting and i believe gain the same if not more rwhp than kooks and ARH which cost 1200+.
Hey ChiDiddy,

I talked to Brenspeed and I can get from them the Pypes Long tubes with high flow catted H-pipe package from them for $845.00. I still haven't made up my mind on either the FRPP Hot Rod cams or the Comp Cams stage 2 Thumpers. Either way the cams will cost me between $800 and $850. That would be a total of around $1700.00. That is without installation. Or I could go with the pypes S.S. shorties for $289.00 and the cams for $850.00 and that would only cost me $1,140.00 without install. If the long tubes are only about a 10hp increase over the shorties than I really don't think it is worth the extra $500 unless the sound difference is way better than the shorties. With the $500 difference between the two I could get the 4.10's installed. BTW, I still can't get ahold of Quarter Mile Solutions at 281-498-2151, the number says it has been disconnected. Do you know of any other way to get ahold of them?
Old 12-30-2009, 10:07 AM
ChiDiddy
4th Gear Member

Well when you put it that way, yeh go with the shorty headers+cams+4.10s. Gears alone i think would be the best mod. IMO, i would go with the Hot rods. I think they sound much better over the thumpr 2s. I have spoken with Les in a while but yeh thats his number. PM me your number and ill see if he can contact you because i should be stopping by his shop later this week.

BUT, honestly i dont think you should get the shorty headers at all. Its a waste of money. The shop that dyno tuned my car had a mustang that gained 1 whp at peak and a LOSS 5 rwtq. at about 5500 rpm though, it gained 3whp and 3 rwtq. That imo, is def not worth spending 300 dollars which can go to installation of cams or a custom dyno tune
Old 12-30-2009, 05:05 PM
Shadow7874
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ChiDiddy
Well when you put it that way, yeh go with the shorty headers+cams+4.10s. Gears alone i think would be the best mod. IMO, i would go with the Hot rods. I think they sound much better over the thumpr 2s. I have spoken with Les in a while but yeh thats his number. PM me your number and ill see if he can contact you because i should be stopping by his shop later this week.

BUT, honestly i dont think you should get the shorty headers at all. Its a waste of money. The shop that dyno tuned my car had a mustang that gained 1 whp at peak and a LOSS 5 rwtq. at about 5500 rpm though, it gained 3whp and 3 rwtq. That imo, is def not worth spending 300 dollars which can go to installation of cams or a custom dyno tune
I installed some BBK shorties on monday and im quite happy so far. Asside form the rattles ive yet to address from having the h and mufflers loose it sounds amazing with my boom tubes. Truly a much better sound then the stock manifold. The car seems to feel a little stronger but i cant say for sure. Your best bet is to look for a good deal on some shorties and get them. I found mine on here brand new for 80 shipped, and ive seen many on craigslist for around 200 new. If you have someone to help you, a jack/stands, a few wrenches and some time you should be able to install them yourself in a half a day.

Quick Reply: Long Tubes VS. Shorties