Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Blew the motor - pics to come

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 06:34 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
Man I envy you guys who have the money to just fix it right away when you blow an engine. I'd have to save for two years before I could afford to buy a built motor.

I don't see why you would need GT500 fuel pumps with the Stage 3. Look @ brenspeed's site. It comes with the KB BAP.
I keep 10k in the savings account for emergency. Motor blows, heat pump dies, roof blows off, whatever. I'm not rich. My wife and I together made 70k last year. It takes a few years to accumulate, but it's a good habit to have. It was 13k until I bought the motorcycle in my sig, ha,ha.

It was 16k when I purchased the blower, bam! Back down to 10 just like that.

I don't trust the BAP. It has got to stress the hell out of the stock pump. The BAP might last forever and the stock pump dies.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:44 PM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
I don't trust the BAP. It has got to stress the hell out of the stock pump. The BAP might last forever and the stock pump dies.

I feel the same way. Over driving the stock pump can't be good I would think.

If I ever put on a s/c'er and the package came with a BAP (like the Brenspeed "throwback" paxton I've recently looked at) I'd have them substitute for a GT500 fuel pump and just pay the difference. I'd rather be safe (if not a little paranoid) than sorry.

Last edited by SirKnightTG; 01-11-2010 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:45 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rustic2169
As I said, I'm 27 years old and I know what is stupid and retarded. I also stated that I take responsibility for what I do, so I don't need people to try to act like my dad. I would be willing to bet 75% or more of mustang owners have gone over 100 on public roads at least once in their lifetime. But thanks for your concern.

And you are correct, pay to play.
I have never, ever, ever, gone over 100 on the street. I may have gone 120 in a hypothetical situation once, but no faster. There have been a few other people that blew motors at high speeds, so I try to keep it sane in the car. Plus I have 4.10 gears so i'm shifting to 5th after 125.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:20 PM
10GTSTANG
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vapour Trails
???
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I had my engine tuned, following my whipple install, the tuner and I learned that the injectors were at 100% duty cycle by 6000 rpm. The car was tuned in 70F weather.

So if I were to drive it WOT at 20F, the air would be more dense than when the car was tuned, yet the fuel system cannot add the necessary fuel to compensate.

The tuner told me directly, do not drive hard in cold weather until you address the lack of fuel past 6000 rpms. He even went so far as to recommend I set the rev limiter at 5500 rpm when the mercury dips.

It sounds like your fuel system was just good enough for warm weather, like mine, but was not up to the task of maintaining the right A/F when the air gets more dense.

Do you attribute this to not enough fuel pump or injectors too small?
Old 01-11-2010, 07:42 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-02-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:19 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Sorry to hear. these stories are killing me and not letting me go the sc route. I still want to. But the cost of the sc kit and more possible problems to come are giving me headaches when I think about them.

Good luck on the repair.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:09 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

FWIW noone knows the BAP was at fault here. It's speculatory. As is often the case when an engine blows it could have been x or y but you may never really know. I doubt the BAP is a problem if brenspeed sells it with those kits. But if you got the money to burn then why not get the upgraded pumps.

moose I agree 100% on having some savings. It would take me a long time to save up that much. If it ends up being me with the blown motor next time around I'm probably just going to get another stock one and try my luck again. Built engines are just ridiculously expensive.

Making 70K and being able to save up 10gs in 3 years or less? Hard to do that with a car payment and a house payment. If the car is paid off that helps a LOT. But most people just don't do it that way. They make the minimum payment and then take 5 years to get rid of the loan.

Last edited by Riptide; 01-11-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:36 PM
10GTSTANG
3rd Gear Member

Relativly speaking, I think the average price of a forged modular short block is pretty reasonable. I have a 428 CJ motor in my other car that I built as a forged stroker, 465, I have an easy 10 grand in it. I don't think I could get close to the same price for an equivelant short block for my old school stuff, but don't get me wrong, I would love to pay $1500.00 for a stroked forged 4.6 motor! Just an after market 427 FE block (minus internals) will cost you what a 4.6 short block will run you or most likely more. But I digress, I know I'm playing with hand grenades!
Old 01-12-2010, 05:02 AM
ytix
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 10GTSTANG
Do you attribute this to not enough fuel pump or injectors too small?
Yes, do you have the complete FRPP Whipple kit with the GT500 pump and 39#/hr injectors? Are you on the 'stock' FRPP tune?
Old 01-12-2010, 07:31 AM
10GTSTANG
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ytix
Yes, do you have the complete FRPP Whipple kit with the GT500 pump and 39#/hr injectors? Are you on the 'stock' FRPP tune?

I have the complete kit, injectors and pumps, I'm running a tune from Dyno tune performance in Chesapeake VA. I was askin you, wich one made you lean injectors or the pump? I have a slight bit of detonation in mine when it's really cold out, and I think mine is timing related because my tune is not lean and I have a wide band. I don't let it ping, it only does it at hard throttle when it's cold. I am going to get that fixed. I have to do some data logging.

Quick Reply: Blew the motor - pics to come