Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Non aspirated upgrades after CAI

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 11:22 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Default Non aspirated upgrades after CAI

I always wanted a supercharger in my 08 GT but after seeing a few of the threads on here it sounds like a nightmare and it punked me. I have decided not to for the moment but will keep the option open. There are a couple of upgrades I want to do and I want some opinions on them from folks who got them (I looked back 5 pages and found nothing on these parts.)

I have a Steeda CAI, Steeda UDP's, and FRPP 4.10's. I want to add the C&L manifolds, BBK 62mm throttle body, and a full exhaust. Anyone have the C&L manifold that could shed some light? I have heard good and bad things about the throttle bodies, someone told me you get nothing out of it and that the stock TB is just as good as aftermarket. I have Brola axle backs but want a full exhaust (headers, X or H pipe, ect...) what is a good one to go with and will I have to change the axle back? And what do delete plates do for you?
Old 01-18-2010, 12:20 AM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

I hear zabtek TB are good.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Torch Red GT
3rd Gear Member

you should go with kooks long tubes and you can decide between an x pipe and h. There was a dyno test with a bunch of longtubes and kooks ranked highest. You can keep your axle back, axlebacks are usually for sound only anyway. The only throttle body i heard anything good about were the frpp ones. from what ive read about delete plates is that you lose some mid/low range power and gain ~10rwhp up top.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2008GT/CSBuckeye
I always wanted a supercharger in my 08 GT but after seeing a few of the threads on here it sounds like a nightmare and it punked me. I have decided not to for the moment but will keep the option open. There are a couple of upgrades I want to do and I want some opinions on them from folks who got them (I looked back 5 pages and found nothing on these parts.)

I have a Steeda CAI, Steeda UDP's, and FRPP 4.10's. I want to add the C&L manifolds, BBK 62mm throttle body, and a full exhaust. Anyone have the C&L manifold that could shed some light? I have heard good and bad things about the throttle bodies, someone told me you get nothing out of it and that the stock TB is just as good as aftermarket. I have Brola axle backs but want a full exhaust (headers, X or H pipe, ect...) what is a good one to go with and will I have to change the axle back? And what do delete plates do for you?
ANY aftermarket TB on a non-aspirated S197 will yield NO performance gains and are known headaches.

No matter what axleback or catback, you'll only gain sound; NO RWHP. If you can lose the cats, then LT's with an O/R X or H will tack a few more RWHP. No need to replace your Borla's. Cams will add a little more but cams and LT's really shine if your FI.

There are some articles about delete plates but the scuttlebutt is that you may gain a few RWHP in the upper RPM band but could lose some torque down low. IMO, not very worthwhile but those that have them are ok with them.

Other considerations would be aluminum DS and some other weight saving mods plus some suspension work with wider, stickier tires to put down that power.

I can't speak for the C&L intake but my guess is that it's more worthwhile if you're FI, like the aftermarket TB.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:30 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

I'm with you 08gt. I really want a saleen or e force to add to my 06 gt, but the possible blown engine scares me. I wish i could find a reliable and affordable way to add forged rods, pistons, and rings. But I was scared off when I heard the swap charges. I can afford to add the sc, but I don't think I could handle the headache and torture of a blown engine on my baby. I want more out of her. but I just have the basic jlt, bresnpeed tune, o/r h, and stingers.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:10 PM
breathegood
2nd Gear Member

Just FYI, a non-aspirated motor is going to make exactly 0 hp.

Cams, headers, and aluminum DS are going to be your best bet if you aren't going to go F/I. Everything else is just wasting $$$ unless you intend to go big.

If you aren't going to rule out F/I, don't bother with a cam until you decide for sure. A N/A cam is likely to leave you disappointed when you go to F/I and a blower cam is likely to leave you wanting more if you never make it to F/I.

Asking for opinions on certain parts is a pretty vague question. You would be better suited to start with a HP goal and ask what parts will effectively get you there. Do you want a 300 hp daily driver, 400 hp N/A stroker, 450-500hp tire roaster, or 500+ hp track star? Do you want stump pulling torque at 2500 or an impressive dyno # at 6000?

Last edited by breathegood; 01-18-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Formula
2nd Gear Member

Just so you guys know, N/A is naturally/normally aspirated.

non-aspirated would be an electric motor.

Last edited by Formula; 01-20-2010 at 05:35 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:11 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Non-aspirated, lol.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:40 PM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

I thought N/A was Naturally? Guess its the same thing
Old 01-18-2010, 08:49 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-02-2011 at 01:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Non aspirated upgrades after CAI