Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Which headers are more recommended?

Old 02-19-2010, 11:24 PM
shiznit2001
1st Gear Member

Default Which headers are more recommended?

so I'm about to get the whole CAI/Tune package and everything along with my steeda throttle body spacer (already on the way, even though most people say it's a waste of time and money....i like the way it looks and have heard good things about so figured it won't hurt ;-) ) and am looking for shorty headers...i have a 2008 GT Standard and the only other mod i have is axleback slp loudmouths. Would headers alone even be worth the time and money at this point? or should i just wait to get a full exhaust? Any input on this would help. Thanks in advance
Old 02-20-2010, 05:50 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Any 403 SS tuned length 1 5/8 header will work....I like ARH and Kooks...
Old 02-20-2010, 06:59 AM
GerRod
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
Any 403 SS tuned length 1 5/8 header will work....I like ARH and Kooks...
You mean 304SS. ARH and Kooks are 304SS.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:41 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by GerRod
You mean 304SS. ARH and Kooks are 304SS.
Exactly what I meant...thanks...the 409 SS is not as durable and prone to surface rust correct?
Old 02-20-2010, 02:00 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

I would go Kooks or go home.

I have Bassani LT headers on my car and that was the worst decision yet I have made yet. The distance the O2s are from the car are at the bleeding edge of what the computer can handle even after tuning for it.

I'm slowly debugging a minor spark blowout annoyance. And one of the possible causes are those damn headers if the O2s aren't responding right.

Kooks headers don't move the O2s far away from their stock position and they are very tune friendly.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:04 PM
shiznit2001
1st Gear Member

Default headers

Thanks a lot, i'll definitly look into them and i've read up and heard that longtube headers are more difficult to install and require other parts along with it. while on the other hand, if i were to get shorty's they'd slap right on to everything that i've got now. does that sound about right?
Old 02-20-2010, 06:08 PM
shanec
4th Gear Member

I am not sure if shorties work with the stock midpipe or not. Anybody that sells them should know that.

No matter what way you go, I think you should get midpipe with high flow cats. It will add volume and aggressiveness to your exhaust sound.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:53 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by shiznit2001
Thanks a lot, i'll definitly look into them and i've read up and heard that longtube headers are more difficult to install and require other parts along with it. while on the other hand, if i were to get shorty's they'd slap right on to everything that i've got now. does that sound about right?
Shorties install in place of the factory exhaust manifolds. Nothing more to buy. I got JBA shorties and can definitely tell a difference... I have more low-end torque and they sound great with the stock catted mid-pipe and "stinger" axle-backs.

You may want to upgrade your motor mounts at the same time you install your headers. I did. The motor mounts have to be removed to install the headers anyway and will prevent you having clearance issues with the steering shaft in the future.

Shorties and motor mounts are probably my favorite mod after the CAI/tune.

HTH

BTW, don't put on the TB spacer... People will only laugh at you. Spacers were effective on carbs and old-style FI where the fuel is introduced at the throttle-body. The spacer added more area for the fuel and air to mix before going to the combustion chamber. But since we have port fuel injection, there is no need for a spacer.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:03 PM
08SGT
1st Gear Member

+1 ^^ i would do motor mounts at the same time as well

i had shorties and they hook right up to stock mid pipe

i took mine off and are up for sale right now . . . . *got kooks long tubes to replace them*
Old 02-20-2010, 09:35 PM
shiznit2001
1st Gear Member

Default TB spacer/Headers

Well, i definitly appreciate the info about the spacer...now that i know i wasted 94$ on a steeda spacer...lol i guess i should have started this thread before i bought it. ;-) If i were to put it on just for "looks", it shouldn't hurt anything though right? and 08SGT, how much are you wanting for them? and what's the condition? :-)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which headers are more recommended?