Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Less than 9,000 miles and tranny is gone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 01:47 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

+1 A manual tranny does not get affected by a tune. It's purely mechanical in this case. The autos are different.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:16 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bigblue95z
BUT, the problem that he is describing is a definite MECHANICAL issue, not computer related. If they do say no, you can always try another stealership.
Yes, I agree. Was just commenting why the dealer could say "No". Not that they will, just their reasoning behind it. The manual may not get any feedback from the CPU but then again most of us know more about our cars than the dealership techs do. We learn every detail of them while they only learn what needs to be done to get it back out the door. This would explain why on many problems you have to return 2, 3, or 4 times for the same problem. They don't always know what is going on. That's why when you have an issue it's always better to wait until it becomes a persistent problem as opposed to intermittent to avoid the "It didn't do it for us" problem. Like this tranny problem. I'll bet now they can find what wrong but if it had done it intermittently, they would have said it worked fine for them when they test drove it.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:29 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chronos
A tune is supposed to be able to adjust the shift points and so forth. Since the transmissions are so much electronically controlled now days, even a manual should have lots of feedback from the CPU. It is a legitimate reason for denying a claim. Even if you don't agree with it, if Ford says NO, you are out of luck.
there is no computer control of our manual transmission! WTH?
Old 01-14-2010, 03:22 PM
Dblex
2nd Gear Member

Got an update today...

they pulled the pan and found nothing but metal parts and a spring or two! So something definately gave...

Ford initially wanted them to do a cost comparison, but now they are just going to pull the tranny and replace it. Too many parts in the pan to trouble shoot this one, they are just going to replace it now.

I asked if they are going to do the clutch while they are there, and they did mention that they would look at that when they pull it.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:27 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dblex
Got an update today...

they pulled the pan and found nothing but metal parts and a spring or two! So something definately gave...

Ford initially wanted them to do a cost comparison, but now they are just going to pull the tranny and replace it. Too many parts in the pan to trouble shoot this one, they are just going to replace it now.

I asked if they are going to do the clutch while they are there, and they did mention that they would look at that when they pull it.
??? Manuals dont have pans-only a casing with a drain plug.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Dblex
2nd Gear Member

Well, thats the verbage he gave me over the phone... LOL

sorry

And, as of 5min ago, the new tranny is on the way...2days out!
Old 01-14-2010, 09:11 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Gotta love stealership techs and there explainations. Glad you're getting it replaced as those "dealership techs" aint the brightest when it comes to tranny repair, as I found out a few years ago. the had o order and reorder the parts to fix mine three times because they kept forcing the wrong part numbers in, and they were braking on them sitting on the bench.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:37 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

Congratulations, its nice to see ford stands by their product. My buddy was not so lucky with his 2005 Nissan 350Z. It had less then 20,000 miles when it would not want to go to 2nd gear, 5th gear and reverse was a hit or miss. After back and forth w/ the stealership, they finally “rebuilt” his tranny. Lets just say, why did they bother. The only thing funny about this (prior to his tran issue) is how much crap he gave me when he found out I was getting a “found on the road dead” car. O, the irony.

I would like to mention that there is a problem with my car that I did leave out. When a friend of mine went to install my 4:10‘s, he noticed my “spider” gears where “Chipping” inside my posi. My friend actually pulled out small pieces of metal out of my dif fluid, however, my Eaton unit just came out in
Old 01-15-2010, 12:24 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Gotta love stealership techs and there explainations. Glad you're getting it replaced as those "dealership techs" aint the brightest when it comes to tranny repair, as I found out a few years ago. the had o order and reorder the parts to fix mine three times because they kept forcing the wrong part numbers in, and they were braking on them sitting on the bench.
Now you guys understand what I was getting at earlier?
Old 01-15-2010, 12:38 PM
jasezero
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by johnnyv8
Congratulations, its nice to see ford stands by their product. My buddy was not so lucky with his 2005 Nissan 350Z. It had less then 20,000 miles when it would not want to go to 2nd gear, 5th gear and reverse was a hit or miss. After back and forth w/ the stealership, they finally “rebuilt” his tranny. Lets just say, why did they bother. The only thing funny about this (prior to his tran issue) is how much crap he gave me when he found out I was getting a “found on the road dead” car. O, the irony.

I would like to mention that there is a problem with my car that I did leave out. When a friend of mine went to install my 4:10‘s, he noticed my “spider” gears where “Chipping” inside my posi. My friend actually pulled out small pieces of metal out of my dif fluid, however, my Eaton unit just came out in
There's no reason they shouldn't have stood by their product...9000 miles is nothing on trans, especially if it wasn't beaten on. Plus they should be able to tell from the wear (or lack of wear from only 9k miles) on the clutch itself that it was a defective transmission.

It's not that Ford doesn't stand behind the product, its the shop and dealership that doesn't want to push the warranty claim and deal with the resulting paperwork. They much rather make the money directly from you. Either way, your friend did get the trans replaced under warranty.

Quick Reply: Less than 9,000 miles and tranny is gone?