Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Brenspeed tune w/BBK CAI

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 06:02 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Default Brenspeed tune w/BBK CAI

Finally thinking about picking up a SCT X3 Brenspeed tune for my BBK CAI. The only thing right now that they will only give 1 tune/3 octane's with the initial purchase. After that I either have to buy parts from them or buy updated tunes from them. I don't really have anything planned right now, as it's an automatic. The next thing on my list may possibly be wheels, and if I change sizes, I will have to fork up to update my tune. I'm thinking the tread will last me 6 months or longer. Was considering lowering springs also but then I'd most likely have to start moving into the whole suspension deal. I am leaning towards getting the tuner, but maybe I just need that extra "push". Even though all I have is a CAI, read quite a bit that the tune will pretty much free up my pony. Plus all I've read are good things about Brenspeed.

Dunno if I should wait till I get my car back from the shop first. How long does it normally take to get the tuner from Brenspeed? Also, my tech level is dirt low, so I may have to take the car to the stealership more often to get oil changes (yeah.. I should really learn how to do it) or convince my dad to do it. What are some of the usual reasons people tell them why the computer was reset? Also just out of curiosity, what happens if they catch you with a tune on your car? What is the best octane to run? I wouldn't mind sticking with 87 for the cost, but if the others do give additional benefits, I would definitely consider using them.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:39 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

You don't need to buy a revised tune to change tire size or gears. Those parameters are user adjustable. The 3 custom tunes are typical and for whichever octanes you request. I bought my CAI & tunes over 2 years ago with no further mods requiring new tunes (yet). Of the 3 tunes, I found the one I like the most (89) and that's what I keep loaded in the PCM.

If you do ANY aggressive driving, then adding the combo will definitely change the feel of the car. I highly doubt that you'd be dissappointed. Most likely you'll be mad at yourself for not doing it sooner.

Paying someone to do your oil changes is pure lunacy, IMO. Also, why do you think you need to reset anything when you go back to the dealer? Don't tell me that you've given in to that "it'll void your warranty" BS. Grow some ***** and don't let a dealership play the intimidation game.If they can prove the CAI & tune caused the problem, THEN they can play that card. I can't stand hearing how many people lay down to that crap.

Last edited by Nuke; 01-01-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:31 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
You don't need to buy a revised tune to change tire size or gears. Those parameters are user adjustable. The 3 custom tunes are typical and for whichever octanes you request. I bought my CAI & tunes over 2 years ago with no further mods requiring new tunes (yet). Of the 3 tunes, I found the one I like the most (89) and that's what I keep loaded in the PCM.

If you do ANY aggressive driving, then adding the combo will definitely change the feel of the car. I highly doubt that you'd be dissappointed. Most likely you'll be mad at yourself for not doing it sooner.

Paying someone to do your oil changes is pure lunacy, IMO. Also, why do you think you need to reset anything when you go back to the dealer? Don't tell me that you've given in to that "it'll void your warranty" BS. Grow some ***** and don't let a dealership play the intimidation game.If they can prove the CAI & tune caused the problem, THEN they can play that card. I can't stand hearing how many people lay down to that crap.
LOL, well, my car is out of warranty now anyways. I just figured it was for something else seeing that theme all over but never really a reason why people flash back.

As for aggressive driving.. lets just say I didn't switch from a corolla to a mustang just for looks

Sounds like I'll be having a tuner on it's way in then.. just can't decide to wait a week or two or pull the trigger tomorrow. I really doubt there will be any major issues with the body shop that would leave me looking for a new mustang. Decisions, decisions.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:39 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Of the 3 tunes, I found the one I like the most (89) and that's what I keep loaded in the PCM.

Why do you like the 89 tune the best? Just curious because I don't really care for my 91 Tune very much.

Thanks.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

You should order it now, it will take some time to get to you. Why is your car in the body shop?
Old 01-01-2010, 08:47 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch Red GT
You should order it now, it will take some time to get to you. Why is your car in the body shop?
I wrecked it lol. Slipped on something on the road, possibly black ice. I'm getting withdraws, so I'm just thinking of all the happy things I can do to my mustang when I get it back. I'll place the order tomorrow then. Can't wait to plug the tune in
Old 01-01-2010, 10:48 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Say that I switch mustangs 5 years down the road, would Brenspeed be able to write a tune with this same tuner? I read something earlier about tuners being locked, unlocked and VIN locked but it did not go into detail.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

you can re use tuners, i am using the same sct device that i used on my 08 v6. all you need is a new tune
Old 01-01-2010, 11:18 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FastDEW
Why do you like the 89 tune the best? Just curious because I don't really care for my 91 Tune very much.

Thanks.
Not to jack the OP's thread, but I like my 89 tune over the 93 due to it suiting my driving style. My 93 tune pulls better in the upper RPM range which would be fine if I raced. My 89 tune pulls harder in the low and mid ranges. I also like my 87 tune since it still kicks azz over the stock tune but I feel the 89 tune is a bit more responsive than the 87.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:40 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Not to jack the OP's thread, but I like my 89 tune over the 93 due to it suiting my driving style. My 93 tune pulls better in the upper RPM range which would be fine if I raced. My 89 tune pulls harder in the low and mid ranges. I also like my 87 tune since it still kicks azz over the stock tune but I feel the 89 tune is a bit more responsive than the 87.
It's all cool, the more info I can suck from ya'll, the better
Will keep that info in mind.

Quick Reply: Brenspeed tune w/BBK CAI