Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Short Throw: The Guts vs The Full Monty

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Xibar
1st Gear Member

Default Short Throw: The Guts vs The Full Monty

Hey Dudes, trying to think of the best way to ask this...

Looking to upgrade to short-throw, as all I've read on here says that ANYTHING is better than the stock shifter, and I'm looking forward to finding that out for myself. The stock is definitely too long between gears, and it bugs me to have to reach slightly when I occasionally use 5th. It also bugs me that the stick could probably be shorter.

I've seen the FRPP/Roush short-throw that (I assume) changes out the "guts" of the tranny as well as the actual shift stick, making it stick up even higher than the stock.

I know I'm new at most of this, but it seems like you get better perforance at the sacrifice of looks. And that short-throw looks kind of ugly with just a basic metal with a round plastic white ball on top.

I know about the physics of a lever, and how less force is needed for a longer arm, equating to a greater moment, but is it really necessary to stick up so high to make up for the shorter shift down below?

I only ask this because I was looking at the Roush short throw that only consists of the "guts" (shifter body and arm, I believe) down below, and retains the stock shift stick. The stock stick LOOKS better to me, so if I could I'd like to go that route, or even find something SHORTER than that.

This one...

http://store.roushperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=1177

So if anyone is still with me after reading all that, can I go this route, or will the stick be more of a pain in the butt to quickly shift on demand? I really appreciate anyone's input on this, as I'd love a short throw without a shift **** sticking up 8 feet from the center column.

If anyone's ever driven a Miata, I really liked the shifter it had, it was very short throw and just overall very short. I know it's a totally different car, but is this possible?

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Xibar; 02-20-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:41 AM
RoushGT05
1st Gear Member

Ok with the 05's and up, the shifter is remote mounted being that it isnt like the 04's and below where all you had to do was pop the stock shifter off the top of the tranny in the car and pop the new one back in place.

I personally went with the Steeda Tri-Ax. I believe that the guts you are referring to is the stablizer that bolts to the tranny to keep everything inline since the shifter is farther back now that the previous models.

Hope that helps clarify it somewhat.

Let us know if you have anymore questions
Old 02-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Xibar
1st Gear Member

Somewhat clarified.

So if I just go with changing out the "body" of the shifter and retain the stock stick, will shifting be more difficult?

I'm hoping for pretty much the exact same shifting I get right now, just "shorter."
Old 02-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Xibar
1st Gear Member

I mean... what is the purpose of the extended shifter arm if it isn't really necessary?

I know there are people on here that have installed it, so... why?
Old 02-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Xcelsius
3rd Gear Member

A shorter throw shifter set up can require a little more force during shifts than stock assembly and the longer arm would lessen the force required with good old leverage. The throw is still shorter than stock even with the extended arm. You just have to decide if you mind the taller arm. I installed the Roush set up with the taller arm. At first I was concerned about accessing the lower controls, but I have had no noticeable issues.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

It seems I am the only one that likes the stock shifter... I used to have a jetta 2.0 5 speed and then an auto g35x (only comes in auto which is why i went from stick to auto). I do not like the roush shifter... the shifts are way to short, I like to throw the shifts around a little bit
Old 02-20-2010, 06:47 PM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Xibar, I totally understand what you are getting at . . . and I agree. The stock shifter look, though possibly shorter in length, with a shorter throw is my ideal setup.

However, as someone else mentioned, that shorter throw will require more force. Don't know about other experiences with this car, but the shifter on my GT already seems to require moderate force. The car only has 1100 miles, so maybe it will loosen with break-in . . .
Old 02-20-2010, 06:53 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...fter/index.php

that should answer all your questions
Old 02-20-2010, 06:58 PM
sycd
2nd Gear Member

I have the FRPP/Hurst shifter on my GT. The chrome Hurst stick and white ball were cool for a while, but they were definitely not ergonomic and the look didn't flow with the rest of the interior.

So I kept the shifter, but switched the chrome stick and white ball to a Hurst adapter that allows me to use the Hurst/FRPP shifter but keep the stock shifter ****, which sits at the same height as stock.

With that setup, the shifts are as still short, the **** looks like it belongs there, but it is also more ergonomic. The shifts are not harder. To the contrary, since I can hold the shifter in a better position, I can shift more smoothly, and therefore slightly faster, than with the white ball.

I'm very happy with this setup.

Last edited by sycd; 02-20-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Xibar
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Originally Posted by Xcelsius
At first I was concerned about accessing the lower controls, but I have had no noticeable issues.
That was basically my concern. I have the touchscreen up top with all the buttons down below, so I didn't want the stick to be any more in the way than it already is.

Originally Posted by cidsamuth
Xibar, I totally understand what you are getting at . . . and I agree. The stock shifter look, though possibly shorter in length, with a shorter throw is my ideal setup.

However, as someone else mentioned, that shorter throw will require more force. Don't know about other experiences with this car, but the shifter on my GT already seems to require moderate force. The car only has 1100 miles, so maybe it will loosen with break-in . . .
It's my ideal setup also, and if it works out I'll be happy. I've never noticed any undue amount of force to shift with the stock, other than that "grab" that is apparently very noticeable in the stang. I'm hoping the short-throw will minimize that resistance to putting the stick in gear and make shifting faster. This is the "grabbiest" stickshift I've ever driven.

Quick Reply: Short Throw: The Guts vs The Full Monty