Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cold outside - car bogs down?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 07:53 AM
justin07vert
1st Gear Member

Default Cold outside - car bogs down?

So this morning it was quite a bit a bit colder outside than normal. I noticed that until the car warmed up it would bog down when shifting gears or not moving forward. Almost felt like the brakes were slightly engaged. Anyone else ever seen this or know what the cause is?
Old 01-11-2010, 08:02 AM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

granted i don't have a GT but i have noticed that my car wait till it has reached normal operating temp before it will shift into 5th even if i am cruising at 60mph. Cold air however generally make cars run better. cold air is more dense than warm air so the engine will take in more air. kind of like how an intercooler works. also i think that when you first start your car it uses a default air fuel setting until it is warmed up. maybe someone else can verify that
Old 01-11-2010, 08:14 AM
brunobluto
2nd Gear Member

Are you sure your parking brake was'nt stuck and dragging because of the cold? It is a common problem with our cars, mine included.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:22 AM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by brunobluto
Are you sure your parking brake was'nt stuck and dragging because of the cold? It is a common problem with our cars, mine included.
good idea. check that, but i think that only applies to 05-06 models http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/gala...sb06_05_04.pdf
Old 01-11-2010, 10:41 AM
justin07vert
1st Gear Member

yeah I thought the parking brake as well...but I pulled up a little bit and the car started yelling saying the brake was on, so I release it and seemed not make a difference. Once the car was nice and warm, didn't have the bogging down issue anymore. I wonder if brake fluid/pressure is affected by cold temperatures?
Old 01-11-2010, 02:22 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

Let it warm up for 5 minutes and see if that helps. Start it and go back in the house. Lots more comfortable for the heating too.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:22 PM
mmarsh3014
1st Gear Member

Seems like a common problem to me. It's been dropping below 20 degrees around here at night within the last few weeks, so I've been starting mine and let idle for about 10 minutes before getting in to drive and it seems to not be a problem anymore. But I noticed when at work, and my shift lets out, its a race to the gates so we don't get stuck in traffic for 15 min in my parking lot, it bogs and reacts really unpleasantly when I just fire up and throw in gear to go. I'll agree with w1ldcat and just say to let it idle for a bit before going anywhere
Old 01-11-2010, 05:35 PM
MoneyShot
2nd Gear Member

yeah well its kind of pointless to say "its been cold here" pretty much if you live in North America (cept the efing west coast) then its been in the 20s to teen or colder.
GLOBAL WARMING WHERE ARE YOU NOW?!?
Old 01-12-2010, 07:34 AM
justin07vert
1st Gear Member

This morning was not quite as cold (still in the low 30's). Let the car warm up for 5-10 minutes and had no issues with the bogging down. I guess it just needs to be more part of my morning to let the car warm up.

Oh it will be nice to get a true 2 car garage soon!!
Old 01-13-2010, 12:04 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

Are you leaving your E brake on? I just leave my car in gear because the brake does not come off %100 in real cold weather. I have to wait for it to warm up for the E brake to come off %100.

If you have the time, let your car warm up for 5 min like some1 said below.

Quick Reply: Cold outside - car bogs down?