Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Arrggh... car didnt want to start again

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 04:13 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Default Arrggh... car didnt want to start again

So i posted a while back that after letting my 05 gt sit for a while it didn;t want to start at first. i had the exact same thing happen again today and it wasn;t even that cold. Parked the car to watch teh cowboys get beat down, went out and it started right up as usual. Started to pull away and it died. Spun for about 15 seconds when i tried to start it again, belches white smoke, smells bad and just runs like crap and barely idles. I floor it it spits, and gurgles, finalyl reves and blows huge white smoke cloud and runs like a top afterwords.

Last time this happened soem suggested bad gas, dirty MAF, leaking CAI, or clogged fule filter. I bought gas at a different station since then, just ahd teh fule fiulter changed and its not that cold out here, maybe 50 today, CAI is tight as a drum. Soemone said something about the hydraulic something or other for the cams when its cold. I am getting really irritated at this problem. Any other suggestions or ideas?

It's almost liek at start up the car is dropping so much fuel into the cylinders that it floods out. I did not stall the car, it just died.

EDIT-= forgot to add i cleaned the MAF shortly after this happened, no dirt came off of it. Sometimes when I am coming to a stop with teh clutch in or the car in neutral it will idel strangly, will drop to 500 go back to 1000, then steady out at normal 650. Not sure if its releated, just wanted to add that in. could bad plugs cause this? I've got half a can of seafoam in the tank now (which is almost gone) and half a can in the oil.

Last edited by ShaneM; 01-17-2010 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:14 PM
KoolerSL2
1st Gear Member

does the car have a CAI or Tune?
tried cleaning the TB yet?
sounds like its not seeing enough air coming in.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:58 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KoolerSL2
does the car have a CAI or Tune?
tried cleaning the TB yet?
sounds like its not seeing enough air coming in.
C&L Racer CAI and brenspeed tune. doesn't do this everytime, not sure what to think at this point.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:05 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'm still thinking fuel. Seafoam won't get rid of water in the tank. I'd run the tank low, add some water remover (Heet) and then tank up with fuel from a proven station.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:32 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I'm still thinking fuel. Seafoam won't get rid of water in the tank. I'd run the tank low, add some water remover (Heet) and then tank up with fuel from a proven station.
This is a different tank of gas from a different station than the last time this happened. Still think fuel?
Old 01-17-2010, 08:12 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

Dump some Heet into the tank, as suggested by Nuke. Water is heavier than gasoline, and some may be laying in the bottom of the tank.
If that doesn't help, then the TPS may be bad.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:31 AM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

My car started perfectly fine after sitting overnight in the driveway at -14 degrees F.

50 degree weather is not the problem.

Clean the TB and MAF and I think that will solve your problems, otherwise it sounds like a fuel problem like everyone else said...
Old 01-18-2010, 04:15 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sailing220
My car started perfectly fine after sitting overnight in the driveway at -14 degrees F.

50 degree weather is not the problem.

Clean the TB and MAF and I think that will solve your problems, otherwise it sounds like a fuel problem like everyone else said...
I'll try the heet. Cleaned everything else.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:34 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ShaneM
This is a different tank of gas from a different station than the last time this happened. Still think fuel?
I got an entire tank of bad 100 octane about a year ago. My car would drive "okay" but as soon as I gave it any fuel, it would start to miss and sputtered. Different symptoms than yours, but it took four full tanks of fuel to get rid of the problem. With the first tank, I actually drained to where the pumps where havbing a hrd time picking up anymore fuel.

So I don't know if I had bad fuel (which is what I beleive) or there was water in the fuel.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:25 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
I got an entire tank of bad 100 octane about a year ago. My car would drive "okay" but as soon as I gave it any fuel, it would start to miss and sputtered. Different symptoms than yours, but it took four full tanks of fuel to get rid of the problem. With the first tank, I actually drained to where the pumps where havbing a hrd time picking up anymore fuel.

So I don't know if I had bad fuel (which is what I beleive) or there was water in the fuel.

teh car runs fine any other time though, which is the odd thing. Accelerates fine, normally starts fine. The two times it has happened have been when it was parked in front of my friends house at a slight incline with teh rear higher than the front by a few degrees. Wonder if it could be that any water in the tank just happens to be right by the pickup at that angle. I usualyl refill at 50 miles to go or so so i guess some of the fuel from the first bunch could still be there even though its been at least 3 tanks since the first time this happened. However, I would figure with my brenspeed 91 tune installed if the gas was bad the car would ping. I moved to the 87 tune to see if the problem happens again on a different tune.

Quick Reply: Arrggh... car didnt want to start again