Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

FRPP Power Upgrade Package

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 11:32 AM
Xibar
1st Gear Member

Default FRPP Power Upgrade Package

Has anyone gotten it?

Basically, it consists of a filter, oil, tuner, and muffler kit.

What kind of "power upgrade" can be gained from this, and is the majority just from the retune? Alot of this stuff is still new to me, so it doesn't look like much. FRPP doesn't list any numbers either, so I'm not sure where the "power" really comes from.

The majority of the price also appears to be the mufflers. Are they worth it?

I was considering combining this package with an x-pipe.

Thoughts... opinions.... insults... politically incorrect jokes...?
Old 02-21-2010, 12:44 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

The pope walks into a bar...
Old 02-21-2010, 12:58 PM
ksguy73

The Ford Racing parts website list this pack as giving a 10hp increase. It also shows just the filter and tune as a 9hp increase. Mufflers are pretty much just for sound. I would have to say the sound is worth it though. I haven't tuned my '10 yet but I had the FRPP intake and tune on my '08 and it made a big difference in seat of the pants feel. I haven't decided what tuner I'm going with on this one yet.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:07 PM
mcate
2nd Gear Member

When I bought my 09, it already had the CAI, tune, shorty headers & mufflers, & 4.10 gears installed by the dealership for a potential buyer, whose financing then fell through. Not sure how it works on the 2010's because they already essentially have the "Bullitt tune", but the difference between a stock 09 & mine is dramatic. I test-drove several before buying the one with the mods. The throttle response is greatly improved, & the torque curve seems much more even. I don't know that the headers & mufflers made much of a difference in hp, but they do sound great.
Depending on the price of the package, my guess is you'd be spending $$ more wisely to get a tune from someone like Brenspeed. I've heard nothing but good things about them, & I'm probably going to purchase a tune from them this spring.

Last edited by mcate; 02-21-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:58 PM
GrayGhost01GT
4th Gear Member

Theres plenty of other aftermarket manufactures that are giving alot more performance per dollar, Brenspeed is very good I love my tunes from them, I also have heard alot about tillman all out performance 93 octane tune! JLT makes awesome CAI from what I have heard for the 05-09 crowd, and I have a 10 GT so I would not benefit from it to much since I have the factory CAI, I'll just drop in a K/N and call it a day! Look in the aftermarket world for performance! Hope this helps!
Old 02-21-2010, 02:05 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

OMG, I about pissed myself. The FRPP package, like most of the Ford packages, are total rips. You can get about twice the gain with just a good CAI & custom tune.

The oil filter gains nothing. And everyone that has done their research knows that any work beyond the H-pipe yields no gain.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Xibar
1st Gear Member

So what makes the mufflers so expensive, besides the name?

MORE IMPORTANTLY: The description indicates that the steel will get a layer of rust on it, to protect it from further rust...????

WTeverlovinF?
Old 02-21-2010, 02:39 PM
distantsoldier
2nd Gear Member

You're pretty much paying a lot because it's going to be covered under warranty and because it's Ford. You also still have to pay Ford to install it too though. You would definately get MUCH more from a custom tune/cai combo though! and of course it would be cheaper!
Old 02-21-2010, 07:31 PM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

Hey distantsoldier --

On your signature line, are you claiming 561 hp from a CAI, cat-back exhaust, and custom tune? No other mods?
Old 02-21-2010, 07:34 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cidsamuth
Hey distantsoldier --

On your signature line, are you claiming 561 hp from a CAI, cat-back exhaust, and custom tune? No other mods?
Reread his sig. He's sc'd.

Quick Reply: FRPP Power Upgrade Package