Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Proud new owner! 06 GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 07:31 PM
Evil Sandwich

Default Proud new owner! 06 GT

hey guys just registered here, just bought an 06 GT 3 days ago. Just got a few questions for you experts. I've never owned a mustang before

First when I bought it, it had no spoiler, just the black screws/plugs. I kinda like it without the spoiler and was just going to get some plugs & paint them, a few of my friends say I need a spoiler so I'm just wondering some suggestions? I hate wings and absolutely hate anything that looks like a shopping cart handle.. I cant really find any pictures online of different spoilers tho.. basically just wanted to see some of ur cars with different spoilers.

Second, I'm not sure but I think the car has been lowered.. it just looks lowered and the previous owner did a few mods, also when I go over potholes or any small bumps I hear almost a "clank" sound coming from the suspension like it was just cut instead of putting a lowering kid on it.

then some random questions.. when I turn off the car, I hear the engine winding down almost like its a turbo in there slowing down, I've never heard that sound before and wondering if it's normal. My previous vehicle was a 04 F150 (5.4l V8 Triton) and I've never heard anything like this before in the truck.

It's also got the shaker1000 stereo and I was told it has iPod hookups, are they behind the deck or am I missing something?

As for rims, I'm debating powder coating/painting them a darker color, maybe just a little darker, maybe pitch black.. I'm just not sure what it would look like. If anyone is a photoshop wiz that can just darken them up a bit so I can see I'd really appreciate it, or if anyone has already powder coated/painted the same rims & has a torch red car I'd like to see some pics

Finally wondering what you guys think for exhaust systems, I was just gonna go get some nice flowmasters but I heard they lost their patent (maybe I'm thinking of magnaflow?) so basically there are all of these other companies making exact copies of flowmasters but half the cost. I'm debating catback or axleback as well, just looking for a nice beefy sound, but also if anyone knows what kind of HP/MPG difference you get?
Same with air intake, just not positive if it's worth it, anyone know what kind of HP & MPG a standard K&N cold air system would give me?

Sorry if it's too much to read 0_0 here's my car:

thanks

Last edited by Evil Sandwich; 01-13-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:45 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Welcome and congrats!!

It does appear to be lowered.

I know in the '06 shaker 500, there is no aux input plug. I am not as familiar with the shaker 1000, but the plug is usually located in the center console/arm rest area.

There is nothing wrong with going wingless. I prefer a spoiler myself, but there are plenty out there that don't have it. Sounds like the p/o removed the spoiler and just plugged it in. You could always look into ducktails, like on the GT500.

I do recall the engine winds down after you shut it off, but I've been without my pony for a good month and a half now.

Do you have an aftermarket CAI installed?
Old 01-13-2010, 08:06 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Here you go. I only did 1 wheel, and did it pretty fast, just to give you an idea. It's not perfect lol. The black does look good. I'll just host it for a few days. If you want to keep a copy, just save it.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:53 PM
notsofast
2nd Gear Member

Yes, the car definitely appears to have been lowered - nothing wrong with that. It would be nice to know what springs were used. From my experience and from reading multiple other posts, you likely will notice some degree of additional NVH, but handling and appearance improvement are worth it for most of us. If you still have the stock shocks/struts, this could be an area for improvement that will help handling and improve ride quality.

Your headlights, grill, and fogs are also modded, btw.

An inexpensive way to fix your spoiler problem is to get a GT 500 style spoiler from the Spoiler Store on E-bay. They come already painted and for around $82 (when I got mine). They will fit the stock spoiler holes. I have one and I'm very pleased with it.

If you want to know what various wheel options look like on the Mustang, you might want to check out the web site for American Muscle. Just "click" on any wheel for the 2005-2009 Mustang and there are owner-submitted photos - usually 5-10 - for any given style of wheel. You'll get a lot of folks recommending black, chrome, whatever - there are quite a few nice options. Look for yourself and see what you like.

Regarding exhaust options, once again, you'll find a lot of good info on this site - you just have to take a little time to look for it. There are some threads that contain numerous YouTube links of various exhaust options and combinations. These help some but its better to hear it in real life if you can.

On your question regarding a CAI, I think you'll here that many of us think the CAI with a performance tune is one of the best bang-for-the-buck performance mods.

Enjoy!
Old 01-13-2010, 10:26 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Evil Sandwich
hey guys just registered here, just bought an 06 GT 3 days ago. Just got a few questions for you experts. I've never owned a mustang before

First when I bought it, it had no spoiler, just the black screws/plugs. I kinda like it without the spoiler and was just going to get some plugs & paint them, a few of my friends say I need a spoiler so I'm just wondering some suggestions? I hate wings and absolutely hate anything that looks like a shopping cart handle.. I cant really find any pictures online of different spoilers tho.. basically just wanted to see some of ur cars with different spoilers. Lot's of spoilers to choose from and links have already been provided. Just don't "rice" it...

Second, I'm not sure but I think the car has been lowered.. it just looks lowered and the previous owner did a few mods, also when I go over potholes or any small bumps I hear almost a "clank" sound coming from the suspension like it was just cut instead of putting a lowering kid on it. Looks lowered. Sweet...

then some random questions.. when I turn off the car, I hear the engine winding down almost like its a turbo in there slowing down, I've never heard that sound before and wondering if it's normal. My previous vehicle was a 04 F150 (5.4l V8 Triton) and I've never heard anything like this before in the truck. I don't think this is a concern as I think that if I listen hard enough I can hear that, too. Unfortunately, my GT is in storage for the winter.

It's also got the shaker1000 stereo and I was told it has iPod hookups, are they behind the deck or am I missing something? The aux jack was added in '07. The '05 and '06s suffer from aux jack envy.

As for rims, I'm debating powder coating/painting them a darker color, maybe just a little darker, maybe pitch black.. I'm just not sure what it would look like. If anyone is a photoshop wiz that can just darken them up a bit so I can see I'd really appreciate it, or if anyone has already powder coated/painted the same rims & has a torch red car I'd like to see some pics Sorry but I don't like all dark wheels. Looks too "ghetto" for me. But that's just my 2 cents.

Finally wondering what you guys think for exhaust systems, I was just gonna go get some nice flowmasters but I heard they lost their patent (maybe I'm thinking of magnaflow?) so basically there are all of these other companies making exact copies of flowmasters but half the cost. I'm debating catback or axleback as well, just looking for a nice beefy sound, but also if anyone knows what kind of HP/MPG difference you get?
Same with air intake, just not positive if it's worth it, anyone know what kind of HP & MPG a standard K&N cold air system would give me? The stickies have a lot of great info on exhaust info and there are endless setups. Read thru that and it should help. Also, the stock exhasut flows very well. You won't pick up any RWHP with axlebacks or catbacks. Even straight thru's won't gain you much if anything but more noise and might lose some low end torque.

Sorry if it's too much to read 0_0 here's my car:

thanks
My comments in red.

Absolutely w/o a doubt, research CAI & tune combos. That's your biggest bang-for-the-buck in RWHP short of going FI.

Nice projector headlights, tinted front turn signal lens and antenna delete, too.

Last edited by Nuke; 01-13-2010 at 10:30 PM.