Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Second time since Brenspeed tune the car doesn't want to start when cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 10:16 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
When I found an air leak, I got an odd idle also. I could feel the shake and hear the rattle.. I would still talk to brenspeed though and see what they have to say.
Hmmm, I never cleaned the MAF, just the TB. I'll try that and recheck for leaks.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:23 AM
javina80
2nd Gear Member

Were you at an incline? I have a similar issue with a Bamachips tune. Only does it when it is cold and on an incline though. Happened to me four or five times now. Starts up fine, but then idles rough below 600rpm, then it just loads up and cuts out... Reminds me of my old carbureted fox Capri. Then after startin it up again, I gotta throttle it to clear it out and then you see the black gas cloud....
Old 01-03-2010, 10:29 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by javina80
Were you at an incline? I have a similar issue with a Bamachips tune. Only does it when it is cold and on an incline though. Happened to me four or five times now. Starts up fine, but then idles rough below 600rpm, then it just loads up and cuts out... Reminds me of my old carbureted fox Capri. Then after startin it up again, I gotta throttle it to clear it out and then you see the black gas cloud....
That is exactly what happened the first tiem and i was on an incline. Last night it mad eno cloud that I could see, it was after midnight though and it was on a slight incline.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:02 AM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-02-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:23 PM
AKRA
1st Gear Member

That happened to me once when loading a SCT file onto my pcm. It turns out I blew the fuse to the MAF. Check your fuses to the PCM and MAF.

Good luck,

Al
Old 01-03-2010, 08:17 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AKRA
That happened to me once when loading a SCT file onto my pcm. It turns out I blew the fuse to the MAF. Check your fuses to the PCM and MAF.

Good luck,

Al
Hmm, the first time I had the issue it took forever to get the tune to load onto the PCM. It kept telling me the car didn't match the one on file (i dont recall exactly how it was worded). i ended up having to turn the car off and wait a minute and the tune went on fine, that is for a few minutes before it started acting crazy and smoking. Is the fuse for the PCM and MAF in the normal fuse block or under the hood?
Old 01-04-2010, 06:45 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
Hmm, the first time I had the issue it took forever to get the tune to load onto the PCM. It kept telling me the car didn't match the one on file (i dont recall exactly how it was worded). i ended up having to turn the car off and wait a minute and the tune went on fine, that is for a few minutes before it started acting crazy and smoking. Is the fuse for the PCM and MAF in the normal fuse block or under the hood?
Wait, you turned on the engine or you left the key in the on position when you were loading the tune??
Old 01-04-2010, 03:35 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
Wait, you turned on the engine or you left the key in the on position when you were loading the tune??

No the first time i followed the prompts on the tuner, it just gave me an error on the tuner before it got to the part where it wrote to the PCM.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:35 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I'd say it's not an issue with the tune in that, if the car has proper fuel and is in good condition their tune wouldn't cause this issue, as many other people and myself have experienced (i've been in -35 degree weather with no issues) so something is off with your individual vehicle... I've had my CAI get loose and nearly stall, but not quite.. (this was in warm weather though) i had also checked for leaks and initially didn't find them.. felt around it and looked closer from the bottom and the bottom had come out just a bit, but i didn't feel the gap. .
or like they said MAF or a variety of other things could be causing this.. maybe your fuel pump isn't operating properly.. ever changed the fuel filter? if your car is mostly stock, with just a few mods, their standard tune should work great..
Old 01-05-2010, 09:12 AM
BRENSPEED
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ShaneM
so i went to a friends house to watch UFC tonight and its about 40 degrees outside. My car starts up fine, right away like always i start to pull out and it stalls and dies on me. I thought I just stalled it (5spd) and went to start it back up. the car turns over and over for about 45 seconds then fires up only to barely idle. It woudln't respond to the throttle just idles very roughly at about 500 rpm. I put the pedal on the floor and it roared back to life after nothing for a second or so and was fine after that for the few blocks to my house.

this is the second time that the car has done this to me since i put the CAi and breenspeed tune on it. any ideas? both times have been when the car was cold. It stays in the garage overnight so tonight is about the coldest it has been out in. the last time it was putting out lots of black smoke, it was dark tonight but i didn't se any smoke. It ran fine all day and had ran fine until it sat for several hours whiel i watched the fights. I had an error throwing a few months back for dirty TB that fixed after some TB cleaner, could the same black gunk from teh TB be deeper in the engine causing problems? Thanks for suggestions.
If you are still having the issue, give us a call. Ask for Dave, we will see what we can do.

Quick Reply: Second time since Brenspeed tune the car doesn't want to start when cold