Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Decision..New '11 or keep '08***long***

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 06:02 PM
MachineHead155

I'd say keep the '08. For the same amount you could easily make a build that would outcorner and outrun the 2011 by a huge margin.

One thing I learned about power is that if you decide to stay N/A, you obviously want the car with the bigger stock numbers. But the moment you start adding F/I, those N/A numbers don't mean jack on either side of the spectrum. Then it's about how much power/boost your car can handle without your motor (or something else) going kaboom.

Besides, how long do you really think you're going to be able to resist the urge to mod that 2011? Yeah. More money out the window.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:53 PM
PremiumSilver
2nd Gear Member

The same thought has already gone through my head with my 06 and the 2011. I'm currently trying to make the tough decision of which supercharger I will be strapping on my 06.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:24 AM
Menace
5th Gear Member

The way I see it. I haven't had the luxary of paying my car off as soon as I purchased it... though I am finishing up the rest of my loan here this month. I've invested way too much money with payments to take such an incredible loss by selling it. My car, to me... needs a lot of work though.

Fact is, soon it'll be paid for and mine. No more payments, so that extra money goes into the bank for bigger and better things. I like the styling of the pre-2010 because of the rear end. I think our interiors are better as well, but need an upgrade in quality parts.

My idea is to wait until Ford releases a fully dressed 5.0 for release, like they do with our current 3 valve motor. Since it is a production engine and mass produced, I expect it to be around $6-9k range fully dressed. My motor has nearly 40,000 miles so I think I could get atleast 2k for it by selling it. That should cover any modifications I need to make the new 5.0 work. Wiring harness, mounts, this, that and everything else.

Then a GT 500 front fascia, suspension modifications, maybe some new seat skins, etc... More of an investment, but again it should be different and still have the power to back it up.
Old 02-08-2010, 04:26 AM
MachineHead155

Originally Posted by Menace
The way I see it. I haven't had the luxary of paying my car off as soon as I purchased it... though I am finishing up the rest of my loan here this month. I've invested way too much money with payments to take such an incredible loss by selling it. My car, to me... needs a lot of work though.

Fact is, soon it'll be paid for and mine. No more payments, so that extra money goes into the bank for bigger and better things. I like the styling of the pre-2010 because of the rear end. I think our interiors are better as well, but need an upgrade in quality parts.

My idea is to wait until Ford releases a fully dressed 5.0 for release, like they do with our current 3 valve motor. Since it is a production engine and mass produced, I expect it to be around $6-9k range fully dressed. My motor has nearly 40,000 miles so I think I could get atleast 2k for it by selling it. That should cover any modifications I need to make the new 5.0 work. Wiring harness, mounts, this, that and everything else.

Then a GT 500 front fascia, suspension modifications, maybe some new seat skins, etc... More of an investment, but again it should be different and still have the power to back it up.
Huh? Why not just strap a blower on your current motor and be done with it? Even if you go with the relatively moderate 466HP blower from Edelbrock, you're still going to end up with a lot more power than that 5.0 in the end. Or you could go with a Whipple which has one of the safest tunes in the industry. I have yet to see anyone complain about a blown motor with a Whipple as long as you stay within their recommendations.

Just my .02.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:14 PM
sadface
2nd Gear Member

i was talking to a dealer the other day and i asked how much he would give me (same dealer i bought it from) car has 7200 miles on it and he told me 20k and then it would be marked up for 28 (he told me this). Bought the car in cash so i will just keep it as my daily driver and save up for a used gt500. thing i like about the 11 is the 6spd wish i had it but gah the comp of the motor i really don't like not very interested in the 11
Old 02-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Mustangmaster
3rd Gear Member

Since the 08 is paid for, keep it and buy a new 2011 too! There is no rule that says you have to get rid of one car to get another one. I'd love to have a 2011 to go along with my 2008.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:06 PM
olds350

Originally Posted by vaporGT08
....My wife is not for the trade up because she thinks the 2010-2011 rear is "out of place".

This may sound crazy asking this to a car forum, but I think we understand each other better because we are all Mustang fans, so.........

Should I keep the 08 or take the plunge for a 2011? I know I am not the only one with this question so maybe this post will help others
exactly.... I cannot get past the rear end of this car. I've seen them at the dealer, on the road and in the mags. It just doesn't work for me. I also don't like that they soften up the fenders by removing the crease over the wheel well. That made the 05-09 so distinctive. They've softened up the new '10+ cars and it just doesn't have the WOW factor the first cars had. I'm with most everyone else, keep the '08.

The 412HP is enticing, but I'm more into handling than brute power. I was looking at the '11 model myself, but think I'll stay w/ my '07.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:15 PM
hockeyman8282
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by vaporGT08

Should I get rid of this car and get an '11 5.0? From looking at resale value, the '08 is worth about 20-22k on trade and should retail for 23-24k. A new 2011 with the same option packages and a few extras will run 36k-37k (5K higher then my 08) on sticker and I can get X-plan for 34k.
your in for a rude awakening
Old 02-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

He'll get that much on trade.

If he pays MSRP plus markup on a new '11.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:09 PM
triple_E_Farm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Riptide
He'll get that much on trade.

If he pays MSRP plus markup on a new '11.
I agree.

I was talking to a ford tech at my dealership the other day and he said the new 5.0 was basically the cammer 5.0 they have been racing for years. I am not saying that is true I am just repeating what I was told.