Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Oh God... tell me how bad this is...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 03:12 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

at least you are in good hands
here (yourself). you have troubleshot
this in a very neat, logical and orderly
fashion.

the only recurring theme i see is the
wetness in the #2 cylinder which you
were pretty certain is oil. the only
question remaining seems to be, why
is oil geting on the #2 spark plug, when
no oil is getting on the other 7.

i'm interested to know how this all turns
out.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:24 PM
mstngsule68
4th Gear Member

well you could still have good compression with oil entering the cylinder, because it will just help seal it.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:35 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

yep i agree.

seems like rings, head gasket or
pcv oil vapor are the only things
left to consider.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:45 PM
kentompkins
1st Gear Member

So if it were head gasket then I'd be looking for oil leaking on the outside of the engine and/or antifreeze/water in the oil when I do an oil change this weekend, right?

On the pcv oil vapor side of things - I do have an interesting setup now (although it's exactly what ProCharger had me do when I installed the P1-SC). The driver's side PCV is now capped off and sealed tight. The inlet to the manifold that used to be connected to the driver's side PCV is now connected to the blow-off valve on the ProCharger air pipes before the intercooler. The passenger's side PCV now has a venting line coming off of it that goes to the CAI for the ProCharger (and will have a Moroso catch can once BMC Performance gets me my back ordered item).

I have noticed quite a bit of moisture underneath the oil cap on the filler neck but that is likely just a function of it being super rainy here in Charlotte for the past few weeks.

If I find fluid in the oil - that would actually be refreshing at this point because at least I would know, ya know. I can replace a head gasket.... Rings.... not so much.

Stay tuned. O2's and Fuel filter tomorrow (or tonight) - one at a time to help solve the mystery.

Then I suppose I could also just disconnect the exaust from the H-Pipe Back in order to see if it's the cats - assuming I could actually hear the miss with a straight exhaust running.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:25 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

another possibility i suppose, is a valve
stem seal. this might allow tiny amounts
of oil to be drawn into the chamber.

i'm no mechanic so maybe someone else
can say if this is likely or unlikely.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:00 PM
RoushGT
1st Gear Member

Just began reading your thread and thought I might chime in. I have basically the same setup with the P1SC, injectors, etc., but have the 'canned' tune from Procharger. My catalytic converters are destroyed. How do I know? Parts of them are coming out of my tailpipe in little pieces. In fact, a large enough chunk fell out that it could be heard rattling inside my exhaust while the car was idling. I think it finally made it out through the tailpipes since I dont have mufflers. Car sounds like crap now, too. I will be installing long tubes and offroad x in the near future, along with some type of mufflers.

I know this doesnt explain the cylinder with oil in it, but your suspicion of the odd sounding exhuast pulses may be due to the cats being damaged.

Or this may be the most useless post in this thread, lol.

Just thought you might be interested... good luck!
Old 02-05-2010, 11:53 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I don't think your going to find anything physically wrong with your car.

Some data logging and tuning I predict would cure the issue.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:06 AM
kentompkins
1st Gear Member

You may be right that I will find nothing wrong with the car but it was the tuner (Dan at Pro-dyno - a very well respected tuner) who pointed out the slight whackiness of this car compared to all the others he has done. It's been on the dyno for a total of nine hours over two days and he put the rwhp exactly where I was comfortable putting it (463 rwhp).

So... sometimes there's just a ghost in the machine.

I predict the mis will come down to a $9 Purolator fuel filter. The oil on the plug won't matter when I get a built block amd heads.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:00 PM
kentompkins
1st Gear Member

It wasn't the fuel filter. Switched out the Purolator for the Motorscraft. I thought for a minute that it was better but as it "warmed" up - the miss came back.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:28 PM
RoushGT
1st Gear Member

Do you have access to a scan tool? I would hook that thing up and check your coils, a good scanner will continuously monitor all of them simulataneously. I have just run into too many COP probs to rule them out yet.

Quick Reply: Oh God... tell me how bad this is...