Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Meth Injection: Yes or No???

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Rik08GTvert
1st Gear Member

Question Meth Injection: Yes or No???

I was thinking about getting the mpg-max kit by snow performance but i wanted some input before i buy. does anyone have it? does it actually save gas? how much power output does it produce? would you have problems with other tunes because they have their own little computer thingy?
Old 03-04-2010, 03:37 PM
2010darkblue

I've heard this mod is more for turbocharged cars, but I think they are worth the mone because they give pretty good hp gains. As far as mpg, it will depend on how you use the extra hp
Old 03-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Ronny2010GT
1st Gear Member

The methanol injection kit is meant more for cars that want to safely run higher boost levels. I havn't heard anything about it giving more fuel economy. I'll research it and let you know.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:08 PM
Rik08GTvert
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2010darkblue
I've heard this mod is more for turbocharged cars, but I think they are worth the mone because they give pretty good hp gains. As far as mpg, it will depend on how you use the extra hp
i looked up the website for snow performance and they claim there's different nozzles for different applications. the smallest for naturally aspirated. there was also a project in 5.0 magazine with a shelby gt. they claim its a great mod but i figured id ask around to see if anyone had any problems with the mod.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:36 AM
againstallodds1

I had the snow kit on my car before and my opinion, along with others, is that it is GARBAGE. My reason for that is cause the screw on the pump bottomed out right away, first time I turned it and it is a common problem. Snow performances fix to that is to get a different screw at a hardware store and it will stop. You need to know exactly where that screw is to tune with it, it adjusts pressure. In order to do that you have to screw it all the way in for max pressure and certain turns out turn down the pressure. But if it just keeps turning, you never know where its set.
Another problem I ran into right away was the spray nozzle. Right after the install, we tried it out and it would shoot all over the engine bay. It just would not seal. Nothing would work. I am talking about a brand new kit here, that I couldnt use for 3 weeks after the install till they verified that I bought it brand new from Summit and then they had to make a new fitting and send it in the mail. The only reason I bought it was to use it as a safety precaution and to keep the IATs down. Its not a reliable way to make big power. If you use it instead of using race gas then you have a chance of something going wrong and blowing your motor. All it does is add octane, so you can turn up the timing and not have to worry about detonation, and it keeps the IATs down.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Rik08GTvert
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by againstallodds1
I had the snow kit on my car before and my opinion, along with others, is that it is GARBAGE. My reason for that is cause the screw on the pump bottomed out right away, first time I turned it and it is a common problem. Snow performances fix to that is to get a different screw at a hardware store and it will stop. You need to know exactly where that screw is to tune with it, it adjusts pressure. In order to do that you have to screw it all the way in for max pressure and certain turns out turn down the pressure. But if it just keeps turning, you never know where its set.
Another problem I ran into right away was the spray nozzle. Right after the install, we tried it out and it would shoot all over the engine bay. It just would not seal. Nothing would work. I am talking about a brand new kit here, that I couldnt use for 3 weeks after the install till they verified that I bought it brand new from Summit and then they had to make a new fitting and send it in the mail. The only reason I bought it was to use it as a safety precaution and to keep the IATs down. Its not a reliable way to make big power. If you use it instead of using race gas then you have a chance of something going wrong and blowing your motor. All it does is add octane, so you can turn up the timing and not have to worry about detonation, and it keeps the IATs down.
s**t that sucks. well, power was #2. #1 reason was extra mpg. but if its gonna cause that many problems then i guess ill have to rethink it