Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

auto vs manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 02:13 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

I love the auto in the GT.

Nuff said.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:06 AM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by blazin454
yup... lifter tick, sorry about that.. the guy at the dealership said he would have it looked at a little closer and see what we are up against.. the car has low low miles and is in beauty shape other than that and the price is $11,000 cheapest ive found so far with exception to one for $9000.

is the lifteR tick pretty common with these? someone mentioned it being a cheap fix, any info is appreciated, thanks.
I'd have to say.. $11k for a GT(05?) is pretty good price. It all depends on the specs of the car though. Is this a basic, premium? What else is included?
Old 01-24-2010, 01:09 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

It really depends on what you plans are. There is no right or wrong choice. For me I have a vipertruck with a six speed manual so I was looking specifically for an auto. I wanted an auto cause my reason for purchasing was to drag race it. Autos are so much more consistant when it comes to bracket racing and running your dial in time.

I do plan to add the tci shifter so I can shift my auto with confidence though. Also as a bonus, when your stuck in traffic, the auto is so much nicer.

Either one you get, you will have a blast with a gt stang.

patrick
Old 01-24-2010, 01:18 PM
96-4.6
1st Gear Member

808muscle i agree 100%.
Old 01-24-2010, 02:47 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
It really depends on what you plans are. There is no right or wrong choice. For me I have a vipertruck with a six speed manual so I was looking specifically for an auto. I wanted an auto cause my reason for purchasing was to drag race it. Autos are so much more consistant when it comes to bracket racing and running your dial in time.

I do plan to add the tci shifter so I can shift my auto with confidence though. Also as a bonus, when your stuck in traffic, the auto is so much nicer.

Either one you get, you will have a blast with a gt stang.

patrick
Ditto.. a guy in my class asked me if I had plans on converting it to a manual after I built the motor and got a supercharger. I said "no, why would I do that? I got an auto because I wanted an auto. He looked stumped in why I did lol.

A high stall converter, lightweight driveshaft, CAMs, 4.10s, CAI/tune, LCAs, DRs and the auto is a forced to be reckoned with. Heck, even with just 4.10s CAI/tune and it's still pretty stout for 290ish whp.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:02 PM
jobeonnet
2nd Gear Member

The suns finally out and im now regretting having an auto because i want to DRIVE, this is its 5th trip 15 days and two separate dealerships to fix a small leak. changed converter, changed seals, changed case, changed seals, this time it has been in since Tuesday and i have about as much of a clue as to whats wrong as they do apparently.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:08 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

^^ haha, I get those lazy days where an auto fits right in. Drive at a decent (still above speed limit) cruise speed and just take it easy.

Sometimes I mildly regret not getting a manual just for the fun factor, but it's my DD so I'm cool with an auto.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:30 PM
bingo2
1st Gear Member

For me it's all about the sensory input you get from having a manual transmission. The click putting it in gear and changing gears, the clutch release, gear whine and the vibration through the shifter stalk, I love all of it.
Old 01-24-2010, 04:41 PM
MasterMike

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
I love the auto in the GT.

Nuff said.

X2...Especially tuned by Bama...
Old 01-24-2010, 05:15 PM
blazin454

ya its a tough call.. the mustang for $11,000 is full load, leather, rims (stock but nice) its a nice looking car... blue with the white racing striped down the middle and the white stripe down the bottom on the side and says "GT"

Quick Reply: auto vs manual