Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Reason No. 95 Why I Don't Go to the Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by liberty911
I've tried the Zone, the Boys, NAPA, two local auto stores, 2 ford dealers and the VW dealer in my area. No one has the 33 spline tool for sale or rent. I did purchase one on-line for $29 so I'll take the tool and my alt to the Zone and they'll spin it off. I'm all for new tools, but this is likely a one time use deal since the 33 spline nut is replaced. It may come in handy when a new alt is needed however.

BTW, place the PS pulley in boiling water for about 10 minutes prior to installation. It will push on like butter. I spent a little over an hour trying to install mine until I just pulled it all apart again and used the boiling trick.
The pulley was already on the pump. It just needed to go in a little bit to be aligned with the rest of the pullies. Since the SC install, there was some extra prsssure placed on it causing it to growl a little bit at idle and when warm.

Rented the tool for nothing and it's quiet now.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:56 PM
chronos
3rd Gear Member

I agree that everyone has to make a living and no one should have their lively hood taken from them, but some things are so small you feel like a crook charging for them. I know I give my clients a few freebies here and there cause I don't want to feel cheap or have them feel like I'm a rip off. If someone just spent $1,000 for my services, I'm not gonna charge then $20 for something small. This is what leads to the problems of people hating dealers.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:06 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

the guys at the dealership are dicks. They'll make you pay for every last thing, not only that but they'll do a "road test" and drive it all to hell and might even bust a hole in your block and cover it up with bondo then use a felt tip permanent marker to cover it up.. I've hear many horror stories like that.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:33 AM
rm9792
1st Gear Member

I went back and chatted up the mechanic when they installed my blower. Had some issues so spent quite a bit of time with him. Paid off though cause now I just drive straight to the shop and he checks stuff for free now. Advisors are way up front so they cant see anything. Took him to "lunch" one day and he conveniently brought his laptop and ran some diagnostics for me to try and fix a high rpm stumble on the way to Burger King. Diagnostic checkups for $4.99!
Old 02-09-2010, 11:48 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by chronos
I agree that everyone has to make a living and no one should have their lively hood taken from them, but some things are so small you feel like a crook charging for them. I know I give my clients a few freebies here and there cause I don't want to feel cheap or have them feel like I'm a rip off. If someone just spent $1,000 for my services, I'm not gonna charge then $20 for something small. This is what leads to the problems of people hating dealers.
The OP probably is a do it yourselfer and had never laid down a penny in that dealership before.
They saw this and gouged him for 'helping' him with his do it yourself project.
If they screwed up the item somehow doing anything to it like pulling a pulley,
who do you think the customer is going to blame and who do you think has to pay for it, the stealership.
They made a good call by highballing the price for his project help.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:27 PM
liberty911
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 157db
The OP probably is a do it yourselfer and had never laid down a penny in that dealership before.
Actually, I purchased my F150 from them new, and many parts over the years. My name is on their system and they had pulled it up on that day.

The day I went in to inquire about removal of the alternator nut, I had purchased over $200 in OEM parts. I had just paid the parts counter guy when I asked about the alternator nut. So no, I spent good money that day and in the past well into the tens of thousands.

I run my own business and I would never have quoted $50 for something that literally would take no more than 5 minutes, including set up, or even charged for such an act. I was expecting to pay, but believed somewhere around $25 would be more than fair and reasonable.

As an aside, I had to go back to the dealer today to purchase more OEM parts and make a special order. Guess which dealership I did not go to?
Old 02-09-2010, 12:31 PM
alkemist
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
... not only that but they'll do a "road test" and drive it all to hell and might even bust a hole in your block and cover it up with bondo then use a felt tip permanent marker to cover it up.. I've hear many horror stories like that.
I'm sure whomever at the body shop took a very nice joy ride in my mustang. It came back with pocket change and a CD in my center console. I'm not exactlly thrilled about that. When I mentioned someone left a CD and change in my car, no one said a peep.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:02 PM
bluovalguy
4th Gear Member

Thats crap! I dont care if the dealer is assuming some type of risk. They should be competent enough to do something this simple or they should not be employed. And they should not need $50 to do it.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:37 PM
BruceH
5th Gear Member

Last edited by BruceH; 01-02-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:23 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alkemist
I'm sure whomever at the body shop took a very nice joy ride in my mustang. It came back with pocket change and a CD in my center console. I'm not exactlly thrilled about that. When I mentioned someone left a CD and change in my car, no one said a peep.
lol the heck?.. at least there wasn't any taco bell wrappers in the back or anything.

Quick Reply: Reason No. 95 Why I Don't Go to the Dealer