Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Different TPMS Sensors for 2010 Mustangs..

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 09:43 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by 10GTSTANG
Strangely enough, I put on new wheels with out TPMS sensors, and have no alarms, go figure!
Give it time, it will.
The SJB does not constantly check the TPMS sensors.
And the SJB allows for a few errors before throwing
the TPMS light or message.
Unless you have your old rims in the garage
and the S197 is reading them when you start
her up before going out...
Kinda like the PVC trunk thing but in reverse.
The SJB is just biding its time before unleashing it wrath...
A sort or comfortable lull before the storm.
Some comfort food will fix ya right up.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:26 AM
Twstones
2nd Gear Member

I have a 2009 v-6. Bought 2010 GT new take off's from Newtakeoff.com. Love the tires and rims but the monitor won't work. This is the way the dealer explained it to me. One type works on monitoring tire pressure (don't remember which) and the other works on tire revolution. If a tire is low on pressure it's diameter is less so thus turns more revolutions. Two completely different set ups. The light don't bother me, but it's a pain to push the info reset button every time I start the car. I'll just live with it until I need to change tires and hope by then I can do something different.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:56 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by Twstones
I have a 2009 v-6. Bought 2010 GT new take off's from Newtakeoff.com. Love the tires and rims but the monitor won't work. This is the way the dealer explained it to me. One type works on monitoring tire pressure (don't remember which) and the other works on tire revolution. If a tire is low on pressure it's diameter is less so thus turns more revolutions. Two completely different set ups. The light don't bother me, but it's a pain to push the info reset button every time I start the car. I'll just live with it until I need to change tires and hope by then I can do something different.
This guy is lying to ya.
Wheel revolutions. Yea right.
They all work off pressure. Period.
The diameter does not change that much from 28PSI to lets say 25PSI
thats deemed underinflated.
How would that wheel revolution system work with non ABS equipped
stangs while the tires were being burned out or going round turns pulling
a G or better? Stink bout it. It would just not work reliably.
You can take that to the bank.
The difference is 8 bit and 16 bit ID codes transmitted on 420MHz
to the SJB.
05-09 8 bit word ID codes
10-up 18 bit word ID codes
They ran out of bits so they went to different architecture.

What happened to your old rims and the band mounted TPMS sensors
that were in them? They could have been installed on the 2010 rims...
Old 08-10-2010, 04:38 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

mine on my 2010 gt were valve stem type , they were rubber , looked like reg. valve stem, change wheels out twice, they are there, but when i got low , 20 #'s one time on OEM wheels i realized they weren't working, and no flashing light on dash. the reason not working, i rotate my tires and everytime rotate have to re-train, then worked, but i found never get light if untrained, i think the will only come on is if system damaged, when swapped out wheels same thing even w/ new sensors, had to have trained, never got a light. until tire goes low you will not know from my experience. but even new sensors were metal inside but plain looking outside.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:38 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by 10GTSTANG
Strangely enough, I put on new wheels with out TPMS sensors, and have no alarms, go figure!
Give it time Grasshopper..
Give it time.
BTW, where are your rims WITH the sensors?
In the garage where you park your stang or
miles away?

Go figure....
Old 08-10-2010, 10:33 AM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157dB
Give it time, it will.
The SJB does not constantly check the TPMS sensors.
And the SJB allows for a few errors before throwing
the TPMS light or message.
Unless you have your old rims in the garage
and the S197 is reading them when you start
her up before going out...
Kinda like the PVC trunk thing but in reverse.
The SJB is just biding its time before unleashing it wrath...
A sort or comfortable lull before the storm.
Some comfort food will fix ya right up.
This doesnt make much sense. When I changed out the rims on my 2010 the car was parked in the garage with the old rims right next to it, after I started the car I had no light but after getting about 20ft down the street the light came on. Also upon return the light went out as soon as I got near the garage again.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:07 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

all i know is i have never seen a light, purposely let 20 #'s out never got a low tire , took to just tires trained sensors for me 10 mins down road, low tire indicated, so as far as i'm concerned i never knew working or not until letting air out and got nothing. since my ride is new going to let 20#'s out that will leave 22#'s in tire, should set off, my buick let me know at 12#'s lower than what was in tire and see if get low tire, car comes with compressor so no worries looking for air when light comes on.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:21 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTJT2010
all i know is i have never seen a light, purposely let 20 #'s out never got a low tire , took to just tires trained sensors for me 10 mins down road, low tire indicated, so as far as i'm concerned i never knew working or not until letting air out and got nothing. since my ride is new going to let 20#'s out that will leave 22#'s in tire, should set off, my buick let me know at 12#'s lower than what was in tire and see if get low tire, car comes with compressor so no worries looking for air when light comes on.
Sorry, this is very hard to read; did you mean that even with 20psi (not pounds) you don't throw a low tire pressure light?
Then when you drive 10min, your car throws a low pressure light?

Not trying to knock you, I just had a really hard time understanding what you were saying (you sentences were seriously run-on).

As for the included tire air compressor, I hate that piece of s*** made-in-China thing. Mine already broke on me, and I was just using it to air up tires on my riding lawn mower!
Since I only had my car for less than a month now, I wonder if I can weasel a replacement tire compressor from the dealership?
Old 08-11-2010, 11:40 AM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

Hey it's cool sorry typing with one hand at times at night so I make mistakes, One I have my own air comppressor plus the ford one, 2nd after doing rotation twice in 10,000 miles I wonder if my TPMS worked, so let air out, only had 20 PSI nothing came on, found out when rotate they need re-trained, if you take to have re-trained, car sits for say an hour, they go to train, they won't, you have to drive about 10 mins to wake up the sensors, battery save feature, once they re-trained I filled air to proper PSI, drove home, 30 mins, let air out 20 PSI drove 10 mins, light came on, sorry that's how mine worked on a 2010 GT, have not tested my new 2011 V6, but I will this weekend.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:01 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

^ doesnt make any sense as the sensors dont know where on the car they are, so it doesnt matter if you rotate them or not. Not sure who told you they are re-trained by driving around for ten minutes but that is ridiculous. Also your story contradicts itself by you saying you got no light at 20 psi then filled it up to 30psi and drove it for 30mins then put pressure back to 20 psi and got a light. Sounds to me you just had faulty sensors.

Quick Reply: Different TPMS Sensors for 2010 Mustangs..