Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Im really in shock..

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:33 AM
Conn337
1st Gear Member

Default Im really in shock..

So last night i was hanging with some buddies and i turned my car off and kept the key in the on position, i just had my radar detector and the radio on. So my stereo popped up and said "low battery". Then i shut my key to the off position, and my luck the car wouldnt even crank. So my friend came and boosted me off... then this morning (lucky that i turned my car around in my garage) i tried to crank it again.. it wouldnt even tick like it did last night. Driving home last night my battery on my dashboard showed the battery as half way on my gauges. I dont know, is it the alternator? or just a bad battery? I have a battery charger on it right now, and having to drive the ol LTZ tahoe around haha...

I miss my car
Old 01-26-2010, 09:55 AM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

It sounds like your alternator is the problem. Driving home should have charged the battery up enough to start right up today. Before buying a new battery I would take it to a commerical parts store that does battery tests. Your battery is only 2 years or so old and should last 5 years. The alternator is most likely the culprit, Depending on your mileage the alternator should still be under factory warranty
Old 01-26-2010, 09:59 AM
Conn337
1st Gear Member

when i drove it home last night, i shut off the car. Then restarted it, and it started up with no hesitation. I think i may have accidently left the key in the on igniton last night =\. I dont remember.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:03 AM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

Check your terminals....clean them if you have any doubts about the connection. Then, I'd do as previously suggested and take it to have the battery checked.

Andretti
Old 01-26-2010, 10:56 PM
Conn337
1st Gear Member

after using the battery charger on it for 4 hours.. it now seems to run like a dream again. Hopefully that wont jinx it and it wont run in the morning when i leave for school =\.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:08 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Batteries often fail catastrophically without warning. Assuming your alternator is ok, it sounds like you lost 1 or 2 cells and charging overnight is just a bandaid. If you still have the garbage OE Motorcrap battery, get a new one.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:33 AM
Conn337
1st Gear Member

Yeah i realized that... it sounded like it just completely deraided itself when it went dead.. I usually always sit with my radar detector on and my stereo on, with no lights on. My radar detector usually detects when my car is is turned off and shuts off the detector. But everything just went out. I noticed before i left my house when i revved it a little higher the interior lights would get brighter, i guess that was my sign.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:38 PM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Conn337
So last night i was hanging with some buddies and i turned my car off and kept the key in the on position, i just had my radar detector and the radio on. So my stereo popped up and said "low battery". Then i shut my key to the off position, and my luck the car wouldnt even crank. So my friend came and boosted me off... then this morning (lucky that i turned my car around in my garage) i tried to crank it again.. it wouldnt even tick like it did last night. Driving home last night my battery on my dashboard showed the battery as half way on my gauges. I dont know, is it the alternator? or just a bad battery? I have a battery charger on it right now, and having to drive the ol LTZ tahoe around haha...

I miss my car
just throw in the clutch, put it in 2nd and push it to about 5mph and then pop the clutch and she will start. Batteries are a strange lot. I had one in my 03 and it lasted 6 years and the one in my 06 lasted 2 years.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Sirsilent
2nd Gear Member

My battery also died after 2 years and my battery gauge showed full just one day before. That gauge seems to be useless.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:38 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sirsilent
My battery also died after 2 years and my battery gauge showed full just one day before. That gauge seems to be useless.
Agreed. I have yet to find a battery gauge in any car that works worth a sh#t.

Like Nuke said, once a battery looses a cell.......its only a matter of time. Carry some cables so you dont get stuck in the future.

patrick

Quick Reply: Im really in shock..