Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Bolt ons

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 02:55 PM
Txbatman22

Default Bolt ons

I have a 07 gt and looking at some bolts for a few more horses...I was looking at going to a bigger TB. Has anyone tried the mono blade throttle body vs. the 62mm twin blade TB? Also which is easier and better bang for the buck as far as headers go...short or long???
Old 01-31-2010, 04:04 PM
hardcore302
2nd Gear Member

if you dont have a blower, dont bother with the tb.

i would get under drive pullies, cai with tune, gears, and exhaust.
Old 01-31-2010, 04:14 PM
Misbehavin
2nd Gear Member

Don't waste your time with the throttle body. Most aftermarket ones end up giving you more trouble than their worth. There's also nothing really to be gained, as the factory throttle body will give you all the air you need with what you have. Why not look at a CAI and tune? You probably want the tuner anyway, depending upon your header choice.

As far as headers go, long tubes will give you more of a gain than shorties will. However, you will not be able to use the factory mid pipe. So factor that into your budget. Swapping the headers can be an exercise in patience, so keep that in mind as well. Especially if you don't have much background in working on your car. Also, there can be emissions concerns, depending upon your header choice.

I don't know your full goals, but my suggestion would be to start with the CAI and tune, then do a little research before going further.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:27 PM
Black_Steed

Do not get a TB!! The best bang for buck would be a intake and tune. You can get this form many places i suggest brenspeed or bama chips
Old 01-31-2010, 09:06 PM
BFMacias
2nd Gear Member

Take a long hard thought about what power goals you want before you answer question. Do you wanna supercharge or stay N/A? I think your answer should be based on this.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:11 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I suggest you research through the forum before you pull mods out of thin air. Certain things work on our S197's and others don't. The TB is on of the later unless you're FI. Spend your money on mods that pay off.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:33 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

CAI
Custom Tuning
4.10 gears

those 3 things will run you about $1,000-1,200.

the CAI + Tuning will gain you about 15-20 HP...and the gears will give you another simulated 10+ HP gain.

make the car a whole other beast. the 4.10 gears aren't suited for FI though...as previously said, you really need to decide a flow path, and then go that way. otherwise you'll be throwing money around and backtracking mods
Old 01-31-2010, 10:34 PM
brunobluto
2nd Gear Member

gears dont really add any power, however they do mulitiply the power your car already makes. Probably the best mod you can do besides cai/tuner. I would go 3.73 for auto and 4.10 manual if you plan on running 17 or 18 inch wheel/tire combo. 4.10 for auto and 4.30 for manual if you are planning on running 20" wheels/tires.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Txbatman22

I apprecaite all the advice. I bought a K&N CAI which will be here tomorrow. I have noticed many tuners on the market. Is there one particular one that seems to work better for the Mustangs than another?
Old 02-04-2010, 07:54 PM
ejanderson05gt
2nd Gear Member

Many people here speak highly of Brenspeed's tunes, but I can't offer any personal experience. There are two main brands for a handheld tuner: SCT and Diablosport. Certain tuning companies use one or the other, some use both. A few other tuners include VMP tuning, Brooksspeed, Tillman, and Bamachips. Doug at Bamachips is going through some stuff right now, as many members here can attest to, so he may not be your best bet. Just browse through the forums, this issue's been beaten to death.

Eric

Quick Reply: Bolt ons