Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Irregular idle on Deceleration

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hammeron
you are welcome and we're all happy to help get this sorted out. i think
simon1 is on the right track with thinking about dashpot function. i've started
looking at the service manual for clues and also my advantage III help files, which
explain quite well how idle is managed. i just have to let it sink in for awhile
before i can make heads or tails of it.
I hope it is correct. Only someone with a data log or better yet a tune in hand for the car could really change it around. I am surprised Brenspeed is not wanting more datalogs and trying seperate tunes just to see.

Is the OP close enough to have a good tuner go voer his car on a dyno?

I know for a fact that there are times when Ford will send regular vehicles out to get custom tuned. Not for performance, but for drivability, fuel trims mileage, etc.

Adam Montague (owner/operator of ST Motorsports in San Bernardino) told me he was over at the Ford delaershi ona regular basis disgnosing and fixing drivability issues.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:31 PM
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Simon1
I hope it is correct. Only someone with a data log or better yet a tune in hand for the car could really change it around. I am surprised Brenspeed is not wanting more datalogs and trying seperate tunes just to see.

Is the OP close enough to have a good tuner go voer his car on a dyno?

I know for a fact that there are times when Ford will send regular vehicles out to get custom tuned. Not for performance, but for drivability, fuel trims mileage, etc.

Adam Montague (owner/operator of ST Motorsports in San Bernardino) told me he was over at the Ford delaershi ona regular basis disgnosing and fixing drivability issues.

Brenspeeds attitude towards it now is "we do hundreds of these tunes every year and we see no reason why yours would be any different". and that was after I purchased another tuner from them. Their main custom tune guy Dave was fired or quit a few months ago and he was the main person helping me with it. After he left the little interest that was in my car went away.

I have had the car looked at by a shop with a tuner and a dyno but they looked over the fuel trims, o2s and how the cylinders were firing and said they looked fine. After that it didnt get looked into much more than that and I was in the process of moving so now if I want a shop to look at it I would have to find another one in my new area.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by simplexdesign
Brenspeeds attitude towards it now is "we do hundreds of these tunes every year and we see no reason why yours would be any different". and that was after I purchased another tuner from them.

What did they think you were lying or something?
This is weird because Brenspeed is known for being good at
customer service.

Another thing... it should not make a difference how many tunes they do a year.
Every car is different and can react different ways to a tune.
They know this.

I really DOUBT that they have never heard of a idle issue.
In fact I KNOW they have heard of it because when I had their tune
I called them myself and asked about it.
PLUS if they did not have any idle issues they would not have a video
up on their site on cleaning the TB and it saying that was their
number one issue for idle problems.

Am I saying the problem is the tune? No.
But I am saying that it very well could be and that.
Brenspeed has a great customer service rep and I'm sorry you got with a guy
that was fired. But if I were you I would get back on the phone with them.
They seem to always be willing to help.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 12-05-2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:21 AM
MyLocalDJ
2nd Gear Member

Just be aware that Brenspeed is just one of many tuners out there. I have run a number of tunes from different tuners at this point, including Brenspeed - ALL have had the same issue. It seems our Stangs just have an inherent love to search for that perfect idle as it hunts, overshoots, and eventually decides on a spot.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:07 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Brenspeeds attitude towards it now is "we do hundreds of these tunes every year and we see no reason why yours would be any different". and that was after I purchased another tuner from them. Their main custom tune guy Dave was fired or quit a few months ago and he was the main person helping me with it. After he left the little interest that was in my car went away.

I have had the car looked at by a shop with a tuner and a dyno but they looked over the fuel trims, o2s and how the cylinders were firing and said they looked fine. After that it didnt get looked into much more than that and I was in the process of moving so now if I want a shop to look at it I would have to find another one in my new area.
WHat should have happened is the shop should have road tested the car, not a on a dyno, and did the exact tsame thing that you are doing to cause the irregular idle. A data log, plus the tuner actually experiencing whatis going on is your surest way to fix it.

As far as Brenspeed's answer to the "we do hundreds of tunes and they are fine" is ridiculous and lazy at best. I would guess that for the most part thier tune are good enough to work properly almost all the time. But they should know that there is always that one car that causes some starnge issue and needs something tweaked.

Do you have an A/F gauge? If so what does it do when you let off the throttle and coast in gear?

Describe again what happens.

Have you pulled a vacuum line and blown into it to see if you hear a leak somewhere?

Crawled under the car and looked around?
Old 12-06-2010, 08:42 PM
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
What did they think you were lying or something?
This is weird because Brenspeed is known for being good at
customer service.

I really DOUBT that they have never heard of a idle issue.
In fact I KNOW they have heard of it because when I had their tune
I called them myself and asked about it.
PLUS if they did not have any idle issues they would not have a video
up on their site on cleaning the TB and it saying that was their
number one issue for idle problems.

Am I saying the problem is the tune? No.
But I am saying that it very well could be and that.
Brenspeed has a great customer service rep and I'm sorry you got with a guy
that was fired. But if I were you I would get back on the phone with them.
They seem to always be willing to help.

I don't think they think I was lying but more that they weren't too interested in finding a problem because they believed/believe their tune/intake wasn't at fault and it may prove one day that it isn't but like you said it could be.

I have dealt with another guy there his name is Chandler and he is about as useful as pointing me to the url on how to clean your TB on their site and thats about it.

Originally Posted by Simon1
WHat should have happened is the shop should have road tested the car, not a on a dyno, and did the exact tsame thing that you are doing to cause the irregular idle. A data log, plus the tuner actually experiencing whatis going on is your surest way to fix it.

As far as Brenspeed's answer to the "we do hundreds of tunes and they are fine" is ridiculous and lazy at best. I would guess that for the most part thier tune are good enough to work properly almost all the time. But they should know that there is always that one car that causes some starnge issue and needs something tweaked.

Do you have an A/F gauge? If so what does it do when you let off the throttle and coast in gear?

Describe again what happens.

Have you pulled a vacuum line and blown into it to see if you hear a leak somewhere?

Crawled under the car and looked around?

They did do a road test at ford with it and at my old performance shop but of course on those days I couldn't get it to reproduce the problem(seems like it could be worse on colder days).

I agree every car is different and for the most part Dave was nice enough to go over my fuel trims over the phone but thats as far as he really looked into it.... And that was after I bought headers and a pro chamber from them.

All vacuum lines are good on it and underneath the car is spotless. The car is really not a daily driver as it JUST hit 30k this week.

Last edited by simplexdesign; 12-06-2010 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:15 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

I'd take it to a shop and get it custom tuned.
That way you can just get a whole read on what is going on and be done
with it.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:58 PM
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
I'd take it to a shop and get it custom tuned.
That way you can just get a whole read on what is going on and be done
with it.

Yeah I am going to ask around the forum for some good shops in my new area
Old 12-07-2010, 11:58 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Yeah I am going to ask around the forum for some good shops in my new area
Tony at Tuners Inc. He is in Florida. Great tuner.

Used by magazines, tunes all types of car, mostly Fords. Does lots of Ford GTs and will be honest with his customer.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:30 PM
simplexdesign
4th Gear Member

He is a little far from me here in Tampa but I know there are a few around here I just have to get some shop names and make a few calls.

Quick Reply: Irregular idle on Deceleration