Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Ford Racing 2.3 Whipple with new STEEDA 10 rib pully system

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Mach1Marauder
1st Gear Member

Default Ford Racing 2.3 Whipple with new STEEDA 10 rib pully system

While at the track teaching a lady BULLITT owner how to drag race, I met another BULLITT owner with a Whipple and discussed his problems he was having. He had some traction problems and was eating belts on a regular basis.
He came into the shop the next week and we went over his options and I threw his car on the dyno to check his tune for him.

We chose to limit his first rounds of mods to a Two-Step for more consistent launches and lower control arms with relocation brackets and an adjustable third link to set the
pinion angle properly.

I helped him a bit at the Ford VS GM shootout we held at Speed WOrld, I had my hands full with the twin turbo 05 also. His first launch of the day was sweet as hell and almost pulled the wheels off the ground with a 1.61 60ft on M/T Drs. He had fun, but was just shy of getting his 11.xx that he wanted. He just needed a bit more seat time.

Well last week he got his 11, sorry I don't remember exactly what it was, but his times steadily went up the whole day. WHen he looked under the hood, he could see another belt going by the wayside.

He called me and bit the BULLITT:wink: and had me order the Steeda 10 rib belt kit. It's not cheap at all, but sure as hell solves the problem with belts!.......AND it looks TOTALLY *****IN!!!!
Some info from Steeda and then I'll post some installed pics.

Pics!

CLOSE UP OF THE PIGGYBACK PULLY AND NEW SFI DEGREED DAMPER

VIEW FROM ABOVE OF THE PRIMARY AND SECONDARY BELTS

FINISHED INSTALL! I THINK IT LOOKS KILLER!!!!!!!

Old 02-05-2010, 11:22 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Moved to the 4.6L section.....great belt drive...I will be buying one soon!

Last edited by mygt500; 02-05-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:09 AM
10GTSTANG
3rd Gear Member

I'll agree, it looks biachin too! so many mods too buy!
Old 02-06-2010, 03:43 AM
07 GT E UPP
3rd Gear Member

Yep....Love mine....!!!!!
Old 02-06-2010, 05:20 AM
loots06
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder
While at the track teaching a lady BULLITT owner how to drag race, I met another BULLITT owner with a Whipple and discussed his problems he was having. He had some traction problems and was eating belts on a regular basis.
He came into the shop the next week and we went over his options and I threw his car on the dyno to check his tune for him.

We chose to limit his first rounds of mods to a Two-Step for more consistent launches and lower control arms with relocation brackets and an adjustable third link to set the
pinion angle properly.

I helped him a bit at the Ford VS GM shootout we held at Speed WOrld, I had my hands full with the twin turbo 05 also. His first launch of the day was sweet as hell and almost pulled the wheels off the ground with a 1.61 60ft on M/T Drs. He had fun, but was just shy of getting his 11.xx that he wanted. He just needed a bit more seat time.

Well last week he got his 11, sorry I don't remember exactly what it was, but his times steadily went up the whole day. WHen he looked under the hood, he could see another belt going by the wayside.

He called me and bit the BULLITT:wink: and had me order the Steeda 10 rib belt kit. It's not cheap at all, but sure as hell solves the problem with belts!.......AND it looks TOTALLY *****IN!!!!
Some info from Steeda and then I'll post some installed pics.

Pics!

CLOSE UP OF THE PIGGYBACK PULLY AND NEW SFI DEGREED DAMPER

VIEW FROM ABOVE OF THE PRIMARY AND SECONDARY BELTS

FINISHED INSTALL! I THINK IT LOOKS KILLER!!!!!!!

What strut brace tower is that? GT500 takeoff??
Old 02-06-2010, 10:18 AM
10GTSTANG
3rd Gear Member

With that set up, do you go back to the factory belt and pully setup on the motor? Will the factory tensioner still work with the tab ground off?
Old 02-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 10GTSTANG
With that set up, do you go back to the factory belt and pully setup on the motor? Will the factory tensioner still work with the tab ground off?
Yes and yes, but in my case I'll be using my thump-rrr tensioner in place of the factory tensioner due to the fact that my factory tensioner is bent to hell, lol. I plan to get the steeda belt drive after I retrieve my stolen money from Uncle Sam.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:01 AM
Mach1Marauder
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
I plan to get the steeda belt drive after I retrieve my stolen money from Uncle Sam.
LMAO!
Old 02-07-2010, 05:14 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

How do you get a 1.6 60 foot and not run 11's? Did he miss a shift?

I've never lost a belt, still stock tensioner.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:33 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
How do you get a 1.6 60 foot and not run 11's? Did he miss a shift?

I've never lost a belt, still stock tensioner.
Exactly what I was thinking, 1.6x is easily good for 11s.

I never lost a belt either with the stock tensioner and have dished out plenty of abuse. What size pulley was he running?

Quick Reply: Ford Racing 2.3 Whipple with new STEEDA 10 rib pully system