Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

09 GT no limited slip?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 01:17 PM
DragonPL
3rd Gear Member

Default 09 GT no limited slip?!?!

I had to drive in the snow in the DC area, and when backing up in the snow some one watching told me only one wheel was accelerating and pushing the car, does that mean I don't have power to both wheels?!?!?!?!?
Old 01-30-2010, 01:22 PM
2010V6Stang
BEWARE! Possible Scammer

Fail lol

Last edited by 2010V6Stang; 02-07-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:50 PM
steppetoes

Originally Posted by 2010V6Stang
No, I dont think. The car only gives power to one wheel even when two are spinning, the posi locks the other wheel and makes it spin but all the power is still going to one wheel. So maybe the other wheel was stuck and couldnt spin or something.
This explanation makes no sense whatsoever.

OP, your car does have LSD, meaning that power is going to both wheels (actually just as with an open diff, except when one wheel loses traction in an open diff, all the power goes to the other wheel, hence one wheel burnouts), but since it is not a true locker, the power is not necessarily getting distributed equally when you lose traction. Also, some LSD's are more effective than others.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:59 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

No, I dont think. The car only gives power to one wheel even when two are spinning, the posi locks the other wheel and makes it spin but all the power is still going to one wheel. So maybe the other wheel was stuck and couldnt spin or something.
This explanation makes no sense whatsoever.

It takes some amount of traction on both wheels to activate the clutch packs and lock up the carrier.
Ice/snow sometimes does not supply enough of the needed traction to
activate the clutch packs.
OEM LSDs lock up like the dickens on dry pavement though.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:15 AM
jz
3rd Gear Member

Just wanted to reiterate. This explanation makes no sense whatsoever. Completely ignore this explanation. I'm hesitant to even call it an explanation as much as a bunch of random words that were supposed to formulate a sensible sentence but stopped short. Way short.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:56 AM
steppetoes

Originally Posted by jz
Just wanted to reiterate. This explanation makes no sense whatsoever. Completely ignore this explanation. I'm hesitant to even call it an explanation as much as a bunch of random words that were supposed to formulate a sensible sentence but stopped short. Way short.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:40 PM
oldlugs
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
...It takes some amount of traction on both wheels to activate the clutch packs and lock up the carrier.
Ice/snow sometimes does not supply enough of the needed traction to
activate the clutch packs.
OEM LSDs lock up like the dickens on dry pavement though.
That's it exactly. On ice there's not even enough grip to make the clutch pack lock up. You're actually better off that way though... If both were spinning all the time on ice, you'd have a wrecked Mustang and some ugly dude giving you mouth-to-mouth...
Old 02-07-2010, 09:55 PM
10GTSTANG
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by oldlugs
If both were spinning all the time on ice, you'd have a wrecked Mustang and some ugly dude giving you mouth-to-mouth...

Frick it, I'm driving my Jeep the rest of the winter!
Old 02-08-2010, 02:20 PM
olds350

not sure if these are the same, but I had a '06 explorer w/ a LSD. Worked great going forward, but as stated in the first post, it acted like an open dif when in reverse. Made no sense to me, but I was told that's how the new clutch pack worked. Limited forward, open in reverse.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:28 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by oldlugs
That's it exactly. On ice there's not even enough grip to make the clutch pack lock up. You're actually better off that way though... If both were spinning all the time on ice, you'd have a wrecked Mustang and some ugly dude giving you mouth-to-mouth...

Very true..............and the end part, funny as hell!!! LOL

Now with 2 plus feet of snow in DC what the hell are you thinking driving your hotrod on those roads? Dude!!!!!

patrick

Quick Reply: 09 GT no limited slip?!?!